Not New At All, But The Same Song And Dance

Status
Not open for further replies.

NataliePhoenix

Okay, so I haven't been online for a very long time for a few reasons. Just a side note, I am NOT new to armor building, and I only come on here when I need help or want to see something awesome.
1. I made my own ODST build, but my damn little brother forgot to mention it to his friends, so they dove right onto the bag of card stock armor I had pepped. A$$. That old armor will be an example of how the armor starts, the fragility of the pieces before coating, and will be tested on before using any equipment since it is already f***ed up.... pardon my language. Please don't boot me.
2. I've started a NEW armor build and it is a custom build where I researched every piece I wanted and even had to settle for what I could find. Attached is a rough picture below.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8261211...in/photostream
This is just what I've settled with.

Here's the list on piece concerns. Please refer to the posted picture in the last post.
First, there is a UA/HUL piece on the helmet I built.
Second, a Kukri will be placed on the left shoulder (I’m right handed) and a second knife will either be placed under the left/right ribs. Let me know where you think it should be.
Third, I was going to do a Tact. UGPS on my left forearm, but that’s if I have time.
Fourth, I couldn't find a trauma kit file that I SO badly want on there, so unless I’m pointed to it, I’m stuck with a Hardcase.
Fifth, at first I didn't want to do the CounterAssault chest, but I got over it and chose to make that piece clip on/off when I need it.
Finally, the colors are only a test. I'm likely doing darker colors than that, and I will put up another post on what 2 emblems I’m thinking of. And yes, the suit is female... since I’m a chick. Let me know what you guys think, and PLEASE refer me to a Trauma Kit pep if there is one.... pretty please?

And finally (really finally for now)... Resource help! The visor is supposed to be black, and I wanted to go with a custom visor. Does anyone know if I can go to a motorcycle shop and ask them to cut a template if I bring one in? The shops I need must be around Stafford, Virginia or somewhere close. And instead of pepping weapons (aside from the knives), I might go out and buy me a crossbow… :3 I would also like to know a few good websites/stores that offers cheap bondo and resin only. No fiberglass, I'm going to try using plaster cloth on the inside and will coat both sides of the armor with resin when it dries. Help me out, please!
Oh, and btw, if you want to see a weeeeee bit more about me, I copied the "Introduce Yourself" bit I responded to. It's after the "Cheers". Feel free to check out the page and leave a message.

Cheers!

Name: Natalie Burch a.k.a. Batman (my given nickname is Batman, no joke)
Profession: Martial Arts Instructor, Armor Builder, Timelord
Favorite Hobby: Building stuff and blowing other stuff up, Krav Maga, any martial arts
Favorite part of Halo: Prophet of Truth gets his trap STABBED
Favorite Halo: ALL OF THEM WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THIS
Favorite Video Game: Assassin’s Creed, Call of Duty, Halo (duh), Street Fighter, etc.
Other Interests: Sarcasm (you don’t say?!)
Favorite Food: Goji berries
Favorite Finisher: So many... T_T
Favorite Band: Metallica, Braeaking Benjamin, AC/DC, Staind… I think you get the picture
Favorite Movie(s): Boondock Saintssssssss
Other: What do you want to know? Ask me, I don’t bite…. I kick :)

If the link isn't working, try this.... I hope.

Sounds like that will be one heck of a suit when it's finished, as for the trauma kit, i can't find that either, and I have a LOT of pep files lying around on my hard drive. Maybe if I could find a 3d model of it and modify it for pepakura, then I will post a link. I'll be back

Both Flickr links aren't working! I'm sorry to hear about the crushed pep. That really sucks!
It sounds like you really have a handle on what you want to do and basically how you are going to do it!

Good luck on your build!
~Mac

EDIT: Here's the photo she tried to link!
7561528706_b08e17b025_z.jpg

That's one hell of a shame for your ODST suit. Guess your brother went feet-first-into-hell on it... ;-)

If you don't want to mess with fiberglass, I highly suggest using rondo for the inside of your pieces (it's a mixture of resin and bondo; look it up on the forums if you've never heard of it). Never failed me so far, although it does tend to be slightly less solid than fiberglass (but it doesn't make a mess like fiberglass tends to do).

Keep us up to date with your build, Batman!

I know the feelin Nat, well...slightly
Pepped entire MkVI suit and then moved over seas, movers were not careful at all xD utterly destroyed the armor

Anyway on to your suit, i concur with ZMX in saying that rondo is a good idea (but as i seem to remember you once telling me that your dad doesnt want you using bondo)
Rondo is yes a little more fragile but in the end its worth it purely from the fact that if theres a warp, you can heat it up with a heat gun and mostly push it back to where it needs to be
Also, if a piece of equipment doesnt show up in the game, WHO CARES? Do what you want to do with your suit, hell you want something shoot me a PM and i'll model it for you!
Make your suit the suit you want it to be, not what the game limits :)

Alright, done with long post, least long for me...
Good luck!

@Macattack64-Thanks for getting the pic up! My computer hates me... and apparently, so does my brother. Hahaha, jealous little jerk, he is.

@ZMX-Hahahaha, that Helljumper comment just made my afternoon! There certainly was and still is hell to pay for with him, but that's beside the point. I was looking at a rondo vid on Youtube, and the guy said it could also go on the outside. Would that cut down having to bondo the outside so it looks like actual armor, just a wee bit? it looks like it could fill in the cracks more, and I can polish it off with a dremmel. Should I reserve extra bondo to give it the bulky armor look after the rondo has hardened, or should I just resin the outside and rondo ONLY the inside?

@Rhinoc-Nice hearing from you again! Oh, sweet Jesus, I cannot STAND movers. We're military, and for some weird reason, that means they give less of a crap. I completely understand what you are talking about, I packaged all my armor and brought it with me in the car, then hid it when they brought stuff in. O_O Haha! Anyway, I managed to convince him to ONLY supervise, not handle any of it. He put fiberglass on the outside last time and put most of the bondo inside my last build, making it look rough. But enough of my ranting, haha! As for pieces showing up, I only used Vanity to get a general idea of what it would look like... and it motivates me to sit on my ass for hours and keep working. :) The only piece I'm missing is the Trauma Kit, which there happens to be no file for. I planned to make it open and make an actual compartment for stuff. Thanks for reminding me that the image isn't the only result I'm stuck with, I've just had troubles keeping my stuff under close maintenance due to family.

Good Lord, you guys rock! So glad this site exists. I'll take pictures of what I have so far and post it when I get back on. Thank you SO much, you've all just saved my sanity and my armor. ;)

Cheers! ~"Batman"

@ZMX-Hahahaha, that Helljumper comment just made my afternoon! There certainly was and still is hell to pay for with him, but that's beside the point. I was looking at a rondo vid on Youtube, and the guy said it could also go on the outside. Would that cut down having to bondo the outside so it looks like actual armor, just a wee bit? it looks like it could fill in the cracks more, and I can polish it off with a dremmel. Should I reserve extra bondo to give it the bulky armor look after the rondo has hardened, or should I just resin the outside and rondo ONLY the inside?

Pleasure's mine! You CAN use rondo on the outside (although I've never done it myself). The rondo mixture becomes a "runnier" (that is, more "liquid") version of bondo, while still being sandable; however, for the exact specs and know-how, I think I saw a thread some time ago called "muddy secrets tutorial" or something. I remember there was mud in the title, lol.

Keep up the good work!

(And yeah, this site and its people are amazing, I'm glad I signed up)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back