My MK VI HD build (first pep eva!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

trendkiller

Heya all, well Im finally taking on this massive project hopefully with minimum hair loss. Although I must say reading up on everything FIRST....before posting, I learned alot that has helped me. The first thing I printed out was the helmet, but after looking at it halfway built..it seemed a bit on the big side. =\

2011-05-10161325.jpg

Hello sticky about scaling! yay!

But it was all so confusing! I just hoped that the current pep files would be a universal fit.
right?

2011-06-27195552.jpg

DAMMIT
2011-06-27195618.jpg

2011-06-26145609.jpg

So there goes my first glassed piece that I reinforce coated.... wasted. It wouldn't fit! I was too eager to get it finished and resin'd that I didnt try it on before hand. So my advice, NEVER assume something will fit first off. Measure and scale in Pep THEN print, then assemble,then TEST FIT before you go on to the hardening process. Now lets see if I can start rolling out progress (and sometimes REGRESS) Pics of my builds. I hope other noobs can learn from me and my mistakes or aid me in my time of discouragement from the failures I will probably run into.

Gday
-Raine
a.k.a- Trendkiller
XBOX GT:rabidraine

HURRAY! YOU READ THE STICKIES! BRO HUG! And I am sorry that you hardened it before you tried it on ;( I pepped a helmet that was too small and I was furious, Im sure it was worse in your case. I offer you my congratulations though and you're encouragement, your pepping looks pretty decent.
QUESTION! Are you wearing an organic vapors filter? You should! And you should definitely resin outside unless that's aqua resin.

HURRAY! YOU READ THE STICKIES! BRO HUG! And I am sorry that you hardened it before you tried it on ;( I pepped a helmet that was too small and I was furious, Im sure it was worse in your case. I offer you my congratulations though and you're encouragement, your pepping looks pretty decent.
QUESTION! Are you wearing an organic vapors filter? You should! And you should definitely resin outside unless that's aqua resin.
If you look at the last picture, you can clearly see a can of the Bondo brand Fiberglass Resin. That's not aqua resin! XD

On another note, nice work, even though it may not fit, but..............

PLEASE TELL ME you are NOT doing that stuff inside your house!!!!!! D: Unless you want to die. XD That stuff is HIGHLY toxic and you should not work with it without gloves, protective eye wear and the proper respirator.

LOL, thanks for the encouragement all....when I got down about it I just fired up reach and got a few rounds of slayer going and Pwned some noobs. All better!
Rescaled, reprinted and back to the grindstone!
And ya I use a mask, even though I have been using bondos and resins for years in autobody environments past...I think I have grown immune to it =D
I have gloves and a mask I use sometimes, and from now on I will do the chems outside...it totally smelled up the place and the cats were actin funny all day.

I think I have grown immune to it =D
[...]
it totally smelled up the place and the cats were actin funny all day.

That's only your sense of smell growing accustomed to the smell, not your body growing accustomed to the chemical :)

Also, the smaller the pet, the faster they die from chemical attacks like the one you pulled off there. And I'm not kidding!

LOL, thanks for the encouragement all....when I got down about it I just fired up reach and got a few rounds of slayer going and Pwned some noobs. All better!
Rescaled, reprinted and back to the grindstone!
And ya I use a mask, even though I have been using bondos and resins for years in autobody environments past...I think I have grown immune to it =D
I have gloves and a mask I use sometimes, and from now on I will do the chems outside...it totally smelled up the place and the cats were actin funny all day.
Yeah, that stuff can kill your animals. Definitely use that stuff outside. And you can't really become immune to toxic chemicals. That stuff can still damage your body on the inside. There are people on this site that ended up with permanent damage from using this stuff and not taking proper precautions and are now paying for it. They have posted their stories here to share with others so that hopefully, people that get into armor making will learn from their mistakes.

As for the scaling, ALL armor pieces will need to be re-scaled. Some pieces were scaled for the person that modeled it or it was scaled for the size of Master Chief. XD It's best to measure yourself and convert it to mm then place it in the proper measurement box as long as you know what you measured for whether is was for height, width or depth.

