Odst - Dare W.i.p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my FIRST EVER sad attempt at a scratch build!! :eek What you see in the pictures took me about a good 2-3 hours! XD This may not look as good as the other scratch builds I have seen so be easy on me! LOL :p

There were just a few things about DARE's chestplate that I really wanted included and yeah, I guess I am just to anal about accuracy! :p I think this looks a bit more correct. When I keep looking at the couple pictures of DARE that I have, the one I am scratch building looks a bit more accurate. On DARE, the chesplate looks kinda bulky and the pep file that is available for DARE's chestplate just seemed to "dainty" for me, it needed more bulk. No offense to JUICE or anything (he made the pep file for the chestplate), I can just be VERY picky about accuracy.

So here are my pics..............

chestplate3.jpg

chestplate.png

chestplate2.jpg

chestplate4.jpg

Of course it is not completely done, but it doesn't look like I have too much more left to do! :)

Wow, looks great. I tried a small sctratch build today. Came out pretty good, kind of hard to do due to lack of reference material.

3 hours later..............

And I am ready to put all three pieces together! :D I guess I spent about a good 5-6 hours putting this together. I guess it looks okay.

3piece.jpg

Close up of one of the vents:

vent.jpg

Now, since I constructed this out of cardboard, where do I go from here? o_O I don't assume I need to put any coats of resin on the outside since it's already pretty sturdy. Do I just go straight to fiberglassing and put that on the back side? I'm really not sure about this part.

since warpage isnt really a concern when you use cardboard, you can go either way, you can fiberglass the inside first or resin the whole thing, just make sure it cures all the way, sometimes the cardboard takes longer to cure than cardstock. if its too cold, just use a heat source on it.

i would put a couple layers of resin on the chest just to make sure you dont get a cardboard like texture when you paint it, thats just me tho, looks great! keep it up

Looking good HG! I was wondering where did you get the pepped elbow pieces? Hopefully, the weather lets you resin, bondo, and paint before the release.

Good Luck and Cheers!

Okay, so I made the neat little pack thing that goes in the bottom mid of the chestplate. If you look closely at a picture of DARE's chestplate, you will see what I am talking about.

Anyhoo, this was obvioulsy scratch built and was simple to do. I made it so that it can hold small items. I can fit 3 ciggy's in it! lol Anyways, I plan on covering it with fabric and I will be adding some snaps so the little flap stays closed. Also, I will be using velcro to attach it to the chestplate.

pack2.jpg

pack.jpg

Also, I will now have to slow done my work time becuase while making this little pack, I had a BIG MAJOR owie (boo boo) happen. While I was holding my metal ruler in place as a guide to cut a straight line, my ring finger on my left hand was a little too far over the straight edge of the ruler and yeah........it hurts like a S.O.B!!!! So now my finger is in extreme pain and throbbing. There was actually a piece left behind.......EWWWWW! XD I hope my finger heals fine though......

I'm working on a suite of ODST armor as well. if you have any question feel free to ask, I'm still a little new at all of this but me and my friends are working around the clock to get it done for release night. we are also working on a Recon helmet.

Great scratchbuild! I agree about the dinkyness...but definitely no offence to Juice because the Ab Plates are AWESOME, and the chest is still great work for something whipped out so quickly on a simple request, so all sorts of thanks and gratitude to you.

The little vents on the bottom and the cylinder are two details I wish I had for my sister's DARE. *sigh* Well, it's just for one con probably, and it'll need fixing up anyways eventually.

As always, can't wait to see more.

I modified the chestplate, adding the indentation on the top and smoothed the plates.

That really is some good scratchbuilding HG. NICE! :D

Thanks Trooper. I just tried to get it out too quickly. I think it's fixed now, but if not let me know what's wrong with it and I'll get it worked out.

JUICE said:
I modified the chestplate, adding the indentation on the top and smoothed the plates.

That really is some good scratchbuilding HG. NICE! :D

Thanks Trooper. I just tried to get it out too quickly. I think it's fixed now, but if not let me know what's wrong with it and I'll get it worked out.

Yeah, I saw the second one you did. It's close, but now if you can look at the one I scratch built and make a file that looks like that, then that would be REALLY cool. I have 2 pics of DARE that I am using as reference and one is a side view and I get a pretty good shot of the chestplate.

Last edited by a moderator:
I now have a total of 3 scratch built pieces that I did. Only one was pretty big unlike the other pieces which were pretty small and a bit easy to do.

Here is my latest scratch built piece:

belt.jpg

belt2.jpg

Yeah, it's looking a bit rough, but once I get all the stuff I need to properly finish this piece, I'm hoping that it won't look like it was made out of cardboard! haha

Also, all those pieces are just sitting there in place. They are not actually glued down or anything as I plan on doing each little piece individually to hopefully get the desired effect that I want.

Well it looks like I am now ready to start the resining process! :D

Don't mind my bottles that are sitting in the thigh pieces! lol They were just used to hold the thigh pieces for the picture. haha

fullarmor.jpg

sidearmor.jpg

sidearmor2.jpg

Random ODST figure pics: :p

ODST.jpg

ODST_paint.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back