New recruit here, with his first question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
1564606212803.png

So when I am looking at some of the pieces in the 2d viewer, the edge id numbers are jumbled together. Do i still have to keep them when I print or do i remove them?

I would suggest keeping them on. Because they are overlapping or close edges they will look like this but for bigger connecting pieces I find it helpful to have them.

Just leave them or cut to where the template lines are. These are used for when you have 2 pieces that need to connect to eachother. if you can't figure it out looking at the edge numbers, look for where that piece connects to in pepakura (using the join option) and you will be able to guide it to that point if that makes sense. my ODST helmet had the same thing with some of the small pieces.

You can turn off the Edge IDs if you want to see what kind of fold lines are. Hope this is helpful, if not just say so and hopefully someone else can answer!

Thanks for the tip! Gonna work on it right now
Good luck! also I highly suggest checking THIS TUTORIAL (on scoring/folding) for once you get done cutting for scoring your lines, it makes it easier to fold the paper and get the pieces connecting correctly. I suggest the pen method so you don't tear the paper. You can also score lines before cutting if you want to as well.

IMG_0053[1].JPG

So this is one of my first prints. I feel like I am doing something wrong though, like the pieces feel a bit small and the cutting and folding edges are barely visible (I measured my head in inches so I scaled the helmet to it). There is also the fact the some of the pieces are cut off by the edge of the paper even though in the 2d viewer they fit.

Most folding edges are small, they are just used to overlay onto other pieces. Enough small pieces will make something big as long as it was scaled.

I still don't know what to do about the edges, is there something that can make them stand out more or it's fine the way it is?

When i get to that point, I disregard them altogether. They are so small because the program is trying to make a lot of flat surfaces round. So long as the two pieces you're trying to mate are aligned, you don't really need to read the numbers; sometimes they just get in the way.

Not completely wrong, no. You're doing an HD pep so the pieces are going to be tiny and mind boiling hard to glue together. It could be easier if you "unfolded" it differently, but that is a more advanced concept. I'd recommend starting with something less detailed to give you the basics before overwhelming yourself.

If you are set on doing this then I'd recommend turning off edge IDs. As you can see on these tiny pieces the numbers just get in the way. As long as you can glue them together while looking at the computer you will be fine. Definitely read some more tutorials for tips and tricks. There is one by Frozensnot in the armory I recommend. I've also done quite a bit of step by step in my earlier builds.

Regardless, you do need to change the printer and paper settings. As you said, it is set to A4, but in America our paper is Letter. It won't print right until you change the paper type in Pepakura. It is set by whoever saved the original file, always check it.

Edit: just to clarify, you are doing a Pepakura build correct? Not a foam one.

Yeah, I am doing a Pep build. So do you have any recommended less detailed helmet files like this? Cause I only chose these files because they were highly rated.

Yeah, I am doing a Pep build. So do you have any recommended less detailed helmet files like this? Cause I only chose these files because they were highly rated.
You could always try doing a less detailed section of the helmet. Usually an area with big peices that are more rectangular than reaching out all over the place. Just to get the idea. Then connect the other ones and work outwards

My suggestion was to start with something smaller and less detailed than a helmet, like the bicep or shoulder.
If you're doing all pep he is right, my only pep piece is my helmet and I think it turned out decent for a first try on pep. So just be patient and it should come together. if not, use that experience to make one you're happy with.

Alright I am done cutting out my pieces for the top half of my helmet and onto the gluing stage, is there something I should do in advance, like getting some sort of mold to keep the helmet's shape? I am currently using a hot glue gun to hold the pieces together until I have to apply the resin.

Alright I am done cutting out my pieces for the top half of my helmet and onto the gluing stage, is there something I should do in advance, like getting some sort of mold to keep the helmet's shape? I am currently using a hot glue gun to hold the pieces together until I have to apply the resin.
Build symmetrically and try your hardest to get the lines to match up with eachother. Also be sure to score the scoring lines like in the guide I linked to earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back