ODST Dare Foam Build (Pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OR this one:
product_thumb.php

I have them both for Airsoft. The "swimmer" style(first picture) is pretty comfortable but in higher temps the rubber makes the side of my head and ear sweat like crazy. The second one is really nice and I prefer that one more. It fits under helmets and has a slightly lower profile. I also like the mic on the second one more than the large round one on the swimmer.

The thing about both of them though: They are extremely loud. I soldered a 1200 ohm resistor into my adapter box to quiet the things. Even with my radio at minimum volume they were too loud, a painful volume, without the resistor. So keep that in mind when you first get one that you probably do not want to try it out while wearing it until you know whether they have fixed this problem(doubtful, they are just chinese knock offs).

look good still and my opinion just go with the foam head set you built looks fine to me. and the gauntlets look good for foam. i just went thru mine and modded them to be more HD. and are under silicon right now should be finishing them today. and still luv the shins lol i wonder why lol.... but keep it up

So... want to teach me to build with foam? Haha, honestly, this looks really good. How's' the strength of the foam? Will the foam deflections caused by wearing it cause the paint to chip off or anything?

don't know what you mean by deflections but if you use spray paints bending the foam too much will cause your foam to crack and chip at those spots. im trying to find a cheap flexible paint but no luck, any1 got ideas? As for foam strength, it is pretty sturdy as long as you use a really good amount of hot glue on the inside seams. I've sat down and even driven a car in my suit and the foam is fine.

That is an awesome find! I wish it were more within my pricerange. I did some searching and I found these 2. Neither is as sleek or looks quite as accurate, but they're well within my price range. What do you think?

OR this one:
product_thumb.php

@ Soloknight, yea, I'm pretty sure this is the first foam Dare. There's been a few pepped though :)

You can also find a way to incorporate the headset into a smaller one, like the one that Kumar showed.
Aaand, because I'm a nice guy, I've got a little surprise. The downside is it needs to be edited for Pep-friendliness.

Posting link in a few...

Edit:
Aaaand... Done.
Here it is!

ONI Comm Headset

Don't remember where I got it from, and I used to have Dutch, Buck, Romeo, Mickey, and Johnson's Heads, too...
...It came with the pack.

Like I said, it just needs a bit of editing, but you can use it for reference for Foam-Pepping!

Enjoy!

I have them both for Airsoft. The "swimmer" style(first picture) is pretty comfortable but in higher temps the rubber makes the side of my head and ear sweat like crazy. The second one is really nice and I prefer that one more. It fits under helmets and has a slightly lower profile. I also like the mic on the second one more than the large round one on the swimmer.

The thing about both of them though: They are extremely loud. I soldered a 1200 ohm resistor into my adapter box to quiet the things. Even with my radio at minimum volume they were too loud, a painful volume, without the resistor. So keep that in mind when you first get one that you probably do not want to try it out while wearing it until you know whether they have fixed this problem(doubtful, they are just chinese knock offs).

Thanks for the informative response. Looks like real headset’s on the back burner until I have a big chunk of change to spend.

don't know what you mean by deflections but if you use spray paints bending the foam too much will cause your foam to crack and chip at those spots. im trying to find a cheap flexible paint but no luck, any1 got ideas? As for foam strength, it is pretty sturdy as long as you use a really good amount of hot glue on the inside seams. I've sat down and even driven a car in my suit and the foam is fine.

Yep. I’m using walmart brand brush on acrylic paint. It comes in 2oz or 8oz bottles. IT’s $2.50 for the big one. One 8oz bottle has provided a base coat for 50% of my suit and it’s not all gone yet.

Normal shape of the piece.

Piece bent in half.

These pieces are fully painted with a base coat, 2 layers of grey, and some miscelanious splotches of other colors on top of that then sealed with waterproof varnish. No chipping, no cracking, and it retains full flexibility. I love it! The varnish I’m using I got at JoAnne’s. It’s normal indoor acrylic varnish. It costs a bit more than the paint, but not much, and it makes a world of difference.

You can also find a way to incorporate the headset into a smaller one, like the one that Kumar showed.
Aaand, because I'm a nice guy, I've got a little surprise. The downside is it needs to be edited for Pep-friendliness.

Posting link in a few...

Edit:
Aaaand... Done.
Here it is!

ONI Comm Headset

Don't remember where I got it from, and I used to have Dutch, Buck, Romeo, Mickey, and Johnson's Heads, too...
...It came with the pack.

Like I said, it just needs a bit of editing, but you can use it for reference for Foam-Pepping!

Enjoy!

