New recruit wondering where to start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archerish

Hey, I haven't done any prop making before, can somebody give me some advice?

I want to make a Halo 3 helmet (I think it's the MK VI Helmet) but I'm not sure which materials I should make it out of.
Is it easier to use EVA foam if I want to use the helmet for a costume? I've seen people use paper but I'm not sure how they made it sturdier so they could wear it.
Also, would I need to seal the helmet if I decide to paint it?

Thanks in advance!

Hello Lostastronaut! Welcome to the 405th. Several factors go into how you build your armor. A lot of people use foam because it's cheaper and lighter than Pepakura (paper). Pepakura requires a lot more finishing with resin, bondo and sanding. it also takes more time and costs more money however it also produces an actually physically hard material. It's up to you to decide how you'd like to make your armor!

Start with this link where you can find great tutorials for foam and pep!
Here is a starting tutorial for Foam

and here is one to start with for Pepakura

I highly recommend you go through each tutorial for each method and pick out which one is best for you! I look forward to seeing your progress in your build thread!

Foam can be tough to hold into tight compound curves. To avoid frustration you could do something less challenging than a helmet. Maybe just a boot cover to get some practice with the foam first. Either way good luck! and happy reading!

Last edited:
Foam can be tough to hold into tight compound curves. To avoid frustration you could do something less challenging than a helmet. Maybe just a boot cover to get some practice with the foam first. Either way good luck! and happy reading!
I agree... you should probably start with an easier piece... if u mess up on the foot no one will notice... but hey, I started with my helmet so I guess I shouldn't be the one telling u this... :lol:

Hey, I haven't done any prop making before, can somebody give me some advice?

I want to make a Halo 3 helmet (I think it's the MK VI Helmet) but I'm not sure which materials I should make it out of.
Is it easier to use EVA foam if I want to use the helmet for a costume? I've seen people use paper but I'm not sure how they made it sturdier so they could wear it.
Also, would I need to seal the helmet if I decide to paint it?

Thanks in advance!
There are many different materials you can use to make things. When crafting with paper, fiberglass resin used used to reinforce the material to make it hard. I am biased twards foam as I think it is easy to use and cheap, but it is all preference based. Certain materials such as foam are highly recommended to be sealed(but dont necessarily have to be). To give you an idea on what to expect or do, do some research on the forums to get you started. There are some excellent youtube videos out there to give you an idea on what does what and how people make things. I reccomend you watch some and explore the forums for threads on how people made their suits and props, aswell as builds of the things you want to make

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back