New Hd Iron Man Mk V Suitcase Helmet Done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hikuro said:
Only question I got is the scaling, right now the last Ironman helmet I made was set at 347mm and it's huge and some what unattractive now. How's this gonna be different?

its scaled at 26.2 cm. That means from the very bottom of the chin to the highest point of the helmet is 26.2 or 10.3 inches. So it should be able to fit your head. If not, you have a huge head :p

what helmet file was the last one you used?

shadow8136 said:
What I meant by re-unfolding means:

EDIT: @Ironerd

Oh, I didn't know that, thanks!

Your unfolding is great, and all I'm doing is just making whoever prints this use less paper. =D

I'm just doing the same thing I did with the file you provided on the first page.

You had 14 pages, and I reduced it to 10 pages. =3

I don't know whether his or mine will preserve more detail, but I guess it's up to the person to pick which file to use. =]

Code:
http://www.mediafire.com/?mcdj4e4jzd2

Enjoy =]

Well the problem with "hd" files is you don't want to try and cut detail in the pieces to save paper as much as you normally would. Some of the HD masterchief chest pieces are well over 40 pages. i believe there is one upwards of 75 pages floating around somewhere. I really like having the biggest pieces possible to fit on pages with some relative organization. When you start cramming pieces here and there you lose organization as well as smoothness of the model

Jordy said:
I scaled it as large as I could without the larger/longer pieces going off the page. I'm still thinking it may be too small. JUST. (I'm 6'0, after I finish pepping the head piece I'l let you know how it fits.)

Btw I didn't get around to starting this until late last night, and I've only done the top of the head and one side so far. I'm building the 2.0 :pI dont have enough paper to print a new one.

I hope it goes well for you! there were some problems with the unfold around the chin gap that were fixed in 2.1 and also the eyes are easier for 2.1. I hope it isnt too much of a problem on 2.0 for you.

shadow8136 said:
I'm going to build v2.1 just to see what it's going to look like. =]

Wish me luck! =D

good luck bro, i cant wait to see someone pep this bad boy

Last edited by a moderator:
This helmet looks absolutely superb Dubean. I want to thank you so much for making this file! I can't wait to get started on this baby! You have saved me from the hardwork of making another crappy 3rd helmet! :D

Finhead said:
Very nice Dub. :cool I'll have to have a go at this when your sure your all done with it. :p

Thank you Fin!

Bahaha! i know right? I think ill wait to get some feedback on how easy it is to build. Depending on that will determine if later changes are made. I am quite happy with it now though... Yours would really be something to behold. I hope you do have a go at it

The King Cobra said:
This helmet looks absolutely superb Dubean. I want to thank you so much for making this file! I can't wait to get started on this baby! You have saved me from the hardwork of making another crappy 3rd helmet! :D

gah i better not let all these compliments get to my head! Its really quite flattering though! haha thanks Cobra. I really hope this one works out for you. Judging from your last builds, this one should look really great. You can really do the small pep detail well

dubean33 said:
Thank you Fin!

Bahaha! i know right? I think ill wait to get some feedback on how easy it is to build. Depending on that will determine if later changes are made. I am quite happy with it now though... Yours would really be something to behold. I hope you do have a go at it

gah i better not let all these compliments get to my head! Its really quite flattering though! haha thanks Cobra. I really hope this one works out for you. Judging from your last builds, this one should look really great. You can really do the small pep detail well

You'll never be happy with it, I know all about that. Perfect is the enemy of good enough. ;) And you deserve the compliments. :cool

Oh and replyed to you PM.

llinformerll said:
If we are still voting on the helmets I choose War Machine. I have faith that you will do it justice.

Yeah the demand for war machine is much higher at this point than that of the mark 5. Will both of them done eventually. War machine will be quite a challenge for me. and take a long long time. Still though, thats how you learn and grow. Doing this stuff on you own is very tough but extremely rewarding. Cant wait till i'm really good at this stuff.

Thanks for your confidence!

Finhead said:
You'll never be happy with it, I know all about that. Perfect is the enemy of good enough. ;) And you deserve the compliments. :cool

Oh and replyed to you PM.

I know what you mean buddy, as an artist i was never completely satisfied with how things turned out. There is ALWAYS more you can do but sometimes you just have to put the brush (or mouse in this case) down and be happy for what it is.

le-yo-ra said:

Holy crap, over!!!

I leave for a few hours, and when I get back, there's 30+ new posts here... sheesh guys... get a job. :p

Anyhoo... I'll have to run down to Home Depot tomorrow and get an acurate list of parts and alternatives and such and post them... dang you Doob, for being so fast, now I have to work to keep up.

Ok... at the request of Dubean, I'll post the image of the rough hinge design with an explanation, though it's pretty self exlanatory (did I spell that right?).

Ok... I threw this together in about 10 minutes...

gallery_20337_2083_11686.jpg

-The red thing is the outside of the helmet where the ear cover is.

-The green thing is the inner part of the bottom neck cover.

-The white ring is the outter part of the mechanism, and attaches to the inside of the ear cover. It would work better if it were made of PVC pipe, but if somone's bored enough, they could pep it.

-The blue ring is the inner part of the mechanism and rides inside of the white ring; it is attached to the outside of the bottom neck peice. Also, should be made of PVC.

-The gray thing in the middle is a tapered head screw that might need to be cut to length, but connects the outter helmet and the inner neck thingy together. Can't be too tight, or we're all screwed. The tapered head can be either inside or outside. The outside will be covered up by that groovy slot thing that is already there. The builder might have to get fancy with nylon washers and stuff to make it slide nice and smooth, but it's a quick, easy, and cheap way to pull it off.

