ODST Foam build - Stepping up from DFT (Finished Build Pic on Pg. #11)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And she's all done. Probably should have paid more attention to the top piece, but I think only a real discerning eye would catch the spacing and unevenness of the top parts.

Tried to match the image, but changed up a few colors options mid paint.

Gungj8-MA5C-transparent (1).png 20190126_125022.jpg 20190126_124950.jpg

something beautiful about someone pushing the skills and upgrading to a game odst and getting away from the DFT

Agreed. All respect to DFT for his hard work and great templates, but they aren't game- accurate, and his ODST helmets are kinda flat on the top. I am enjoying the game accurate builds on here.

something beautiful about someone pushing the skills and upgrading to a game odst and getting away from the DFT

When I built the DFT sets for my kids, the first one was literally by the book, per the tutorial. The second set, I started to put add ins that I thought looked good, but it never fully captured the true bad-assery of the ODST's.

When I initially started my set, I started with the DFT template, but knew that it wasn't the way I wanted to go and grabbed the files from the armory. It was far more challenging going this route, but the end result is pretty dang close to the look I wanted and feel that it does the ODST look justice. Throughout the process, I also wanted to go as strapless as possible for attaching all the pieces. This meant learning how to use a sewing machine and adding copious amounts of velcro in places not meant for it. LOL. In the end, I had to engineer quite a bit behind the scenes, or under the armor to be exact, to keep from having visible straps and am anxiously awaiting the helmet and to "armor up" at a con.

When I built the DFT sets for my kids, the first one was literally by the book, per the tutorial. The second set, I started to put add ins that I thought looked good, but it never fully captured the true bad-assery of the ODST's.

When I initially started my set, I started with the DFT template, but knew that it wasn't the way I wanted to go and grabbed the files from the armory. It was far more challenging going this route, but the end result is pretty dang close to the look I wanted and feel that it does the ODST look justice. Throughout the process, I also wanted to go as strapless as possible for attaching all the pieces. This meant learning how to use a sewing machine and adding copious amounts of velcro in places not meant for it. LOL. In the end, I had to engineer quite a bit behind the scenes, or under the armor to be exact, to keep from having visible straps and am anxiously awaiting to get the helmet and to "armor up" at a con.

I love your eye on the detail. I think DFT is a fine start to learn which it is interned to do. But like you found out the game version is a challenge. I have made 2 full game suit and might start a third to make is game accurate. I am working toward tier 3 armor. You did quite an amazing job and I can't wait to see that thing fully ready. Plus, I hope you deploy and regiment up. You'd be awesome to have at 405th booths and all with such a great set of armor.

Plus, I hope you deploy and regiment up. You'd be awesome to have at 405th booths and all with such a great set of armor.

Thank you. The CO for the Southern regiment messaged me about joining the southern regiment. Not sure what it all entails to join, but I did accept the invite. I've been reading about the tier levels and deployments as well. I like that system and believe I will look to accept a truly game accurate build in the future then submit it for eval.

As far as cons go, I think I need to get a few under my belt first, but it does seem that Dragoncon is the big one for the 405th Southern Regiment and Atlanta isn't all that far from me. Plus I have family in and around that area.....SOOOOO........looks like I'll be adding that to my bucket list. Maybe not this year, but next? I do believe so.

usually the 50 constructive posts, over 18, and are active is usually the case but you RCO will help you more. Also, DragonCon! get them walking boots on for the parade. But most excellent. Can't wait to see more.

turned out lovely man! Because it's foam if you wanted I bet you could add a magnet to attach it to your back

About midway through the rifle build the thought had crossed my mind, but I opted against it. I did do that for my son's magnum and thigh pieces. I put magnets on both sides of the magnum and one each in the thigh pieces. In a static environment, it worked flawlessly, but as soon as the dynamics of him walking in the armor went into effect, the magnum would slide off. I ended up engineering a shelf system for the muzzle to sit on and it worked fairly well, but any moderate bump and the magnum would fall off.

I'm not saying it's out of the realm of possibility, but I've read quite a few posts from others looking for that "magic" set up with out using velcro or straps and it seems that it hasn't quite been mastered yet. For my "back of armor set up" I would want to hide the manner in which it holds the weapon and being as it is finished, I don't want to start chopping at it. Maybe on the next build I'll let the creative juices flow on how to make that work and will post what I come up with.

About midway through the rifle build the thought had crossed my mind, but I opted against it. I did do that for my son's magnum and thigh pieces. I put magnets on both sides of the magnum and one each in the thigh pieces. In a static environment, it worked flawlessly, but as soon as the dynamics of him walking in the armor went into effect, the magnum would slide off. I ended up engineering a shelf system for the muzzle to sit on and it worked fairly well, but any moderate bump and the magnum would fall off.

I'm not saying it's out of the realm of possibility, but I've read quite a few posts from others looking for that "magic" set up with out using velcro or straps and it seems that it hasn't quite been mastered yet. For my "back of armor set up" I would want to hide the manner in which it holds the weapon and being as it is finished, I don't want to start chopping at it. Maybe on the next build I'll let the creative juices flow on how to make that work and will post what I come up with.
Super strong magnets inside the armor?

The problem with using too strong of a magnet is that if you are building w/ foam, it has a tendency of tearing away from the foam despite reinforcement and w/ peping technique, it has a tendency of scratching up the armor pretty bad. I've had the notion of using a 2 part phone belt clip to holster a weapon.

41p3Aa%2BmFUL.jpg

I would remover the push button release as weight would hold it in place.

That certainly looks like a workable solution. Perhaps one mounted high using gravity to hold it in place and a secondary one mounted lower facing outward /rearward? Stock side of weapon falls down into clip, rotates downward and clips in on lower section? Could work, but it would have to be a straight shot and by the look of the HALO armor universe, there isn't a whole lot of straight anything in the armors.

Just for giggles, I googled electromagnets. That would open up a whole new world (Queue music) for "holding" a weapon to the armor, but comes with its own set of pros and cons. Chiefly, power supply, heat generation, internal wiring / switch to turn on / off. I found a small rectangular one rated at 12V with a holding power of 200 pounds, but @ $90 a piece and untested, that is a just a tad to rich for my wallet right now. The smaller round ones are cheaper, but again, that is a realm of testing I am far from ready to start dumping funds into.

Besides, I already have the absolute best way to secure my prop when not needed and its free..............."Here honey, hold this" :lol:

I've had the notion of using a 2 part phone belt clip to holster a weapon.

View attachment 265251
I would remover the push button release as weight would hold it in place.

So Amazon has a pack of these for about $6 bucks. Think I will pull the trigger on the pack and see if I could work it in. Figure a little bit of paint and some weathering and I could make the swivel points look like part of the rifle. The actual female receiving ends might take a bit of ingenuity to disguise on the back of the chest piece.

Even if it doesn't work out for this armor set, I'll have them for another and can incorporate them as the build is being done.

Thanks for the idea Dirtdives!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back