ODST Foam build - Stepping up from DFT (Finished Build Pic on Pg. #11)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still have every intention of purchasing a ODST helmet just so I can call my kit complete and there are people out there with far more talent than me that have already done a phenomenal job at casting them. HOWEVER..........I still want to be able to say I did the whole thing myself, so I started smoothing out my pepped bucket.

I had every intention of just making it to wear, but then a friend of mine suggested making it perfectly finished and making a mold of it. That led to orange resin dye and and enough coats applied internally to give the whole thing more than an eight of an inch internal resin coating. This allowed me to basically sand off the majority of actual cardstock and really smooth out the hard edges. In one spot on the lower cheek portion, the resin ran a bit thin, but I believe I will make another batch or two and reinforce that.

From there, body filler should be an absolute minimum to smooth out and work in the finer details.

The pics? Well, that is what the bucket looks like illuminated from the interior and guess what kind of Jack-O-Latern someone will have in October!? LOL!
20190129_193857.jpg 20190129_193924.jpg 20190129_193803.jpg 20190129_193811.jpg 20190129_194031.jpg

Last edited:
I still have every intention of purchasing a ODST helmet just so I can call my kit complete and there are people out there with far more talent than me that have already done a phenomenal job at casting them. HOWEVER..........I still want to be able to say I did the whole thing myself, so I started smoothing out my pepped bucket.

I had every intention of just making it to wear, but then a friend of mine suggested making it perfectly finished and making a mold of it. That led to orange resin dye and and enough coats applied internally to give the whole thing more than an eight of an inch internal resin coating. This allowed me to basically sand off the majority of actual cardstock. In one spot on the lower cheek portion, the resin ran a bit thin, but I believe I will make another batch or two and reinforce that.

From there, body filler should be an absolute minimum to smooth out and work in the finer details.

The pics? Well, that is what the bucket looks like illuminated from the interior and guess what kind of Jack-O-Latern someone will have in October!? LOL!
View attachment 265275 View attachment 265276 View attachment 265273 View attachment 265274 View attachment 265277
That is amazing a d I am getting so many ideas now!!

I had every intention of just making it to wear, but then a friend of mine suggested making it perfectly finished and making a mold of it. That led to orange resin dye and and enough coats applied internally to give the whole thing more than an eight of an inch internal resin coating. This allowed me to basically sand off the majority of actual cardstock and really smooth out the hard edges. In one spot on the lower cheek portion, the resin ran a bit thin, but I believe I will make another batch or two and reinforce that.

View attachment 265275 View attachment 265276 View attachment 265273 View attachment 265274 View attachment 265277
Ooohhh!!! I want to set up my menorah like this for next Hanukkah!!!! Little HALO helmet lightbulbs!!!!

The problem with using too strong of a magnet is that if you are building w/ foam, it has a tendency of tearing away from the foam despite reinforcement and w/ peping technique, it has a tendency of scratching up the armor pretty bad. I've had the notion of using a 2 part phone belt clip to holster a weapon.

View attachment 265251
I would remover the push button release as weight would hold it in place.

Dirtdives, I ran across a video last night of these while scrolling through Facebook.

snap fasteners - SNAP - Fidlock

The guy in the video was demonstrating how the clasp and snaps work and I instantly thought about your idea. Tried a few searches for anyone who might sell them and either they are really, really popular and out of stock, or the company only caters to businesses. Either way, I could not find any site that physically sold the snaps.

This got me to thinking and I ended up laying awake in bed for almost an hour drawing up designs in my head using your initial idea and incorporating neodymium disc magnets to engineer a similar set up. I believe I came up with a design that would have a wider throat opening than the cell phone clip (think "V" shaped versus "U" shaped), but still incorporate the swivel / channel approach while adding in the magnet. I also started thinking of how best to "reinforce" the foam to prevent tearing and give the whole rig a more solid foundation for mounting.

I think I will try to sketch out my idea today and see if I can custom engineer a working model. My intent is to get a working model of the idea but to also design it in a way that it would look natural and part of the ODST armor.

Wish my luck!

You would probably need to use some type of reinforcement plating on the inside of the armor as well as outside. Something to sandwich a larger area of foam to prevent tearing out due to weight. Possibly even some spacers. You would need to use those to prevent pinching the foam.......double edge sword I'm afraid.

So the idea / concept is plausible. This is just a prototype to see IF it would work and if added, I would remake it with a lot more attention to detail on the cuts. I made two and figured by putting one on each shoulder, the rifle could ride horizontal or vertical. By keeping it high on the shoulder reaching back shouldn't be a problem, but I wonder if the shoulder pieces would intefere.

Of course they would be primed and painted. Maybe black to keep them subdued or even silver to tie into the should buckles. Thoughts?

Now the question is: would you put a rig like this on your armor for convenience sake if it works? I'm on the fence to be honest knowing how much work I put into the chest piece and trying to keep it somewhat game accurate. I'm curious to get everyone's opinion on this.
20190130_190148.jpg 20190130_202840.jpg 20190130_204629.jpg 20190130_204647.jpg 20190130_204745.jpg 20190130_205040.jpg 20190130_205055.jpg

So the idea / concept is plausible. This is just a prototype to see IF it would work and if added, I would remake it with a lot more attention to detail on the cuts. I made two and figured by putting one on each shoulder, the rifle could ride horizontal or vertical. By keeping it high on the shoulder reaching back shouldn't be a problem, but I wonder if the shoulder pieces would intefere.

Of course they would be primed and painted. Maybe black to keep them subdued or even silver to tie into the should buckles. Thoughts?

