No More Glassing Or Bondo For Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

mabolzichjjl

Jr Member
the whether doesn't permit the use of bondo or resin this week and maybe some of next.

its forecast to have a high in the mid to upper 40's this week here in florida. im sure all you northern guys know how it goes. but i learned in a hurry that resin doesnt set and bondo never really hardens in 50 or below temps. so it looks like im stuck. i have one more thing to pep and ill have a complete pepped suit. other than that, its down to resining, glassing, and bondoing.

such a bummer.

i do have a question though.

i put on a couple of pieces of glassed parts of my suit and got itchy almost instantly..

is there any way to coat the inside of the parts after they've been glassed to seal in all those nasty fibers? ESPECIALLY around the edges of the parts where the excess glass got trimmed. i was thinking edge trimming (like, the stuff for cars) but im not sure how well it'll work. or if it will stay

I have seen some people rubberize the inside of the pieces. I have thought about this as well. What about buying some of the spray-on rubber coating to spray the inside with?

I know some people brush on the plastidip (found in most hardware stores)inside of plastic helmets and such.. That might be an option instead of the under coating

Wyoming is even worse....i have not been able to do anything like that for a couple of months now...

I think i would try the rubber for the inside...

while not as bad as the northern people I know what you mean Mab I live a few hours north of you and its been 10-20 degree's colder,.. I can't resinate,.. or try out this new plastic I ordered it,.. it doesnt set in temperatures this low, I just need a nice well ventilated, heated workshop heh

I know what you mean, A hair dry works wonders! If you feel like standing in the cold for about 20 mins. If you do do that make sure you're venting the already heated air that's inside the piece you're working on back into the hair dryer's air intake so it get's hotter.

mabolzichjjl said:
is there any way to coat the inside of the parts after they've been glassed to seal in all those nasty fibers? ESPECIALLY around the edges of the parts where the excess glass got trimmed. i was thinking edge trimming (like, the stuff for cars) but im not sure how well it'll work. or if it will stay

I think a thin coat of polyurethane resin should do it. Plus, it'll increase the strength.

Last edited by a moderator:
40 degree weather stops you from fiberglassing and using bondo? That should only slightly slow you down. I use fiberglass, resin and bondo in -10 degree weather. Just use two times the amount of hardiner you usually use, and when the resin/bondo is still tacky after 6 hours of drying, simply sprinkle some baby pouder or corn startch on the armour part. It will dry the resin/bondo right out.

Remember everybody, you can always adapt to your climate when using resin/bondo. Its best to know how to use those things in cold weather, expecially for those of you down in florida with the warmest winter weather I have ever experianced first hand.

Just in case anybody was wondering, it's currently 72 degrees, blue skies, and sunshine out here in SoCal. Just sayin :p

It's way too cold to resin/bondo here too... I gotta somehow magically heat up my always cold garage.

yep, had - 7 wind chill and ATM a foot of snow. first time we've had snow like this in 5 years

Xtreme TACTICS 101 said:
40 degree weather stops you from fiberglassing and using bondo? That should only slightly slow you down. I use fiberglass, resin and bondo in -10 degree weather. Just use two times the amount of hardiner you usually use, and when the resin/bondo is still tacky after 6 hours of drying, simply sprinkle some baby pouder or corn startch on the armour part. It will dry the resin/bondo right out.

Remember everybody, you can always adapt to your climate when using resin/bondo. Its best to know how to use those things in cold weather, expecially for those of you down in florida with the warmest winter weather I have ever experianced first hand.

Question is does the baby powder or corn starch weaken the fiberglass strength or does it make it stronger in any way?

Last edited by a moderator:
-5c here and it hasn't stopped me.

Well thats not exactly true as it did, but only because I got too cold. :)

Edited to add:- I would be worried if my bodyfiller hadn't kicked after fifteen minutes let alone six hours!. Just use a hair dryer, quick and easy.

snowman_5.jpg

these lil snowmen sure arent complaining

as MKS81 said, rubberizeing the inside?

like plasti dip?

plasti-dip-can.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back