Noble Team: A Reach Collaboration Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as using rondo, it has its ups and downs. I still resin the part before I rondo, so that the rondo won't flex and crack. As far as using it inside with the fiberglass (mudglassing) i wouldn't do my parts any other way. Its the best way I have seen to harden a part that is cost effective. As far as using it on the outside, it has its ups and down. Its a bit faster than just bondoing, but it is less uniform to work with and gets messy fast. You really have to plan the areas you are going to pour and how much rondo you are going to use. That being said, it worked great in the areas I used it on!

this is amazing! im inspired by yours to try mudglassing :D

but wow you are amazingly good at smoothing and rounding that thigh piece!

Brandon McClain said:
As far as using rondo, it has its ups and downs. I still resin the part before I rondo, so that the rondo won't flex and crack. As far as using it inside with the fiberglass (mudglassing) i wouldn't do my parts any other way. Its the best way I have seen to harden a part that is cost effective. As far as using it on the outside, it has its ups and down. Its a bit faster than just bondoing, but it is less uniform to work with and gets messy fast. You really have to plan the areas you are going to pour and how much rondo you are going to use. That being said, it worked great in the areas I used it on!

That mudglassing technique looks awesome, now I know exactly how I'm going to fiberglass my parts. Just one question. Is that only one layer of fiberglass cloth with the rondo?

Last edited by a moderator:
@ Monicator - Most of the parts I do have 2 or so layers of fiberglass. I prefer solid, the extra weight doesn't scare me, since most of the parts are getting cast anyway. My helmet has 1 or 2 layers. I just add more until I am comfortable with how strong the surfaces are.

Small update, finished unfolding the awesome Carter model done by A1TD, you can find it here. Hope y'all enjoy!!!!!!!!

Okay, time for an update from Kasper. He has mostly finished the boot sculpt and will be doing the transition mold in the next week or so. Also, while out of town at work, he managed to Pep and harden the shin, and has laid over it with clay and is starting the sculpt. Like the boot, and forearm, the shin be universal right and left. He has really done a great job, I really REALLY love what he has done with the boot. Hope y'all love it as much as I do!!

18621893.jpg

24653159.jpg

The boot sculpt was done over a size 10 tactical boot, and was done about 1/2 inch thick, so it should fit up to a size 12 boot. If I remember right the scale on the shin is 12 inches, don't quote me on it though! Enjoy!

Brandon McClain said:
Okay, time for an update from Kasper. He has mostly finished the boot sculpt and will be doing the transition mold in the next week or so. Also, while out of town at work, he managed to Pep and harden the shin, and has laid over it with clay and is starting the sculpt. Like the boot, and forearm, the shin be universal right and left. He has really done a great job, I really REALLY love what he has done with the boot. Hope y'all love it as much as I do!!

18621893.jpg

24653159.jpg

The boot sculpt was done over a size 10 tactical boot, and was done about 1/2 inch thick, so it should fit up to a size 12 boot. If I remember right the scale on the shin is 12 inches, don't quote me on it though! Enjoy!

great job man if i was on my home computer i would so send you a cookie!

Yes, boots will be done in flex foam 17. If a person wants it in resin I imagine we could do that, but the plan is for flex foam for now.

DylanMarx said:
Is anyone going to unfold the HammerBurst? I tried but it didn't turn out well.

Man, i REALLY need to get some money.

So when i steal these i can pay off the cops.

I mean...... Buy some.

:p

Gauntlets came in the mail today! I must say it is the best purchase i ever made, they're totally AMAZING!!!!

Thank you Brandon, you might be hearing from me again about boots next time! (dun dun duuuun)

Lol, glad you like them rhinoc. They really didn't need much cleanup. I will be redoing the mold next Tuesday so that in the future no cleanup will be necessary. When you get it all painted up, send me some pics please!

Well, small update time. Got the thigh all finished. The curves were a total wench to rebuild, took me all of last Saturday to do. Had some issues with the primer that were temperature related, had to sand it for a long time to get it smooth. Finally got my awesome shipment from Smooth On, a fresh gallon kit of Dragon skin, a gallon kit of FlexFoamIT 17 and release agent for the flex foam! I am a happy guy. Started the glove molds and am between layers. I am redoing the gauntlet mold, wasn't happy with the rebound one that I had done, and am also doing the thigh. So they will be done today, and will do the mother molds on Friday. If I can find a camera I will post pics of the glove molds when they are done.

What's the difference between a glove mold and a gauntlet mold?

I know what a jacket or mother mold is, but not a gauntlet mold...

The gauntlet mold would be a mold of the gauntlets. Sorry for the confusion. I am redoing the mold of the gauntlets. Make more sense??

Okay, so I know I said I would post up pics of the molds once I got them all done. Well I found a camera and snagged yall some pics. I am absolutely in love with the new gauntlet mold. Its fantastic!!!! No bubbles, no warping, easy to remove and the top is absolutely flat. Its perfect!!!!! The thigh is also done. The mother mold was a total wench to remove the first time, took me like 4 hours to get it off, but now its fantastic!!!!!! Did some pulls in flex foam 17, and its freaking sick. Love this stuff. The nice thing about the new thighs is that they are modeled much more closely to how a human body works, so they aren't digging into the back of your knee, so even if you have them in resin, they are still very comfortable. I will be sending a pull of the thigh to Kasper, and he will be sculpting the inner thigh, which will be cast in flex foam. As I am writing this he is doing the glove mold on the boot, so that will be ready sometime late next week. Here are your pics:

The thigh:

IMG_0216.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

The new gauntlet mold:

IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

I wish the pictures did these things justice. The pulls came out SOOOOOO clean and smooth its not even funny. You do get a bubble or two from the flex foam, but that is pretty normal. The resin pieces are just flawless!!

Hey Brandon,

Quick question

Did you fill the thigh with expanding foam, or how did you make the mold for the thigh?

And did you do the same thing with the guantlet?

With the thigh I just taped off the bottom in the shape I wanted, and used the tape to create a dam around the inside and top edges. If I there had been a camera to use I would have taken pics. With the forearm I just used cardstock to create a bit of a stand and used tape to fill the gap at the base much like I did on the original gauntlet mold. Then I just brushed the silicon over it.

Brandon McClain said:
With the thigh I just taped off the bottom in the shape I wanted, and used the tape to create a dam around the inside and top edges. If I there had been a camera to use I would have taken pics. With the forearm I just used cardstock to create a bit of a stand and used tape to fill the gap at the base much like I did on the original gauntlet mold. Then I just brushed the silicon over it.

I understand now :D

So the guantlet and thigh molds are "Glove molds"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back