Noble six Helmet (Poss. whole suit?) -Dagoth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aye man. Looking good so far. What a task to undertake for your first big build. Thw commando helmet is looking good. Heres my advice though. Beforw you go cutting it up for you bros helmet, if you have reach put ur spartans helmet as commando, then watch the welcome to reach intro. Itll be the one where your character hasnt got a helmet on. This will show u how much ull have to take off. Itll show were padding should be around the base to. This way it stays game accurate and hopefully practical also. Keep up the good work man.

Keanu

Just an update here guys:

Since finals are coming up in a few days, I may not be able to continue my progress until the weekend.
It's my b-day today! (June 5th)

I thank you for that advice, will do man.

So big BIG problem here for the Pilot helmet: The jagged connector that goes to an ear piece has TORN! Only because the piece wasn't completely cut through, and bent when I was trying to pop it out D:

But maybe I can glue it together and hope it might work from there? Or should I just change the helmet I am doing overall?

I've had pieces torn off before from my exacto knife being too dull. What I did was take some glue, I used tacky glue, and spread it on the piece where the rip is. Hold it together until it kind of stays together and then cut a piece of tape to put on both sides. Resin eats through the tape, but since you put glue on the ripped area it should be fine unless the tip is really bad. I hope you get what I'm saying hahaha. If not, I can try taking example pictures.

Depends on how bad the damage is, a picture would tell a lot more information on the problem.

If I had to wager a guess though, I personally think if the damage is bad, to reprint it, if it's not bad just cut a small piece of cardstock and glue it to the inside of the piece to strengthen and hold it. That is if I'm reading this right.

I'm with Katsu on this one man. If you've messed it up FUBAR, reprint. If it's something small repair from the inside and then you can cover up a minor imperfection when you reinforce it or add bondo. Got a pic?

I can only yell -blam!-
Pilot_Screw_up1.jpg
My avatar doodles show how I feel right now. I've completely lost the motivation to continue this... hell, I don't even have a good work space.

This exact tear (At the bottom half of the jagged beam) happened 4 days ago I believe? I can't even find the other half, I once had it. Next day I muster up enough confidence, I slip, cut myself on the thumb with the X-acto, and drew blood.

I feel lost, I have the papers for the Recon and Commando currently in a folder, and am sitting idly here at home, thinking of what can be done.

EDIT: I await viewer's advice, I'm not sure if I really want to throw all of these pieces away. thank you guys for helping though!

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's the rest of that beam, then just glue the sucker in. The circular pieces above and below it would support it fine. If you can't find the rest of the piece you may want to reprint it though.

The picture supplied is fairly low resolution, so I can't be totally sure though.

I know pepakura can be one of the more stressful steps in the process, but you have to find the method that works best for you. Scissors are not as exact as an exacto knife, but they're a ton safer, and not that much worse at cutting the paper, if you get used to precision scissor cutting. So if the knife is not working, you may want to try something else. I know that as an exacto blade gets duller (which happens FAST when cutting cardstock) it starts to drag, and catch the paper, weakening or tearing the paper in the process. I have moved away from exactos, and now use either box cutters for precision work, or scissors if I want it done faster and safer.

I don't think you should abandon the work. Keep at it and it will soon become reflexive as you get more comfortable with cutting cardstock. You have a lot of talent and I'd hate to see your efforts so far tossed! Good luck, and the site is here to help you!

Alright, Sadly, I am discarding the Pilot. I thought it'd be simple, but I took a small number of pages for a smooth put together.

for now, no helmet for Cousin #2, and I will be making an ODST (Reach) helmet for practice. This is definitely a tough first project.

You may want to try getting some practice by using the ODST LD tester helmet. It's fewer pieces but looks similiar and has the same scaling as the HD version. It's fantastic for practicing, as well as getting the scaling correct for the final draft.

^^^ Agreed, props to ya for being enthusiastic, but It seems you may have a bit of a project on your hands. Just some tips, Usually measuring from the top of the head to the bottom of th chin and adding two inches will get the right measurement for the "height" scale. Remember if you use inches to multiply by 25.4 . X-acto knives are tricky, and really will take a toll on your index finger after awhile, but always keep a sharp blade, I find that replacing them after 30-40 pages usually keeps it easy. Hot glue works good (most times) but it can't be moved easily (as I'm sure ou have figured out.) stick glue can work sometimes, but I gave up on it for superglue, which can be worse than hot glue if you use it wrong. I noticed some ragged edges on your earlier helm, so fyi the numbers match up pretty equally

Kind of went on there....Hope I helped in some way!!

Helmets as a whole are a challenge. Just take you're time with them and do a little at a time. Match the number up for a nice smooth build. If you rip/tear a piece just reprint it. You can do just the one piece or the whole page. In closing: Stick with it. But view it as fun, not something that has to be perfect the first time around.

I personally did my pep 2 times on the helmet, just to get the sizing right:cool
I hope this helps you to continue the dream.:D

Update: So I'm done cutting out the ODST helmet, and am working with this Elmer's super glue. Sort of like a liquid epoxy type stuff that requires me to press for half a minute.
It can be a tad frustrating, however, when the glued pieces 'snap' apart when I'm working on a curved section.

Also smells. I just want to thank you guys for your support, it really is helping, comments are greatly appreciated... and wow, over 1,00 views??

Heya, pic post here:
1st_ODST_WIP.jpg
As you can see, I'm going from bottom to top, visor on the left!:eek

Hey I apologize for the bad quality, my phone isn't too clear.

I think that he model you're using is the helmet I used! Its missing a couple pieces I think if it is. Good luck with it! helmets are the best part!

@Dh748: Oh? Awesome! I don't really know what would be missing, but it does look a little low in detail. meh
-----------------------------------------
Alright, pic update:
1st_ODST_WIP2.jpg
Was kind of tough holding the plate down while it slid everywhere. Might work on the side pieces separately, then connect it like a five piece puzzle all-together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back