ODST Dare Foam Build (Pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everybody!

Got a bit of an update for you today :)

I've been working on my helmet's paint job. It's not done yet. but here's the progress so far:

I picked up the visor for my helmet from the post office this morning! Next step is to cut it down to size and install.

Attached some straps and d-rings to some pieces.

I also attached the side packs to my torso, you can sort of see them. I ran elastic over the sides of the torso and put velcro on the side packs so they just velcro around the elastic. This lets them be nice and secure, but still flexible enough to move comfortably. I can also remove them to pull the torso on more easily.

I've got the base coat painted on the thighs and I also redid the paint on my forearms. You can kind of see it in these pics. I think it looks a bunch better now.

And a couple silly pictures!

Here's me with an old assault rifle I'd pepped (and a doofy friend in the background) Wheee!

Also, my lcoal gamestop had some figurines on sale for 5$! So I got a Jorge and a Marine... and a remote control Warthog!!!

Kitties hate Halo.

are there any Dare's in Melbourne, Australia out there? i'm a Buck and it would be an awesome duo :]

I'm U.S. based, but good luck finding a Dare!

So that's all for now! Finals week next week. Wish me luck :)

Your helmet look really great and looks like your suit is coming together pretty quick, keep up the great job

Hey everybody!

Got a bit of an update for you today :)

I've been working on my helmet's paint job. It's not done yet. but here's the progress so far:

I picked up the visor for my helmet from the post office this morning! Next step is to cut it down to size and install.

Attached some straps and d-rings to some pieces.

I also attached the side packs to my torso, you can sort of see them. I ran elastic over the sides of the torso and put velcro on the side packs so they just velcro around the elastic. This lets them be nice and secure, but still flexible enough to move comfortably. I can also remove them to pull the torso on more easily.

I've got the base coat painted on the thighs and I also redid the paint on my forearms. You can kind of see it in these pics. I think it looks a bunch better now.

And a couple silly pictures!

Here's me with an old assault rifle I'd pepped (and a doofy friend in the background) Wheee!

Also, my lcoal gamestop had some figurines on sale for 5$! So I got a Jorge and a Marine... and a remote control Warthog!!!

Kitties hate Halo.

I'm U.S. based, but good luck finding a Dare!

So that's all for now! Finals week next week. Wish me luck :)

Great work! And I agree, cats do not like halo.

I'm also doing a recon helmet. I have to redo it cause the size i made it was way too small for my helmet. Was there any difficulties to rondoing it? I wanna slush cast the inside of mine with a casting resin cause it seems simplier and easier than buying bondo.

I'm also doing a recon helmet. I have to redo it cause the size i made it was way too small for my helmet. Was there any difficulties to rondoing it? I wanna slush cast the inside of mine with a casting resin cause it seems simplier and easier than buying bondo.

No difficulties at all. Just take your time more than anything. Making a smoothly pepped helmet will make ever other step go much easier. Also, using rondo is really quite simple. Here's exactly how I make it and everything. Put 2 rounded spoonfuls (I use plastic spoons) of bondo into a plastic cup. Add 4 spoonfuls of resin. Or just pour 4 "glugs" into the plastic cup. Stir it up with a plastic spoon. Add a spoonful of the bondo cream hardener. Mix very quickly and very thouroughly. Pour it in. Using a paintbrush, brush the rondo around the inside until every area is covered. Then just hold the helmet rotating it slowly around in your hands until it cures (it gets real hot- that's how you know). Repeat 1-2 more times or until it's as hard as you'd like.

Good luck!

you have to finish this, it looks so sick, Foam for the win! If you run into any problems with the foam work exploding all of a sudden and coming apart (speaking from experience haha), i found out that the glue from hot glue guns deforms over time and the bond gets weak, so my advice is chuck some cable ties through and pull the seems together (kinda like cheap plastic stitches), it may sound rough but it actually adds cool detail and makes the join a lot stronger

So I’ve got a little update today. Not much, but it’s finals week and I'm wicked busy.

Here’s some more progress I’ve made on my helmet. It took me 6 tries to get the DARE to be the right size and in the right place. Finally got it!

I made a spine that attaches to the back with Velcro. Mucho comfy.

I’m going to a surplus store to grab a black pistol belt this weekend so I can start mounting all my misc. bits and pieces on it.

you have to finish this, it looks so sick, Foam for the win! If you run into any problems with the foam work exploding all of a sudden and coming apart (speaking from experience haha), i found out that the glue from hot glue guns deforms over time and the bond gets weak, so my advice is chuck some cable ties through and pull the seems together (kinda like cheap plastic stitches), it may sound rough but it actually adds cool detail and makes the join a lot stronger

Good to know! Thanks :) I'll give that a try is any of my seams start having issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back