ODST And Recon Helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blue reflective motor cycle helmet replacement lens. I had to sacrifice one to be the pattern for the others, but once the pattern was made, its a snap to make them for my helmets.

Its two pieces, and the seam where they meet had to be matched or they wouldn't sit right against each other. Its hard to make the curve and the angle line up so well, but then that's what the pattern is for, so I only had to figure it out the one time.

Its screwed in place from the inside using t-nuts and machine screws located at various intervals along the edge.

Spase said:
Blue reflective motor cycle helmet replacement lens. I had to sacrifice one to be the pattern for the others, but once the pattern was made, its a snap to make them for my helmets.

Its two pieces, and the seam where they meet had to be matched or they wouldn't sit right against each other. Its hard to make the curve and the angle line up so well, but then that's what the pattern is for, so I only had to figure it out the one time.

Its screwed in place from the inside using t-nuts and machine screws located at various intervals along the edge.

Awesome! Thanks for the info. Your result is AWESOME, seems like the seam would definitely be the hardest part, it's at such a weird angle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, been a while, not a new member just found my way back here, and the sites def. gone through some changes, it's awesome.

So I've done a bit of searching around, and I haven't come up with much. So if anyone can lead me in the right direction I figured the people making works of art such as these two helmets would have an idea. I've recently come into a bit of cash, but I have no time to make my helmet with 2 jobs and college. So here is my situation.

I want to find someone with a helmet or willing to make one that looks as near to identical as the one in my pic as possible (from the cgi halo 3 trailer). I want extreme details and wearing comfort. I'm looking for an entire suit, just not right away. If you can please send me a message with any information I would be very thankful and owe you. I've made several predator props, and a costume every year such as Zack Fair from Final Fantasy, but I've never created anything of this magnitude and Halo is by far my great passion of interests. I look forward to doing business with someone, learning a lot along the way, and making some new friends here in Halo HQ of the internet.

I think the helms are great. I stsrted peping my own recon helmet it turned out prety good but I just got pepakura and didn't know that you had to resise the helmet to make it the right sise. So it turned out a little bit to small. But it's my first helmet. So I think I'll just put it in a display case when I'm done with it.

man, you are skilled!!! i wouldnt even know where to start on a project like that!!! think ill squeeze all the juice from the pepakura fruit first, lol. nice work dude!!!

Silly me, looking at the picture this morning, I realized the left vent cover wasn't in place for the photo... woops.. it was very late forgive me folks.

Just so you know what your looking at, I have updated the original ODST helmet, correcting a few details and overall shape of the helmet now that we have good references, sanded the snot out of it to get the surface finish smoother. Vents will be cast separately from the helmet so the area can be drilled out of the pull or painted black, which ever is desired, then the covers put in place after and glued so that it can be done quickly and easily and still end up with a crisp vented area. The other ODST helmet parts are being constructed as well, and will be cast separately, so again, they can be added after the fact, rather than having 5 helmet holds, it will be one helmet mold, with accessory attachments all separate. Less finishing work when the pull comes out of the mold is what I am going for, and the ability to customize a helmet on the fly.

Hope everyone likes it.... being this helmets daddy means my opinion is a bit skewed.

~Walter

Edit: Looking at last photo... it looks HUGE compared to everything in the background. Did I tell you I make helmet pinata's. (kidding)

On a more serious note, awesome! That bucket of yours looks absolutely amazing. One question though. Are you sure that every helmet is the same minus all the add-ons? Take Dutch for example.

[attachment=12690:dutch.jpg]

Dutch has a reinforced helmet, he seems to have two extra side vents, the raised portions you circled, along with the raised middle ridge, and the two vents on the top above the visor.

Oh, and don't forget the sweet as death skull decal. :3

@Crook... Yes, it would make sense from a manufacturing standpoint to make one basic shell, and then modify off the base. That way your production cost can be kept at a minimum while you still have the ability to customize for specific purposes. I am not going to assume I know what the process for creating each helmet is in the fictitious Halo Universe. However, for the sake of costuming and prop replicas, it is nice that I can have one helmet, where I can easily add parts to to change the appearance from one character to the next, without swapping helmets altogether, and without modifying the base structure of the helmet.

~Walter

Spase said:
@Crook... Yes, it would make sense from a manufacturing standpoint to make one basic shell, and then modify off the base. That way your production cost can be kept at a minimum while you still have the ability to customize for specific purposes. I am not going to assume I know what the process for creating each helmet is in the fictitious Halo Universe. However, for the sake of costuming and prop replicas, it is nice that I can have one helmet, where I can easily add parts to to change the appearance from one character to the next, without swapping helmets altogether, and without modifying the base structure of the helmet.

~Walter

Completely understood. I make these sorts of things as well, though my projects tend to be more on the technological side. I was just making sure you weren't forgetting any detail. I've done that myself, and it's had a tendency to upset me a bit and lose the project in the process. Do you plan on making a little raised add-on for that portion?

As many of the ODST additions I can muster, I will make. Currently sniper goggles and the Dutch pieces are what I am working on.

~Walter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back