Ya, I was sorta jokin on the resin affecting my kitty and such. I know the dangers from the chemical exposure, I meant that I got used to the smell and it doesn't bother me. But I know the damage long and short term the exposure can cause. I do use a dual organic 3m filter mask and gloves everytime. I don't want someone to read the thread and see that "trendkiller" can take it like a man..so can I. I don't risk it, I use the safety gear everytime my little nooblings!
The whole conversion of scale still kinda confuses me, i mean I get the idea...but since I have the 3d piece made now I can't wrap my head around the idea of measuring the piece likes its 2d (height, width, and depth) So here is what I did and hopefully it will turn out right (im currently assembling thigh #2) I took the measurement of the piece I printed (with no scale adjustment) which was 17 1/2 inches base around the bottom half opening. And measured my actual circumference around the top of my knee area where that armor piece stops and it was...17 1/2. So logically, i figured just upscaling by 10% would give me around 1.7 inches more total area...there fore making the new piece 18 3/4 ish. Assuming that is correct and transfer accordingly in Pep designer, this should fit with some room to move. Im using sewing measuring tape and there is space around bottom of my leg with 19 inches. This theory should work, right?

Well if the conversion is still confusing and you are still unsure as to what to do, read this scaling tutorial:

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/31627-HaloGoddess-quot-How-To-Scale-quot-and-More-Tutorial

It is a tutorial that I created and is pretty thorough. It includes pictures and teaches new people to understand how pepakura works. I think you will find it pretty helpful. :) This is the method that I have always used and I haven't had any issues. And since I suck at math, lol, I use this site:
http://www.convertunits.com/from/inches/to/mm

You will see 2 boxes and if you need to convert inches to mm, just input the inches (such as 9 or 9.5) then click on convert and the number in mm will appear in the box below. You will then only need to work with that number. My tutorial goes into more explanation so you know what to do. :)

DAMMIT! Boots were WAY to big...this was before I scaled anything....hoping things will fit is totally NOT an option. Scaling must be done. lol Now Im having troubles finding the MK VI low res pep files on here =| help anyone?

I'm sure that for most people, the smell of resin or Bondo doesn't actually bother them. I actually kind of like it, and wouldn't mind not using a respirator when I'm handling the stuff. But I know I have to use it if I want to stay out of a hospital...

DAMMIT! Boots were WAY to big...this was before I scaled anything....hoping things will fit is totally NOT an option. Scaling must be done. lol

I really hope you did this before HaloGoddess explicitly stated that not scaling is not an option, and then proceeded to provide info and a tutorial on how to do it. I'm sorry, it's just that I see a lot of people new to armor making try get away with not scaling something when it's really not that difficult to do and it is absolutely necessary. I don't understand why try to avoid it when all signs (and experienced members) point that it has to be done.

Now Im having troubles finding the MK VI low res pep files on here =| help anyone?

All-in-one Halo Pepakura Pack

Ya the boot print was something I first printed out even before posting up the thread. I was just dreading doing the measuring and converting and hoped it would all work out. lol NOT even close...this file had the default size set at like 232 Width! WTF?! lol

ANyhow...now I am cramming my head full of all the knowledge on scaling and measuring before I waste anymore materials and time.

I got the all in one...and found the files :)

Gonna take a look and see what I can get away with doing Low res on a HD helm and chest piece planned armor set.

A really good tip for scaling is to make a chart, one method of scaling is to get pictures of your chosen costume, measure its hieght and divide by your height then you get the scale then measure the length of each part like helmet is 4cm and multiply by scale which in my case is 7.6 which makes it 34.2cm for real life fit :D, This is actually made by someone on this fourm but i cant remember who anyways im not taking credit, and well do that for all your parts, and then find 3 different images and do it all again, write down all the measurements and then compare with each other to find a perfect one :D and see if you can find someone who has already made the armour , and get thier measurements.
In my case, and thanks very much to spitfire :D, aanyways yeah teating the fit is important, for me this is very difficult, i cant test forearm and shins, because i have very wide feet, making the hole for my foot small :(, same for hands, wide hands, and i have to wait till im done resinging to see if i can sqeeze my feet/hands through. And for boots well use the Low Definition files to test and test till you got it right :D

How the hell am I suppose to get any work done with this happening!!!

IMG_6739.jpg

You know, I usually throw up in mouth a little when I see the "adorable cat" photos, but even I have to admit this photo is great. I'm getting ideas for a new line of pet beds.....hmm....maybe I can make my millions after all. LOL

Lol, ya I would have been pissed...but this was the first LD print that was scaled waaaaaay to big. Makes a good bed I suppose. Lol. On the progress side....
2011-07-07183711.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back