My Mark VI "Sister" Build WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
nice :) thats how Im planing on doing my suit to :) good luck to both of us then haha, Ive done the helmet to the bondo stage so I think I have the most of the things clear on how to do it, but thank you I'll ask if I need some help

I just have some problem with all the american brands and find something thats equal them here in sweden

wow fantstic work =D
once again i have come back to this thread and there has been a lot of progress =D
keep it up and your helmet looks perfect =D (lucky)

nice :) thats how Im planing on doing my suit to :) good luck to both of us then haha, Ive done the helmet to the bondo stage so I think I have the most of the things clear on how to do it, but thank you I'll ask if I need some help

I just have some problem with all the american brands and find something thats equal them here in sweden

Ahh yeah a lot of people not in the US seem to have issues finding the right products.Can you order things online perhaps?

wow fantstic work =D
once again i have come back to this thread and there has been a lot of progress =D
keep it up and your helmet looks perfect =D (lucky)

Haha thankyou Roadkill!

Just be really careful with the rondo inside. As long as you can still smell the fumes they are dangerous. fortunately it cures pretty quickly in the right heat. Kudos for ingenuity :)

Shoot, I've been using a respirator but when I go into my house I still definitley smell the fumes a bit. :/ I hope I'm not breathing in a lot of bad stuff!

Ahh yeah a lot of people not in the US seem to have issues finding the right products.Can you order things online perhaps?

as I said b4, I have found the most parts thats equal to the stuff you guys use and I have my helmet redo for "bondoing". The hardest part is done now (researching and testing if I get the same result) now I only have to finish peping rest of the armor and then its a wrap I think :D no need to order anything from the states when sweden has it all ;)

Shoot, I've been using a respirator but when I go into my house I still definitley smell the fumes a bit. :/ I hope I'm not breathing in a lot of bad stuff!

Just keep that window open and fan on for a few hours once everything's dry :) Also all your rondo'd stuff looks awesome. It looks like you were able to get it nice and smooth. This build is definitely progressing very nicely.

I actually have that nerf gun ha have you ever see DaFrontline Troopers builds? he makes his weapons outta styrofoam and they come out incredibly realistic. I was prolly gonna make a DMR outta that with some help from him.

hey guys just wanted to say that I havent posted in a while because I'm putting my project on hold for a couple more weeks when I have vacation and dont have to worry about school and stuff.

are you using female files or the regular file? curious. I am going to start a build myself soon, I'm working on an Iron man helmet with MightyJohns help

are you using female files or the regular file? curious. I am going to start a build myself soon, I'm working on an Iron man helmet with MightyJohns help

I'm using the regular files except for the shins which are halogoddess's female shin files. However I kinda wish I had done the normal shins only because the inside got quite small once I put rondo on the inside. Hope that helps

So I bought a 4 speed chicago electric dremel from Harbor freight while visiting family this week, and got to sanding a bit (without bondo on the outside. I was just sanding down some edges.) Heres a pic of my boot front / back and 1 arm piece. I dont know if you can see or not, but some of the edges have been sanded to be less angular.

I can already tell that sanding is goingto be the MOST annoying and time consuming part of this whole thing. I can also already tell that my armor is goingto be really bumpy :(
I'm goingto do black line detailing in all of the crevices of the pieces though so maybe that will offput some of the bumps/
Anyway here are pics:

Photo266.jpg

Photo265-1.jpg

Photo264.jpg

Photo263-1.jpg

if anyone has some pro-tips for sanding and bondoing that'd be greatly appreciated :D

For bondoing, use light coats.

I added a bit too much bondo on an old ODST lid I had and I ended up scrapping it.

As for sanding, use different types of Sand Paper during the build process. Use some heavy girt while you're in the bonodo stage and then slowly move down to finer grits until you have a nice, smooth surface.

For bondoing, use light coats.

I added a bit too much bondo on an old ODST lid I had and I ended up scrapping it.

As for sanding, use different types of Sand Paper during the build process. Use some heavy girt while you're in the bonodo stage and then slowly move down to finer grits until you have a nice, smooth surface.

thanks for the tips acdc. Ill make sure to do them

I can already tell that sanding is goingto be the MOST annoying and time consuming part of this whole thing. I can also already tell that my armor is goingto be really bumpy :(
if anyone has some pro-tips for sanding and bondoing that'd be greatly appreciated :D

First things first, you don't know that it will be really bumpy. Just because you don't have a mouse sander doesn't mean it'll be bumpy. Look at mine, I did all my sanding by hand. Yes it's time consuming but it was worth the effort :D

Tip for you: When using bondo, try to make the patch you add as smooth to what you are looking for as much as possible. That will eliminate how much body filler that is needed to be sanded down. What ACDC said applies for sanding as well. Start with large grit sand paper and move to smaller grit as you get to your desired shape.
Another tip: Spot putty is your friend. :)

There is also a body filler/bondo video that Crackhead09 put out a while ago on youtube. I'll try to find it for you!

Good progress. The sanding process is a time consuming process so keep up your good work.

thanks for the support sandy

First things first, you don't know that it will be really bumpy. Just because you don't have a mouse sander doesn't mean it'll be bumpy. Look at mine, I did all my sanding by hand. Yes it's time consuming but it was worth the effort :D

Tip for you: When using bondo, try to make the patch you add as smooth to what you are looking for as much as possible. That will eliminate how much body filler that is needed to be sanded down. What ACDC said applies for sanding as well. Start with large grit sand paper and move to smaller grit as you get to your desired shape.
Another tip: Spot putty is your friend. :)

There is also a body filler/bondo video that Crackhead09 put out a while ago on youtube. I'll try to find it for you!

you're right, I just need to put a lot of time into the sanding process. And when I get to putting the bondo on the outside I will make sure that I add it in smaller amounts and make it as smooth as possible before it hardens up.

Thatd be great to have a vid! But if you can't find it thats perfectly fine, I know theres got to be more than just one bondo tutorial vids out there

I was using a technique that Mighty John used instead of bondo he uses joint compound. its less hazardous, a little more dusty, but It is SO MUCH easier to work with. It was very helpful for one of my Ironman Builds

dropping by to check on your build. Looks really good! I'm still slacking=/ I have my whole undersuit bought and the pepakura is kicking my ass. I hope everything goes well with your build!

I have a feeling this is going to be a fantastic suit when you're finished with it. Your progress so far is quite good. Keep it up! We all want to see more! lol.

Rex out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back