Noob Girl's Grif Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome! if you play it cool and are very light on the bondo, you could definetly get finished in time. If your lucky with the bondo you can do one decent spread, shape it and then one more coat to fill in the cracks and your finished. Great to see more Canadians, sometimes it feels like no one here does this or is into it due to the lack of cons (theres only one here)

Awesome! if you play it cool and are very light on the bondo, you could definetly get finished in time. If your lucky with the bondo you can do one decent spread, shape it and then one more coat to fill in the cracks and your finished. Great to see more Canadians, sometimes it feels like no one here does this or is into it due to the lack of cons (theres only one here)

Yes I noticed that very little is needed if the pep work is done properly, mostly I've been using it to patch holes, and where the paper warped a little.
Doesn't Vancouver have a couple good cons? I know the ferry isn't cheap, but its cheaper than some cons I've traveled to; whether by car or plane. Also you are nearer to Seattle than I am, and they have wicked cons. For me Seattle is a 14hour drive, not easy.

Ok a quick update before the con. Painting is 90% done, all there is left to do is the black and armor mounting. My original plan was piano hinges for the chest piece but I had to scrap that idea. I hope waistband elastics will work in its stead

Next up was my clever idea when I saw a bunch of childrens shin guards in several sizes on sale for five bucks a pair. Instant comfort padding and elastic strapping already there. All I had to do was remove the hard outer shell. I will be gluing these to the biceps, forearms, and thigh

7117880575_4a188aeb82.jpg
photo by LoneHowler, on Flickr

Full costume done and assembled will be seen at the con on Saturday and Sunday

This is looking amazing! Very nice work on the painting, and I'm envious of your gloves. I won't get to see you at the con you're going to, but be sure to bring us pictures of your awesome completed costume.

Also, I'm stealing that orange pylon of yours. I literally need one as my fiance's 'weapon' for his Grif costume. Dang those things are hard to find!

I got my cone at Bianka Amore's, the store is also known as Crazy Deals At Stupid Prices. But I've seen them at plenty of other places.
Try looking in the sporting goods, or automotive sections of the stores.
It's actually smaller than the one seen in Red vs Blue, but I didn't want to lug a full sized one around the Con.

Edit: the cone deserves a picture by itself

6972496464_a5da9d3c80.jpg

I got my cone at Bianka Amore's, the store is also known as Crazy Deals At Stupid Prices. But I've seen them at plenty of other places.
Try looking in the sporting goods, or automotive sections of the stores.
It's actually smaller than the one seen in Red vs Blue, but I didn't want to lug a full sized one around the Con.

Edit: the cone deserves a picture by itself

6972496464_a5da9d3c80.jpg

Thanks! And oh, indeed. In fact, this fabulous cone deserves to have its picture posted twice, as it were. Protect me, cone! Well, still have to finish my Tex armour before I even start my Grif suit, but I can guarantee today that your armour does/will kick the congo out of mine. Crossing my fingers Canadian Tire or Home Depot'll have cones this size or larger when I shop tomorrow, 'cause I've only been able to find the real tiny dollar-store ones. I'd even make one out of foam if it weren't for frying-pan-in-the-face-time-constraints.

i didnt see you at the expo today did you get finished?

I was volunteering with the con greeting guests at the airport.
It is finished and packed in the truck ready for the photo shoot at the 501st booth in the morning. I just finished tonight, and even I haven't seen it fully assembled.

Can't wait to see you all suited up, So be sure to post some pic's here when you get a breather.

While I wait for picks from Calgary Comic Expo to show up, I'm going to share things I have learned.

2-3 coats of resin are not enough for large pieces or free floating ones, you are asking for a break if you don't have enough

Just because it fits in pep stage it doesn't garantee it will fit with the bondo/resin/Fiberglass filling the inside, and don't forget your padding/strapping and electronics. With all that you won't have room for mustle flex and you will have to shuffle along.

Hot vehicles can warp insufishantly resined armor pieces

Next round though I like rondo I may try to fabric reinforce edges and floating pieces

Finally if you want a paint job to stay nice you should clear coat it with something, with most if the armor this wasn't a big deal but I lost the lettering on the cone :(

A link to the pictures of the damage and warping http://www.flickr.com/photos/52149059@N00/sets/72157629944985083/

Sweet looking pic.

I have to thank the 501st for it. They had a photo booth set up where con attendees could get their pictures taken with different costuming groups, after the halo photoshoot they were kind enough to let us get individual shots. The money raised from the booth went to a children's charity, I can't recal if it was Make a Wish or Right to Play. Anyways I went back the next day and donated a few bucks, because they were so great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back