Now the question is: would you put a rig like this on your armor for convenience sake if it works? I'm on the fence to be honest knowing how much work I put into the chest piece and trying to keep it somewhat game accurate. I'm curious to get everyone's opinion on this.
View attachment 265350 View attachment 265349 View attachment 265347 View attachment 265346 View attachment 265348 View attachment 265351 View attachment 265353
I love the execution, but i would probably swap them and put the ring on the prop, with the holster on the armor. That way it's less noticable, but also you may be able to hide the holster in a way. Something that may be tricky to do but also make it more invisible is recess the holster into the armor so it is flush and blends in, and somehow mount a spring backing to it so it looks like a flat surface, but when you go to holster your firearm, the spring can be pushed in to the shape you have now... kind of like a pea dispenser

I love the execution, but i would probably swap them and put the ring on the prop, with the holster on the armor. That way it's less noticable, but also you may be able to hide the holster in a way. Something that may be tricky to do but also make it more invisible is recess the holster into the armor so it is flush and blends in, and somehow mount a spring backing to it so it looks like a flat surface, but when you go to holster your firearm, the spring can be pushed in to the shape you have now... kind of like a pea dispenser

Thanks and yep. That was the intended idea. The "holster" being mounted on the armor itself with the small ring being mounted to the prop. I have an order placed for varying sizes of neodymium disc (15MM - 6MM -X- 3MM) magnets and plan to add those into the concept as well. The theory is that once engaged, the magnets would hold the piece from bouncing around once prop and armor were mounted together. Basically a homemade version of the Fidlock system that I recently saw. I did draw out a template that incorporated the shoulder buckles as well, but being as my current strapping and buckles are solidly stitched, mounted, and glued in place, I didn't want to start trying to pull it apart.

On the prop side (male end) I do believe a simple push button lock system could be internally mounted during the construction of the prop. This would allow you to recess the male end into the prop when carrying it and simple push on the "button" to extended it then slide it into the "V" notch of the armor.

Not sure why I put myself through all this, but should I get a solid working model, the plan would be to counter sink and recess the whole thing into the foam like I did with the quick release buckles that were pictured at the beginning of this thread. I believe that by doing this, it would make the system look like it was integrated into the armor versus just being thrown on. The beauty in using the plastic over metal is that it can be shaped with heat to follow the slight curvature of the piece. I will keep playing around with it once the magnets come in and post updates.

Ok...there is game accurate, then there is physical reality. These are in conflict. We all know that the helmets if sized correctly shouldn't be removable by the wearer unless it was a 2 part piece....again knowing this isn't the case game-wise, the helmet physically doesn't work. Also, if the characters armor is wearing boosters, which some are, putting a weapon across the back again is physically impossible. But that is where the weapon goes in the game......:confused::confused::confused::confused:. I would say go for it and make it look as if it were a game accurate piece. Hell....I want to know where/how you came across w/ this piece....I want one!!!......or 4......just for future builds.

Ok...there is game accurate, then there is physical reality. These are in conflict. We all know that the helmets if sized correctly shouldn't be removable by the wearer unless it was a 2 part piece....again knowing this isn't the case game-wise, the helmet physically doesn't work. Also, if the characters armor is wearing boosters, which some are, putting a weapon across the back again is physically impossible. But that is where the weapon goes in the game......:confused::confused::confused::confused:. I would say go for it and make it look as if it were a game accurate piece. Hell....I want to know where/how you came across w/ this piece....I want one!!!......or 4......just for future builds.

Thanks for the insight. Once I get through the trial and error stage and move to the fitment and durability phase, I'll update the thread.

As far as where/how I came across it..........credit goes to you for the phone swivel idea. I just expanded the idea into a potential workable solution. So credit is all yours sir!

On a side note: how in the world do you tag people in posts!? If I wanted to insert someone's username in a post, how do you do that? I've tried right-clicking, saving, copy & paste, etc. It is driving me crazy as to how to do it.

Elcorio, on a PC, you can drag the name down and it automatically tags. Or you type in the name in the thread/reply, right click and save the link info from person's avatar, and then click on the icon for "Link" and paste it there....I hope that isn't as clear as mud.....

Ok, so I thought I was done and.....well......nope. Buckles are painted and working on the strapping. While waiting for those to dry, started toying around with whatever kind of grenades the ODST carry on their hips.

Can anyone tell me if these were standard or were these just on a specific game, mission, etc. I can't seem to find many reference images or anything and this is what I was able to pull out of the hat with the few images I did find.
View attachment 264074 View attachment 264075 View attachment 264076

The object you’re referring to here is a bio foam canister, they were only mentioned in Halo 3 ODST video game wise but throughout the novels as well. They’re used to seal crucial wounds, essentially like a a cut along the tummy, you’d whip this puppy out and seal it like the spray cheese used for housing and what not. Here’s a link to a YouTube video, at the beginning of it, the canister is being used.

Please Let me know if this is the corr ct object, I believe it is.

–Caleb I.

The object you’re referring to here is a bio foam canister, they were only mentioned in Halo 3 ODST video game wise but throughout the novels as well. They’re used to seal crucial wounds, essentially like a a cut along the tummy, you’d whip this puppy out and seal it like the spray cheese used for housing and what not. Here’s a link to a YouTube video, at the beginning of it, the canister is being used.

–Caleb I.
Ope, actually I haven’t looked at the images you attached when asking about em, I am wrong, you’re right, they do look like flash bangs or something of the sort. My bad.

–Caleb I.

Dog-Gonnit! Now I done went and looked up the biofoam canistor! Doesn't look to hard to fabricate.......

Elcorio, on a PC, you can drag the name down and it automatically tags. Or you type in the name in the thread/reply, right click and save the link info from person's avatar, and then click on the icon for "Link" and paste it there....I hope that isn't as clear as mud.....
Or "@" and someone's name like Dirtdives which will be "@" then Dirtdives and combine it without the quotation marks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back