ODST Foam armor! Getting ready for Halloween (:

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did applying the rondo to a foam helmet work out? Not sure I have seen that before. Did you have issues with it leaking?

Um i didnt really have any problems. the only thing i ran into is that the foam is soft so when you put the rondo in it you really have to watch it other wise your helmet will squish. i held my helmet the whole time and it turned out fine. oh and i didnt have a problem with it leaking. when i put it together i made sure i sealed up all the seams.

The foam helmet and the rest of build is quite awesome.

So if I'm understanding this right, the helmet was made of the really thin craft foam? Was that really squishy before you put in all the rondo?

So if I'm understanding this right, the helmet was made of the really thin craft foam? Was that really squishy before you put in all the rondo?

yes, completely craft foam.The craft foam alone holds its shape really well. The reason i think it got squish is from the weight of the rondo going in. so it squished a little, but once i started moving the rondo around it helped it a little. Its kinda hard to explain what went on and how i worked the stuff, but it worked haha. I have a Foam CQB helmet so when i rondo that ill record how i did it and ill show you how it squishes per say.

Also thanks everyone for the comments and the support :) i have pictures i just need to get them up once i get my camera back from my brother.

scratch that he didnt take my camera my mom did. she gets back this afternoon :) haha so ill have them up as soon as i can.

Okay i got pics of what i got done.
IMG_0641.jpg

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0639.jpg

IMG_0638.jpg

IMG_0635.jpg

IMG_0634.jpg

IMG_0633.jpg

IMG_0632.jpg

IMG_0631.jpg

Okay thats it for now. been busy look for a job so thats been keeping me busy. I live in Vegas so its like impossible to find a job when your under 21. :/ but wal-mart seems promising.

Holy ....! Your foam helmet look very impressive and I think I will have to use your idea to build a quick Odst suit for my neighbor's kid ( he is 12 year old) thanks to your awesome build.

I used the ODST_rookie_helmet_Smooth I dont know who its by?

It is the smooth verson of the ripped ODST game model that I got from a friend of mine. I can't remember who smoothed it. If anyone know who it was, please notify me:p

Here is to download link if anyone is interested.

painted my helmet. i need to hed back over to home depot or wal mart to get some gray spray paint for the rest of my armor. oh and i still need to work on my shins.... been putting them off for far to long. ):
IMG_0361.jpg

IMG_0360.jpg

IMG_0358.jpg

IMG_0357.jpg

That helmet is beautiful. I'm super jealous
Thank you. I'm glad you like it haha my brother made a comment about it today that I thought was really funny. I was wearing it and he come up to me and says " it looks like you have a road on your head?" at first I had no clue what he was talking about. Then I had to take it off to realize that The yellow line down the middle makes it kinda look like the lines in the road haha. So now I'm not sure if I should go with another color? any ideas?

that helmet is awesome! you should paint the heads of the screws that are sticking out black.
Well thank you and yeah I've thought about painting them but kinda like the look of the screws. I think it gives it an industrial look to it.
Well I'll I got my shins finished today and I'll post pics of them tomorrow.

Hi im new here, still a noob here :)
I have a quick question:
I'm thinking about just scrapping my whole recon helmet project and just go full out foam since my pepping isnt that great and foam seem to be alot easier.
But how do you get the foam to bend and fold like cardstock/paper does? I haven't really messed with foam since elementary, but I just can't seem to get the concept through my head. Shouldnt it pop back in place when your bending it or is there some technique your supposed to use when making pieces out of foam?
I'm sorry, but I've always wondered how some of the members achieved the same looks on their armor as if they were simply bending folding them like it was paper! It's truly amazing to me =D

cut out a wedge in the back of the piece and fold. it's kinda hard to get the angle right, or so i heard, so you just have to keep using a trial and error method.

From my experience with 1/2 inch foam so far, there are typically only two angles you need: 45 degrees and 22.5 degrees, assuming you are only cutting one edge of the connecting pieces. These two cuts remove enough material for connections at most angles to get curved surfaces. 45 degrees sounds like a lot, but when you connect it to a 90 degree edge, it only yields a 22.5 degree angle. Same with the 22.5 degree cut only yielding an 11 degree angle against a 90 degree edge.

From my experience with 1/2 inch foam so far, there are typically only two angles you need: 45 degrees and 22.5 degrees, assuming you are only cutting one edge of the connecting pieces. These two cuts remove enough material for connections at most angles to get curved surfaces. 45 degrees sounds like a lot, but when you connect it to a 90 degree edge, it only yields a 22.5 degree angle. Same with the 22.5 degree cut only yielding an 11 degree angle against a 90 degree edge.

So wait, let's say if I was trying to fold a flap to another of piece on a helmet, I would have to cut (score?) the piece in order to bend the flap? Is that what you guys are trying to say or am I missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back