Next Halo Author Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Bradley

Sr Member
Just spotted this over at Kotaku and was surprised nobody had posted it here.
Greg Bear penning Forerunner Trilogy

A mysterious ancient race worshiped by the Covenant as gods, the Forerunners wiped themselves off the face of the universe to help stem the tide of the Flood, for all the good that did. Announced this weekend by Bungie's Frank O'Connor at the Emerald City Comic Con (thanks Colin!), the Forerunner Trilogy will explore this ancient race and their ties to humanity, as revealed in Halo 3.

The first book in the Forerunner Trilogy is due in 2010 from Tor Books.

I didn't know much about Greg Bear but heard that he's a 'noted Science Fiction author" so I looked him up:

Gregory Dale Bear (born August 20, 1951) is an American science fiction and mainstream author. His work has covered themes of galactic conflict (Forge of God books), artificial universes (The Way series), consciousness and cultural practices (Queen of Angels), and accelerated evolution (Blood Music, Darwin's Radio, and Darwin's Children). Bear, Gregory Benford, and David Brin also wrote a trilogy of prequel novels to Isaac Asimov's famous Foundation trilogy with Bear credited for the middle book in the trilogy.

Source: wiki

Here's his website: http://www.gregbear.com/

Soooooo. What do you guys think? Is this where the Halo series is headed??? Will we see games about the forerunners? Would you play games called Halo that have nothing to do with Master Chief or UNSC Marines??? What would these games be like?

Discuss!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, 100,000 years before the events of Halo... I think we'd be talking about a different storyline altogether. No Spartans, no relationship to the characters we know. (Maybe except the Monitors and the Halo's themselves.)

I think this will be a back story that answers all the questions we've had about the forerunners and their war with the Flood.

Could you love a Halo story that had only setting or ancillary characters in common with the storyline of the game and previous novels?

Books about the forerunner are going to be no fun demystifying all the history. Unless bungie is making a forerunner game....

one of my biggest disappointment with Halo 2 and 3 is that the Forerunner's story was never really expanded. We didn't learn much more about them, who they were, how they lived.
It will be interesting to see where he takes this....but I'd rather play a game about them. To actually "see" the action.
And I just don't feel like reading books about them, I've only read the first 3 halo books.

to be honest i found the books a little boring reading but listening to as an audio book made them alot more interesting still waiting for cole protocol to be audiofied
but at least we will find out about the forrunners and what they look like

I would have to agree with Adam. I like the mystery surrounding the Forerunners and I think shedding too much light on them is probably not a good idea.
Case in point: Star Wars Prequels.

I am still wondering if they are ever going to finish up the story line they Started with Ghosts of Onyx and if we ever going to find out the purpose of the Shield world.

cole protocal is on audio... audible.com

Books are much more fun to read, than be read to in my opinion. I do standby my opinion. I hated contact harvest, because I didn't want to learn more about the politics of the covies. I like to just wonder about it. Imagination is much better than being told about it .

So do we think that fan reaction to this is going to hinge on whether it's paired with a new game?

I'd hazard to guess that stuff like ODST and Halo Wars are leading the fans toward accepting that Master Chief isn't the beginning and end of the Halo Universe. IMHO, they're preparing us for the inevitable swap to another story...

Would a Forerunner game be accepted better or worse because of it's Halo connection?

Cadet said:
I am still wondering if they are ever going to finish up the story line they Started with Ghosts of Onyx and if we ever going to find out the purpose of the Shield world.

The shield worlds purpose was to shield the last of the forerunners from the halo blasts
as the book said
Halos are the sword
onxy is the shield

translation shield blocks a sword so the shield world was designed to shield from the blast thus preserving the forerunner race (but for some reason they nvr got inside at least as far as we know)

that what makes me interested in the new books maybe we will find out but probably not

the reason i like audio books is because i nvr have enough time to read plus i sleep better when a book is being read to me
(anyone makes a joke about me being 18 and having someone read me a bed time story i will severly maim and leave for dead on some flood infested planet)

i must admit i prefer eric nylen as the author i think he gave it a bit more substance then the other two have - the guy who wrote CP as i haven't read/listened to it yet(partly why i lost intrest in CH)

Why are you guys going to write about the forerunners AGAIN?

They are already in our history books, soap operas, and Mtv what more forerunner can you ask for?

JK :p

I think they should. I want to know how they lived and if they had a type of Xbox Live.

-Pony (y) (y) (y)

I find it funny how nobody ever talks about the forerunners. There's tons of info about them already! And I'm sure bungie already has a plotline for a new game. I'm not entirely sure if the info is on the wiki, but does anyone know what I'm talking about? Did anyone else besides me that actually read the dialogue going on in the terminals on H3? When you accessed all the terminals in order on the game, it revealed an entire in depth story about two forerunners. A father and a son. The son was the librarian, and was catalouging species to help them escape being destroyed by the rings. He was on earth when the flood killed him and then they fired the rings. But he did manage to save one species. Can you guess which one? ;) Sorry if this was already known, but I just felt like sharing it. Oh, and another thing, there's a secret ending in the terminal on the level halo, when you beat it on legendary, that explains why bungie is definetely not leaving the halo series any time soon. I'm pretty sure I already could pretty much tell you what the exact plotline for the book is going to be based on the information from the terminals in game.

But regardless, I still looking forward to the new book! That guy sounds like a promising writer :)

adventSpartanMatrix said:
The shield worlds purpose was to shield the last of the forerunners from the halo blasts
as the book said
Halos are the sword
onxy is the shield

Yes, I do understand that the Shield Words were refuges from the blast f the Halos, should have been more specific. I want to know why it was that the Forerunners built the Shield Worlds and then appeared to not use them, so if you're not going to use them, what is the purpose in building them. I'd like to know what happened that they were not used, or were they in fact used and the Forerunners got out later?

Cadet said:
agreed, thats what i care about the most. if they made a game that tied or had stuff to do with this, it might unite the casual halo player with the hardcore story fanboy. it would be awesome for the book readers, but the media wouldnt eat it up as much as the pure dumb fun that was halo 3

Slightly related: Two book announcements in two days: Halo 'Encyclopedia" announced by DK Publishing.

So here we go again. Kotaku got it first... Then HBO confirmed that this isn't the 'Halo Story Bible" that Bungie refers to regularly.

Halo Encyclopedia Shoots for Bookshelves this Fall
DK Publishing, fine reference book publisher of things all things useful, historical, mundane and incredibly nerdy, will pack 350-plus pages worth of Halo universe material into the encyclopedia. With topics ranging from characters, weapons, vehicles, equipment, and locations from each and every Halo game, no piece of Bungie-spawned lore looks to be unexplored. The publisher pegs the book's release for November, but retailers show a mid-October date.

Not much info other than that. Sounds like it should be an excellent reference for us.

Might have to suit up for the release of these books... :lol:

DK Publishing's Star Wars: visual Dictionaries were always pretty cool, so I will definately be picking one of these up, most likely suited up :)

Damn, i still haven't read the Cole protocol.
I really hope they don't write any books about the forerunners, they are the "supreme" race of the universe (albeit the extinct supreme race) they have the whole mysterious quality about them, if they write a book on them it will completely spoil it all. Just like Adam said: "Imagination is much better than being told about it ."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back