It's... beautiful! I will make it foam friendly and I will make it and I will wear it with pride. Thank you so much for this link :)

Painting progress pictures! I've just finished a forearm and a shin. I'm almost done making a helmet... attempt number 2. This one's looking billions and billions of times better so far. I'll have pictures of it up soon I hope :)

Painting progress pictures! I've just finished a forearm and a shin. I'm almost done making a helmet... attempt number 2. This one's looking billions and billions of times better so far. I'll have pictures of it up soon I hope :)

VERY cool, dudette!

thanks for the suggestion.so no cracking or chipping at all if i bend it quite a bit? Do I have to put on clear coat as well?

thanks for the suggestion.so no cracking or chipping at all if i bend it quite a bit? Do I have to put on clear coat as well?

Yep. The clear coat is vital. I'm using this:
1816-3-1.jpg

It's waterproof and protects against uv light.

Whatever kind you use make sure it's a matte finish not a gloss finish. When youre painting, make sure you do several thin coats not thick ones. Thick will make it crack. Thin will make it flex.

And Now... HELP!
I'm painting my chestplate but I was wondering if anyone has an idea of what it says above Dare. I can't get any good screenshots or references of it. I really just want to know what is says so I know if it's important enough to include. I'm at a loss on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
And Now... HELP!
I'm painting my chestplate but I was wondering if anyone has an idea of what it says above Dare. I can't get any good screenshots or references of it. I really just want to know what is says so I know if it's important enough to include. I'm at a loss on this one.

Ya know, I was curious about the same thing when I was working on my DARE costume. From other images that I have seen, it looks like the 2nd letter is an "A" and the 3rd letter is a "V". There seems to be either 6 or 7 letters there and the last digit looks like a "T" or "7", but it is hard to tell. Unless someone knows for sure what that says, you might have to go without. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya know, I was curious about the same thing when I was working on my DARE costume. From other images that I have seen, it looks like the 2nd letter is an "A" and the 3rd letter is a "V". There seems to be either 6 or 7 letters there and the last digit looks like a "T" or "7", but it is hard to tell. Unless someone knows for sure what that says, you might have to go without. :(
I believe it says NAVYG7, but you should see for your self Link

doh! sweet battle damage! It looks so authentic. And I like the way the paint has some variation to it. I love the idea for the head set, and wether you decide to make it yourself or buy one online I dont think you can go wrong. Great progress overall

I believe it says NAVYG7, but you should see for your self Link

Thank you so much :)

Update time:

I remade my chestplate. I decided I wasn’t happy with the first one. Seeing as it was one of the first pieces I made, there was a lot of room for improvement. This new one is based off of Hugh’s, but I modified it a bit. It’s now all done.

Now for some sad news…

My foam helm was a total bust. I'm starting on a pep one tonight. I got the helmet completely built. It was the perfect size and looked amazing. I got some rondo into it... and the rondo melted the hot glue I used. This never happened to any of the stuff I pepped. It was a disaster. The whole helmet caved in on itself. It was heartbreaking to see so many hours of work fall apart. :/

Le sigh.

Thank you so much :)

Update time:

I remade my chestplate. I decided I wasn’t happy with the first one. Seeing as it was one of the first pieces I made, there was a lot of room for improvement. This new one is based off of Hugh’s, but I modified it a bit. It’s now all done.

Now for some sad news…

My foam helm was a total bust. I'm starting on a pep one tonight. I got the helmet completely built. It was the perfect size and looked amazing. I got some rondo into it... and the rondo melted the hot glue I used. This never happened to any of the stuff I pepped. It was a disaster. The whole helmet caved in on itself. It was heartbreaking to see so many hours of work fall apart. :/

Le sigh.

that looks really cool! Love the paint job (as always)
I'm sorry to hear about the foam helmet not working out, I dont know much about rondo, but I've never heard of it disintegrating the hot glue- then again I dont know much about hot glue either except that it burns pretty bad :p.

Anyway, cheer up! At least it only happened to one piece vs. all of them. Also with your pep-skills you will probably have the pepped helmet done in no time.

Pic heavy update! I've gotten a fair amount done and wanted to share :)

First up- Here’s the back of my torso piece.

Aaaand the front. The straps are all elastic so it just pulls on over my head. The two pieces I've indicated with the yellow arrows are velcro to attach my chestplate to. )They're kind of hidden under the elastic)

98% done pepping my helmet. :)

Torso actually on- back

and front (with chestplate)

I’m also wearing the shoulder pads I’ve decided to use. (They’re actually elbow pads but my arms are pretty small so it works)

I was worried that the chest plate was a little too high up so I wanted to see how it was going to fit with the ab piece (which is NOT done yet- never fear!) What do you think?

That's all for now folks:)

looks awesome!!! good job on the helmet!! (p.s. i started cutting out the templates you sent me for the shins, gonna knock them out this weekend)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back