ODST Foam armor! Getting ready for Halloween (:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a quick question:
I'm thinking about just scrapping my whole recon helmet project and just go full out foam since my pepping isnt that great and foam seem to be alot easier.
But how do you get the foam to bend and fold like cardstock/paper does? I haven't really messed with foam since elementary, but I just can't seem to get the concept through my head. Shouldnt it pop back in place when your bending it or is there some technique your supposed to use when making pieces out of foam?
I'm sorry, but I've always wondered how some of the members achieved the same looks on their armor as if they were simply bending folding them like it was paper! It's truly amazing to me =D
working with foam is one of those things that take time to figure out. you kinda just have to fiddle with things.
RogueSeven and Zat German are right in the fact that cutting wedges and angles on the foam work. Another thing that is always good to use while working with foam is heat. Heat gun is a major help to bending and shaping the foam. you just simply take a heat gun and heat the foam up enough to fold. if you combined the to it works out pretty well.

In other news i have finished my shins. all that is left is to make the knee pads and fanny pack then paint!! :) almost done.
IMG_0645.jpg

IMG_0644.jpg

IMG_0643.jpg

IMG_0642.jpg

Thanks simfam, I think I'll use my cousin's hair blowdryer, hopefully that works :)
Would you mind telling me the brand of craft foam you used and the sizing as well as the price? I'm going to pick some up today and revive my helmet =D

So wait, let's say if I was trying to fold a flap to another of piece on a helmet, I would have to cut (score?) the piece in order to bend the flap? Is that what you guys are trying to say or am I missing something?

Yes, you need to do something to remove foam from the backside so it will bend. Or you edit the pepakura in such a way that the angled cuts go inline with the angles of the piece and mostly disappear.

There are a few ways to do it. I do it with 45/22 degree cuts on one edge of the connecting piece with a scroll saw and the table set to that angle. You can also use project003's "trenching" method which is where you dremel out some of the foam behind where the bend is. Gamemaster does one angled cut on the backside and then glues them together.

Basically, you have to remove some of the foam so it is able to bend. If you try to glue two flat edged pieces of foam together and set them at an angle, it does not work very well because the foam wants to squeeze together.

edit: Oops, missed the new page. Yes, heat is important. Before gluing things, you want to shape the piece with heat first so the edges come together on their own. Also, keep in mind that you can make the back as ugly as you want to get it right, the surface is the only part that really matters. If you are cutting with a knife or scroll saw, or anything that creates a nice edge, do not apply heat to the surface, only the backside! This is important because your edges will shrink and burn a little. This creates bigger gaps you have to fill when you are ready to paint it.

Thanks simfam, I think I'll use my cousin's hair blowdryer, hopefully that works
Would you mind telling me the brand of craft foam you used and the sizing as well as the price? I'm going to pick some up today and revive my helmet =D

Well i just used the standard craft foam from Micheal's. one more thing with the craft foam, you dont need to cut angles or use heat with it. its flexible enough to the point were heat would ruin it. oh and no flaps also.

so sorry for the double post but i got my armor on just to see what it would look like so far so my Friend and I took some pics of our armor together. Hope you guys like it.
80% done.
IMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0651.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

Um team kill?
IMG_0659.jpg

Betrayal -1

Well i just used the standard craft foam from Micheal's. one more thing with the craft foam, you dont need to cut angles or use heat with it. its flexible enough to the point were heat would ruin it. oh and no flaps also.

Interesting. I think I need to do some more playing around with that 3mm craft foam then, maybe even for part/all of a helmet like yours. So far I have been using 1/2 inch for everything and it does get to be somewhat of a pain in areas.

Alright thanks guys! I'm sorry for distract you on your thread simfam, I was just amazed at this new alternative! =]
one last question, if there's no flaps, how are you gluing the pieces together? Especially the rounded areas on your helmet, I don't think your overlapping the pieces of foam onto the other to glue them, it looks to perfect, I just thought you had cut flaps on the end of pieces =o

Nice clean build bra here's a tip before ya paint use plastidip ta seal th' foam it helps paint ta stick ta it keep up th' good work.

laugh it up furball!!!! sent from my T- Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk.

Wow. Seeing it all starting to come together is awesome. I hope my build can look half as good! I love the shins too! Just out of curiosity, why did you omit the middle piece over the calf?

Wow. Seeing it all starting to come together is awesome. I hope my build can look half as good! I love the shins too! Just out of curiosity, why did you omit the middle piece over the calf?
Thanks and well i got frustraighted trying to figure out the templetes from the pepakura shins so i was like screw it and made my own. haha but i left the middle part out because it looked cool and i really didnt want to figure out how to draw a templet for it haha

so sorry for the double post but i got my armor on just to see what it would look like so far so my Friend and I took some pics of our armor together. Hope you guys like it.
80% done.
IMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0651.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

Um team kill?
IMG_0659.jpg

Betrayal -1

ROFL. Okay, not to be distracted from the little skit in the pictures (Because the armor and weapon looks magnificent!!!!) but that's hilarious.

"Shhh..."

"Quick, over there! SHOOT!"

"What the- NOT AT ME!"

Made my night. Thank you.

I'm working on my first build of an ODST, and I may work on a foam costume sometime in the future its looking pretty cool there.

Cool! did you use templates on the SPNKr? cause I cant find any. That's Reach SPNKr right?
Yeah its the one from halo reach but i made my own templates/scratch build.

ROFL. Okay, not to be distracted from the little skit in the pictures (Because the armor and weapon looks magnificent!!!!) but that's hilarious.

Well thanks everyone so to thank you for all the wonderful comments i will post more pictures haha
i got the visor tinted
IMG_0661.jpg

started painting the armor
IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0664.jpg

IMG_0665.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg

Just real quick i want to show you how i did the strap for the thigh
IMG_0667.jpg

IMG_0668.jpg

Note: the lighting was weird so everything looks grayish but its black

Status