My Mjolnir Project Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazyole

Jr Member
Hey guys,

This is the first thread I've posted here and I'm pretty pumped about it. I just want to start off by saying that you guys and this forum are an absolutely fantastic resource and I look forward to being able to contribute to the community.

For my first project I want to make a full suit of MarkVI armor, and despite warnings to do otherwise, decided to start with the helmet (I'm a graphic designer, so I'm quite comfortable with an x-acto and hot glue).

Anyway, I just got the thing fully pepped and I figured it was about time to show some progress here. I've been documenting my process pretty meticulously and hopefully I'll be able to compile my experiences into a noob friendly tutorial or something to pay you guys back for how helpful this site has been.

Here's what I have so far. I'll be going to buy resin/fiberglass today so I can move on:

All things considered I think it's going very well but I do have a quick question about support structures during the resin phase. Obviously I want to use something for support but am reluctant to glue in a bunch of extra supports. I had the idea to use an inflated balloon inside the helmet for support. The more I think about it the more ideal of a solution it seems to be since it would keep pressure on the walls in an outward direction and be very easily removable (I can just pop it when I'm done). What do you guys think?

its looking good. i have tried the balloon idea its works if its not to hot out plus the heat from the resin. but if you pep it rite you shouldnt have to use any support at all

Just put in the supports.

Seriously. A balloon will not expand and apply equal pressure to all surfaces it touches - it wants a certain shape, and that is not the shape of a helmet. You will deform your helmet. At the very least, you will have structural imperfections.

The supports are all designed to specifically fit your helmet and ensure that it maintains the perfect shape throughout the resining process. You can very easily take them out once you've finished applying resin. At that point, the resin will work to maintain its proper shape. If you're not willing to take the time to put in the supports, you're leaving yourself open to all kinds of imperfections. Based on the fact that you went through the work to make an HD helmet, I'm assuming you don't have your bar set that low. Just put in the struts to ensure perfection. It's not that much of a hassle - trust me.

Hmmmm..... That's Flying Sqirl's work isn't it? I've pepped two of those. But yes, as NAGA said: USE THE SUPPORTS.

Alrighty. Thanks for the tips. I was just slightly concerned that they'd be difficult to remove but if it hasn't been an issue for any of you guys I'll just go cut out those struts. You have a good point about the balloon. I guess I just got excited and was looking for an excuse to start applying resin asap.

EDIT: And yeah, it's FS's HD helmet. I'm really amazed at how good it looks. He did a fantastic job putting that file together.

very nice pep work! some people like using popsicle sticks to support the interior so it doesnt warp or collapse under the weight.

Looks like your off to a great start. Don't forget to put in the cross braces. They really do help to keep the form while you are coating it with resin/fiberglass.

~James

I just finished putting in the supports. Now I just need to pick off all the hot glue strings and then head to walmart for the resin!

I'm unnaturally excited about this. Thanks for the help guys. I'll post some pics once I get it resin-ed.

It looks like its coming along very good, nice pep job on the helmet i remember my first pep it was a horrible outcome in it and i learned from my mistakes and now im the wiz with it ( well to my standings and my opinion) lol

Haha, it was challenging for sure. Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on how you look at it) though because I'm a graphic designer I have a fair amount of papercrafting experience which definitely came in handy. That model is complicated...

There's still loads of room for improvement but I'm just happy that it came out more or less symmetrical. I have some small issues on the back and in the stripe that runs down the center but I'm confident I can fix them with bondo.

Hey,

Sorry about the double post but I have a question and figured it would be better than starting a new thread.

What do you guys typically do for Chief's chin vents? Other than those I'm ready to start with resin tomorrow. I'm assuming that since FS's model didn't include a papercraft solution for them, they're typically added on later? Any suggestions as to what to make them out of?

Thanks,

Brian

This part in the red circle? Cheek vents

master-chief.jpg

I believe most people use wire loom.

Yep, that's exactly what I meant. Thanks a lot, that looks like it'll work fine. Just as long as they're not usually papercrafted I can resin today and figure them out later.

Your pepping on this helmet looks good from what I can see.

I recently made the same helmet, and I don't know about you, but there were some pieces for the pep that just did not seem necessary to me, so I didn't print them out. Of course I got the support pieces, but I had pieces to make a layered visor for the pep.......I thought that was a bit odd.

Yeah, I think I used most if not all of the pieces. The pep job came out ok in my estimation. It's a little asymmetrical up top but I figure that will be easily fixed with bondo.

Anyone have any other suggestions for the chin vents or is wire loom the standard solution? I'm considering papercrafting them, that way I can cut out the back once its done and have them serve as actual vents....

On a side note, I finally tracked down the materials today at my local Ace hardware. Fortunately they ended up having everything I need.

I like it! I didn't do a Mark VI, I feel that doing something of that calibure is a little above me at this time. Kind of scary really! Wouldn't wanna dishonor the Masterchief :pBut so far I'm liking what you got. I'll keep an eye out on how you do while I work on my own project.

Well, I should be a pretty good indication since this is my first project overall. Although my papercraft skills are pretty decent as a bi-product of my career choice.

Fiberglassing/resin are completely new to me though. Fingers crossed! Resin gets applied tomorrow!

Kazyole said:
Well, I should be a pretty good indication since this is my first project overall. Although my papercraft skills are pretty decent as a bi-product of my career choice.

Fiberglassing/resin are completely new to me though. Fingers crossed! Resin gets applied tomorrow!

Remember - thin coats. It will dry faster and look cleaner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool. Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately it's raining here today so resin gets put back until tomorrow or until the weather improves.

How many coats do you typically do on the outside before you remove the struts and work the inside? I've gotten kind of conflicting numbers.

Most that I talked to do two coats of resin on the outside. Like everyone says, do em thin it will save you a lot of work later. I wouldn't really take off the supports until the day you do the inside because depending on where you store it even after the resin is applied it may warp. I learned that the hard way on my cod piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back