The catch... the ear cover will have to be permanently attached to the outter helmet.

Edit: fixed the image link... can everyone see it??? :eek

If anyone is interested. I modified the helmet to take out the tiny little detail parts to make it easier to pep. Someone else will have to unfold it. I hope you don't mind, Dubean. If you do, let me know and I'll take this post and the file down.

I also changed the face plate just the tiniest bit to make the sides of it a little flatter.

Dubean-Easier_Pep-Samuray.pdo

I'm about to get indignant on your behalf, Doob...

*deep breath*... why does everyone feel they need to reinvent the wheel??? Dubean made us an excellent 16 page, already unfolded model of his fantastic iron man helmet... Pepping is a pain in the @$$, get over it... quit trying to re-do his work... quick sharp-shootering his topic. IF somone complains about the cruel and unusual method of pepping for the file, THEN feel free to re-unfold it, re-model it, re-scratch your hiney with it... If you need to practice, practice fixing something that still sucks, or just build your own. We all appreciate the gesture, but quit trying to make your mark in other people's sand box.

This isn't pointed at you, personall, sammy... it's for everyone out there that keeps doing this. I've done it in the past too, I'll admit, but I know better now, so I'm spreading the word.

... ok... I think I'm done.

Samuray said:
If anyone is interested. I modified the helmet to take out the tiny little detail parts to make it easier to pep. Someone else will have to unfold it. I hope you don't mind, Dubean. If you do, let me know and I'll take this post and the file down.

I also changed the face plate just the tiniest bit to make the sides of it a little flatter.

Dubean-Easier_Pep-Samuray.pdo

The whole point of this model was to have all the tiny little details.. this isn't supposed to be an easy pep job. its "HD" ha. Not so much in the ...resolution (right word? im not sure) of the model, but at least in the detail aspects of it. Essentially the model you posted is the original sharkhead helmet with some fixed proportions and my eye pieces

Quartermain3000 said:

*deep breath*... why does everyone feel they need to reinvent the wheel??? Dubean made us an excellent 16 page, already unfolded model of his fantastic iron man helmet... Pepping is a pain in the @$$, get over it... quit trying to re-do his work... quick sharp-shootering his topic. IF somone complains about the cruel and unusual method of pepping for the file, THEN feel free to re-unfold it, re-model it, re-scratch your hiney with it... If you need to practice, practice fixing something that still sucks, or just build your own. We all appreciate the gesture, but quit trying to make your mark in other people's sand box.

This isn't pointed at you, personall, sammy... it's for everyone out there that keeps doing this. I've done it in the past too, I'll admit, but I know better now, so I'm spreading the word.

actually 2.1 is only 14 pages :phaha

But thanks, i appreciate your point of view!

dubean33 said:

Aaack!!! You've stolen the wind from my sails! Now I sitteth here, in the deep waters; the Earth yeildeth not it's fair breath with which I tack. I lie here, in my sinking vessel as a leaf, drifting hither and thither, wherever the gentle currents may. Will not somone lower an olive branch, that I may live? Will somone not draw me from the vast ocean of obscurity, and eminent doom?

Okay everyone! i come bearing a NEW gift! i know its not everyones top choice on their christmas list from me *cough war machine helmet*, but i think you all will like it ALMOST as much.

Here is a little teaser!

mkv1.png

mkv2.png

mkv3.png

just doing the mods from my helmet to turn in to this took me SO much longer than i thought. Building War Machine will be a painful and mind numbing experience for me. Thats why i decided to go with this one first. I still need more experience haha :)

Enjoy! this will be unfolded tomorrow. still lots of tweaks and details to verify before i get there. I know not all the "cuts" are in the exact spots yet, so don't critique it too heavily. But still i wanna hear your thoughts on it.

- Ian

unheared said:
that mark V look awesome.

Thanks, im pretty happy with how its turning out! There aren't too many references of it, but i screencapped the 1080p movie trailer and found a few pics from the book "Art of Iron Man 2". someone scanned lots of the pages and there were a few of the Mk-V

Quartermain3000 said:

It's something that I started doing for myself and I thought others might benefit from it and I also said that if Dubean wasn't cool with it, I can take down the post and the file. I'm sorry if you guys took it as an afront. I'm not trying to take away from what Dubean has done just like I'm sure he's not trying to take away from Sharkhead or Dungbeetle by modifying their files. No one complained about the original files at first either, but Dubean thought that something could be better about it, so he fixed and as a courtesy (I assume) he was nice enough to post it for our enjoyment. As for my changes, I like the way that the new helmet looks better than the Sharkhead/Dungbeetle hybrid looked, but I like easier peps and then adding details later. I didn't unfold it, because I wasn't and I'm still not sure I want to re-do another helmet at this point, but I thought someone could benefit from it before I made my decision.

dubean33 said:
The whole point of this model was to have all the tiny little details.. this isn't supposed to be an easy pep job. its "HD" ha. Not so much in the ...resolution (right word? im not sure) of the model, but at least in the detail aspects of it. Essentially the model you posted is the original sharkhead helmet with some fixed proportions and my eye pieces

As for the "sharkhead helmet with some fix proportions", that can be a big thing for people. That's essentially what all of us have been doing with our files since the original Sharkhead and Dungbeetle helmets were put up.

Anyways, I'm not looking to start a fight or anything. Just thought I'd explain myself. I'll stop posting in this thread now. I'd hate for this thread to be locked because it became some kind of flame war.

Again, Dubean, great job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back