n00b Carter helmet build

Status
Not open for further replies.

WatIsSep

Jr Member
This is my second attempt at building a helmet. Took more care working with the PEP, although this was a much higher detailed helmet and I did struggle with a few parts but all in all I thought it went well. So far i've put a few coats of resin on the exterior, fiberglassed the interior (insert interior
), cut the visor out, and I am now in the process of applying and shaping the bondo!
I am having a little trouble getting nice clean sharp edges latley, I've tried block sanding and using a Dremel, any tips would be greatly appreciated!
5003740832_acc92e0b52_z.jpg

Pep'd and Resined (First coat)

5007757322_0874364eb7_z.jpg

More resin, fiberglass, visor cut, beginning of bondo (I also had to cut a few bits out that i failed on peping properly

5007150279_a657501971_z.jpg

5007753856_2e27bfd91b_z.jpg

Test fitting padding

Last edited by a moderator:
Sharp edges aren't the most desireable thing any more once you enter the bondo-stage. After all, look around you, what objects do have a really sharp edge? Almost none. Especially not if they've been to combat. A slightly rounded edge will in many cases be the better choice and also support any weathering you may want to do later on.

Nice idea with the padding by the way, I'm sure that feels really fomfortable :)

Nice work with the helmet...look forward to seeing it complete. I like the padding...was looking at a ski helmet I have also :)

@ Venture - Thanks for the tips! now that i think about it a slighly rounded edge would make a tad more sense haha.
@ Sabre - Thanks. Do it it's worked well for me! Mine was a perfect fit. I was going to use a motorcycle helmet padding but this fit a little more snug. I can jump around like a retard without it shifting on my head

UPDATE TIME!!!! Been busy finishing uni for the year so have only just got the chance to do some work. In the process of refining the surfaces on the helmet and fixing a few problem areas with the pep file. Inaccuracys ect.

_CSC7127.jpg

_CSC7126.jpg

_CSC7125.jpg

I also started work on the chest piece. One piece at a time baby.

Photo0069.jpg

Photo0068.jpg

Photo0070.jpg

Ski helmets, BMX helmets, motocross helmets, they all work great! full sized motor cycle helmets a slightly too big but it depends on what helmet you are making

just a little update. the helmet itself is pretty close to being ready for paint! just gota fill in a few little areas and tidy up the collar area. I have started adding foam padding to the top odf the helm and adding extra padding to the ski helnet lining. Fitting really snug now. Just need to figure out how to secure it permanently...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v162/wankywank/Photo0068.jpg

it's my first real attempt at making a helm. i have a high level of quiality control tho so i tend to over do it on the details :p but i suppose that's a good thing

Small little update. Just doing some final spot filling and surface sanding for my first undercoat of paint! no to start shopping for visors!

_DSC7288.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back