Odst - Dare W.i.p

Status
Not open for further replies.
HaloGoddess said:
Well, I managed to make a gauntlet (forearm) and I am roughly 85% done with the other one. I only have the one fully completed.

BUT.......of course there is a problem. :(

It's TOO BIG for me!! I even measured it from my wristbone to a little past my elbow and that was from following abrants tutorial on measuring!

I don't remember if you made a Mark VI forearm armor but if you did, I suggest that you use the same length. When I built the ODST forearm, I thought that I made it too big but that's with my bare forearm. When I put on my BDU, it fit perfectly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ral Partha said:
I don't remember if you made a Mark VI forearm armor but if you did, I suggest that you use the same length. When I built the ODST forearm, I thought that I made it too big but that's with my bare forearm. When I put on my BDU, it fit perfectly.

No, I never made the Mark VI forearm. I would also like to point out that the forearm piece that I have just completed is big enough to fit BOTH of my arms in it and still have a little bit of room left! :eek

It's looking like I will have to alter the arm piece so that there is not so much room! I don't want it to look like I have "ape arms"! LOL

Off topic: Damn, you fold pep files REALLY fast compared to me! :p

On topic: If you can't get the armor resized properly to fit your arm/whatever piece you make, you could try making a harness within the armor piece and attach it once it's glassed. Just a thought.

they7692 said:
Off topic: Damn, you fold pep files REALLY fast compared to me! :p

Wanna know how I accomplished that?

Two words......

Child Labor! LOL I had my man's nephew over and I would cut the stuff and he would score the lines for me so all I then had to do was fold and glue! It REALLY made a difference since I was able to finish the forearm all in one day!

ANYWAYS, I decided to go ahead and alter the piece.

It now fits a little better and I do believe that there is enough room so that it will fit over whatever it is that I am going to be wearing underneath! :)

alter2.jpg

Altering this was a pain!!! I had to take it apart then try and piece this all back together! And being that it was such a long piece, it was a bit more difficult, but I still managed..........cause I'm good like that! LOL

alter1.jpg

I already have BOTH forearms altered. I just need to finish up the other one which won't take long since a majority of it is done. I just need to add in that one piece that comes out from the forearm and looks like there are little vent things or something. I don't know what you would call it! :phaha

This is looking awesome! I can't wait to see it finished, this is actually encouraging me to start an odst armor, more then likely the rookie, since I'm so short. >_> the only thing in my way is I use Mac...curses...*mumble* Anyway! great work! I like how you altered it to make it work.

wow, that looks awesome how to altered the forearms :D I'm probably going to do the forearms soon (half way through the helmet now, going to do 1MB's torso piece next), will i struggle with modifying it?

Here they are!!!

The completed forearm pieces! Both altered and ready to be resined! :D

I also started cutting out the pieces for the other shin. The front half is all cut out, scored and folded where needed. Now I just have to glue it all together. Of course, my boyfriends nephew helped again. I won't let him do any of the cutting since he used a ruler and STILL managed to cut crooked lines!!! :D How the #!@$ did he manage that one?! LOL So he just scores the line and folds them while I cut out all the pieces.

But anyhoo, here is the picture of the finished forearm pieces! :D

gauntlet_complete.jpg

Oh snap! I almost forgot!!

I also have these to wear for the boots! :D

boots.jpg

These are about 10-11 years old!!! :eek And they still fit! LOL I got these when I was 16 and was in a police explorer program and was required to get these for the uniform. These things REALLY come in handy! I'm sure these should work good for DARE's boots, right?

HaloGoddess said:
Oh snap! I almost forgot!!

I also have these to wear for the boots! :D

boots.jpg

These are about 10-11 years old!!! :eek And they still fit! LOL I got these when I was 16 and was in a police explorer program and was required to get these for the uniform. These things REALLY come in handy! I'm sure these should work good for DARE's boots, right?

Nice boots, but That reminds me.... i need to get boots for my wip too D:

Looking great so far. Good job on the alterations on the forearms it is hard to tell that there was much change done to them. The boots do look good for the ODST suit. Keep up the great work can't wait to see it finished.

A small update:

So far, I am VERY happy with how much I have completed so far......both forearm pieces, both knees, both of the shins AND the helmet, but it's only in the pep stage. If I'm lucky, I just MIGHT have this done in time.

I will post pictures of the finished shins soon.

Also, I realized that I don't have much more left. I think I got a majority of the bigger pieces out of the way, besides the thigh pieces.

