New Member, Starting An ODST Build!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vRinzler

Hey, guys first off I wanna say everyone here so far has been super friendly and I'm impressed with how nice and friendly this community seems at first glance. Anyway, I have a Halloween contest I'm looking to enter so that means a little more than a month to start and finish my first armor. I chose the ODST armor as I like it and it seems like a good start. I have a habit of going big with my costumes and last year won a contest with my Silent Hill Pyramid Head Costume. Real metal helmet, 5-foot steel sword (Easily 65-70 pounds and super top heavy) and fabricated stilts. So needless to say I'm pretty creative, but this project seems like its gonna challenge me. I've elected to go with EVA Foam. Any tips would be appreciated!

First off, watch Andrew DFT (his templates are not accurate, but his quality of work is amazing) Punished props, and Evil Ted on youtube. They will show you pointers and how to work with foam. Don't take any shortcuts!

Next, ALWAYS have VERY SHARP blades. Get yourself some razor blades and a stick knife sharpener if you don't already have one. Keep your blades sharp. When you cut, try to cut in one long, continuous movement. That will save you a choppy seam in the future.

Thirdly, Pay very close attention to your seams. ALL of them. They will make or break the project, especially since you don't have any wiggle room in your schedule to go back and touch them all up. A month barely lets you finish, much less iron out the kinks, so work efficiently. A stitch in time saves nine...thousand. Remember the old addage when it comes to seams: "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast." - Mark Wahlberg's character, the Shooter.

Fourthly, take a break every once in a while so you don't get burned out. It's a lot of fun, but it's also a lot of work. Sounds like you know that already. Just remember to pace yourself and you'll do fine.

Fifthly, take pictures and keep us updated on the forum. We have a lot of advice and a ton of information, but we can't help if you don't let us know what's going on. haha.

I am super excited to see how it turns out. Good luck!

Sounds like a plan I looked up DFT and he's got some cool stuff. Id love to incorporate some more advanced things like pouches and lights. Think it's a great start!

Following up on Sean Anwalt's comment, seriously have a sharp knife. You will only get a couple to maybe 6 passes through the foam, before your cut will start to tear and get ragged. Bad seams require a lot of work to fix. I scrapped out a Halo 3 Mark VI that was fully assembled, because I had bad seams and could not get it to come together.

VRinzler, I have to point out that odst is a good first build, but your time is limited and so is mine for my project. Try and get at least 2 or more pieces done a weekend to be onto of things and create a schedule so you don't get behind. Stay on top of things and be determined! Also, if using contact cement, wait for it to dry out and not be sticky before gluing it. And wait a little before that. I always rush myself and get bad seals :D

VRinzler, I have to point out that odst is a good first build, but your time is limited and so is mine for my project. Try and get at least 2 or more pieces done a weekend to be onto of things and create a schedule so you don't get behind. Stay on top of things and be determined! Also, if using contact cement, wait for it to dry out and not be sticky before gluing it. And wait a little before that. I always rush myself and get bad seals :D

That sounds like some solid advice! I'm hoping to get it looking as good as possible!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back