ODST ARMOR

Status
Not open for further replies.
MaShEdPOTaToEs said:
-fiberglass and resin=30$
-visor=10$
-under armour=25$
-the joy of making a master chief suit=priceless

This is the second time I've seen this. Would that be considered spam?

Last edited by a moderator:
Friendly said:
MaShEdPOTaToEs said:
-fiberglass and resin=30$
-visor=10$
-under armour=25$
-the joy of making a master chief suit=priceless

This is the second time I've seen this. Would that be considered spam?

No I don't think so..I think it would count as a double post? :roll:

Last edited by a moderator:
ODST has much less armor to put together, so the overall price of making a set of armor is somewhat offset by the raw materials. I'd estimate about $100, $150 max, for the main costume expenditures. Probably less than that. You'll need 110# card stock, resin, fiberglass cloth and/or mat, 120-400 grit sand paper (600 might be a little over board), an "exacto" knife to cut and score with, a metal ruler for creasing, BDUs, boots, I'd recommend some under armor, velcro and webbing for holding everything up, and something for the visor (either a CD spindle case, as some have used (?) or a motorcycle visor). You might also want to look into extras like a fan system for the helmet, and possibly a molle vest if you can get it cheap to incorporate into the ODST vest. Hot glue to put the helmet together with, or maybe a cyanoacrylate (super glue).

The subdued urban camo pattern that they use may run around $50 for a set (including S&H) depending on your source. I've got a set of rip-stop coming from bdu.com (mine's a little over $60 'cause it's rip stop), and will review them once I get them. The visor can run from 10 to 30, depending on what you get and from what supplier. I'll be looking for a blue mirrored motorcycle visor once I figure out the pepakura scaling, as I've got a clear regular one from my actual helmet I can use as a stand in.

Starting from a Pepakura basis, (the files are here ) you'd resin the outside, mat and glass the inside, then sand to round it off and add in detailing as with the typical fiberglass tutorial.

I've got the pepakura print out of the helmet in process to figure out if I sized it right (I don't have a digicam to show progress), then I'll do the "vest" and knee/lower leg armor once I get that figured out.... I'm also trying to piece together the deltoid armor plates and a few other details from the full pepakura. 90% of my problem is just being able to pick out the edges of the pieces in the 3d or 2d displays then getting everything to fit.

Right now I'm running into issues with having time and space to work in. With all of this, the most costly and irreplaceable commodity is time.

Well, here's my point of view on the price for ODST stuff. Most of the money spent on an ODST suit by starting from scratch is the BDU's and the ammo pouches plus the visor and boots if you're gonna go for a durable costume. Here's my pricey shopping list:

Fatigues: $50 a set without tax.
Ammo pouches: 8 small pouches for around the belt and the two in the upper part of the chest ($16 for all of these at my local Army/Navy surplus store), two slightly taller ones for below that ($10 for both at said place), and two large ones for legs ($6-$10 each, about $16 for both). Total is $42 without tax.
Belt and support vest underneath torso armor (optional): $40 estimate without tax.
Boots: $45-$70 a pair.
Visor: $25+
Gloves: $15-$20

Total: Rounds out to about $250. Not too cheap for something that's to be based around cardboad. I guess you could leave out the pouches and use normal tennis shoes, but meh, wouldn't be as good.

What do you guys think? My post sounds a bit insane... I have a bit more money available to me now that I'm doing more chores, but unfortunately birthday and Christmas come after Halo-Ween and showing up with an incomplete costume sucks. :$ops:

I agree.

My Mk V is totally based on pepa as well and I've already got a little over $100 sunk into it ($150 if you count stuff I already had laying around) and I haven't even started the lower half of the body.

I'm not expecting my ODST to be any cheaper. In fact, I think the base purchases will be greater than either mjolnir because of the camos, extra pouches, etc. However at least it should be a little easier to make.

Yeah, I know my estimate is way off if you want to do a full suit. What I consider the "core" of the suit is the fatigues, helmet, "vest," and the leg and bicept armor. $10 worth of card stock should be enough for that, with about $50 on fatigues, that leaves $40-90 for resin and working materials that you don't already have.

When I finally get around to doing it right I plan to base my ODST vest off of a molle tactical vest/chest rig (similar to http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE136-44932-1977.html ).

I've got the fatigues on order, got the card stock on order, I already have boots, got a motor cycle visor coming, and I already plan on using my motorcycle gear to keep my overhead down for now. That's what I intend to take for Ohayocon in January, at least.

Total cost I've spent just on this is at 75 bucks. That's $60 for my BDUs and $15 for a full ream of 110# card stock. Overall investment is....
Street Motorcycle Jacket - 240
TI-plate motorcycle gloves - 120
Elbow and Knee motorcycle protection - 30
Motorcycle Face Shield - 33
Combat Boots - 20
Under Armor Heat Gear - 15

Maybe for ACEN '08 I'll have a "properly done" costume put together. I'll definitely have it finished by the end of '08, and hopefully I'll have a Halo 3 ODST done as well.

In an unrelated note, I just stumbled across the remnants of the means to open Server 3 from the Halo 3 website (The Device in concept art).

Well, I'm using cardboard because for the most part I don't have to work with resin and fiberglass. I'm way inexperienced and too young, so for now I use cardboard and duct tape on the underside. Works for me, at least.

The right way:
BDUS: $40-50 (Yay you guys got it right!)
Boots: $20-25 (M1 Jungle Boots, check your surplus store)
Vest: ????- Please do not use Pepakura for a vest, you would only be able to stand. I haven't got the vest type down yet.
Shin Guards: $40-ish (Cardstock+resin+etc)
Elbow Guards: $15
Helmet: $50-60
Visor: $15-$40

Now remember, I know my resources. PLEASE DO NOT PM ME! Ask here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back