One of my BIGGEST problems...............her back!! I have NO idea what her back side looks like! :eek I caught a small glimpse of her back and was able to tell that she is wearing a backpack, but I have NO clue what it fully looks like! :( Has anybody come across any GOOD pictures of what the back looks like??

And another thing, NONE of the ODST chestplate files look like DARE's. People keep telling me that I should scratch build, but I know that will take me TOO long to try and do and I am kinda pressed for time as I am hoping to have this done in time for the release and I think I might at the rate I am going. So, can somebody PLEASE try and make a pep file of DARE's chestplate for me?? Pretty please, with a cherry on top!? lol And if possible, maybe come up with something for her stomache too! I don't have time to scratch build!! Not only that, I don't have enough pictures of DARE to really see how that stomache piece is created! I can't really figure it out! :(

Hey I'm at school right now and we have a imaging program. I'll see if I can help you out. about the back......

from what i can tell it looks kind of like my under armor backpack I use at school.

It's $40 but I'm sure you can use it for other stuff too.backpack

Okay, I'll try and have the dare stomach done for you soon.

edit: ummm... i tried to make a custom piece...... didnt come out to well. sorry.

McCaboose said:
Hey I'm at school right now and we have a imaging program. I'll see if I can help you out. about the back......

from what i can tell it looks kind of like my under armor backpack I use at school.

It's $40 but I'm sure you can use it for other stuff too.backpack

Okay, I'll try and have the dare stomach done for you soon.

edit: ummm... i tried to make a custom piece...... didnt come out to well. sorry.

So, you couldn't make a stomache piece? :(

Anyways, here is the other completed shin. I decided to put on the boot that I would be wearing and it looks pretty good. So far, the front and the side towards the bottom looks pretty good, but the area that is directly behind my calf muscle looks TOO BIG! It looks kinda funny. I think I can try and alter this, but I don't know if I should resin and glass it first THEN trim it down or do it now. I think it might be easier to trim it after I glass it. Any ideas??

frontshin.jpg
frontshin2.jpg

And sorry for the crappy pictures. I have a huge mirror and stood in front of it then took a picture of the reflection in the mirror. Plus I was in my bathroom and I don't have the best lighting in there. :p

I think the padding should suffice for the TOO BIG problem you keep having. And if that doesn't work, You could use velcro and things of the sorts to keep the parts from sliding off. I think you keep having the problem because the pieces your using are designed for men, I think Dare has slightly altered armor.

Regarding Dare's back:

Her underarmour looks like the standard ODST underarmour. The main difference is her backpack.

Aside from the imagery you can try and pull off of vid-docs (the new footage from the opening cinematic has some good angles of her), here's a quick sketch.

dare001.jpg

One thing you have to remember is the size. Dare's pack is much smaller than the standard ODST pack, closer in size to Mickey's comm pack.

The shape resembles a chopped down version of the standard ODST pack minus the side pouches.

Details include the panel that runs around the back and right side (note how it tapers off toward one side), and a little hooded keypad doohickey on the left.

===

For the chestpiece, Nightshade's ODST-game chestplate actually somewhat resembles Dare's chestplate. The main thing being it's too thin depth-wise compared to hers, which is an easy fix.

For stomach pieces, a quick rough scratch build can be done in less than an hour or two with some cardboard and foamies.

I should have a really rough Dare up in two days or so, with a lot of liberties and shortcuts taken (I'm leaning toward cutting out a lot of pieces for my sister's comfort) so you can take a look.

Best of luck on your costume! If I wasn't so swamped, I'd try and screencap some backpack images for you, but hopefully my quick doodle will help give you the general idea.

On the topic of the gauntlet's being too thick, I posted this in my own thread:

cut about 1/2" strips from the model in specific spots (I'll post a pic of my cuts I made so you know where I mean. I cut them where the arm would not lose any detail or get bent, and now it fits great, and once the padding, etc, is added, it should be fine. I'll get a pic or two up sometime ...

I know it looks like you already fixed that, but I hope it helps somebody. And that reminds me, yeah I gotta do a shin before the other thigh. By the way, for those who are scared to pep Ral's unfold of the Rookie helm, dont be. It took me 1-1/2 hours to score, and the cutting/assembly, although there are a lot of little tabs, is actually pretty fun. I started with the section of plates on the top of the bucket and then the crazy details on the top front, and worked down from there. I'm about half-way done, and it's looking awesome! Big thanks to Rundown and Ral for thier work and talent!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back