ODST Foam build - Stepping up from DFT (Finished Build Pic on Pg. #11)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No problem dude (be honest, you did my method, didn't you, I won't tell dives)

No shame here. Yes indeed, I used your method! LOL

The whole Biofoam thing that Caleb I mentioned sort of intrigued me. Then I remember reading on another thread about 3d printing grenade covers to use to cover little baseball shaped water bottles. THEN I read about bringing water and snacks to a con because of the price gouging cost. What does this all mean? Well, glad you asked........

It means I ordered a couple of these Water Bottle.jpg and am going to use this image CNJTfH2XAAAw9Fo.jpg as a reference to build some Biofoam canisters that hold water!

Still planning to work out the whole prop holster thing, but I believe the ad-hoc water bottles should be far easier to fabricate. That now begs the question of: where would you mount/carry them on your armor?

OH, and last but not least.........ordered the bucket from Sean Bradley. Its like Christmas with the waiting anticipation!

That's great you're running with the biofoam canister haha, I didn't expect that at all. If you've got an ODST backpack, you could link it to the side or something? Perhaps even a rear waist horizontal mount if that makes sense. Just a thought.

Wasn't as bad as I thought. Still needs a bit of touching up and I broke through the interior in a few spots toward the back of the bucket, but nothing that can't be patch sealed. Picking up a tube of spot glazing putty tomorrow and will start honing in on the smaller detail areas.
20190203_182236.jpg 20190203_182240.jpg 20190203_182246.jpg

Nice work!! CAme out great. A simple light coat of paint or primer should help bring out some of the spots that need that last little bit of attention. And filler primer does wonders!! You’ll have this pained in no time

Not trying to be ignorant if I missed it, but how are you padding your helmet?

Thanks. Haven't quite worked that out yet. I've been reading about that on a variety of forums. I do have access to some hardhat suspension systems that we no longer use at work and was thinking of trying to implement that, but there is no definite. I also have some 40mm 5V fans that I want to add, but the interior of the bucket is still empty for now.

Once the exterior is done, a vacu-form set up for the visor will be next.

The amount of sanding that probably took...hate sanding, but hey, looks very accurate man, nice job, just keep it slow and steady

Thanks. It wasn't that bad. By using the built up dyed polyurethane resin approach, I was able to quickly and significantly knock down the hard edges with the dremel. This really minimized the amount body filler I needed. I also used Evercoat Easy Sand filler over Bondo and it went on silky smooth will almost no pinholes.

I was thinking of making this one a master and doing a mold of it, but there are a few areas that I could have done better, so I believe I will make this one wearable and try again in the future.

It's true, he's been given RXO powers so now he can see all the areas of the site. The only place we can smack talk him is in the Canadian Regiment Only Area where we discuss building a preemptive border wall using snow collected from zambonis.

Elcorio do you have a set of needle files? I find that those are by far the most helpful tools to have laying around when adding recessed lines to armour.

Elcorio do you have a set of needle files? I find that those are by far the most helpful tools to have laying around when adding recessed lines to armour.

TurboCharizard I do have a set. A small flat bar one, triangular one, round, and oblong file set.

Picked up the glazing spot putty and some loctite thread lock red at lunch today. Spot putty for the bucket and loctite for the Bio-foam canister water bottles. I already drilled a hole into the stainless steel top of the cap and ran a steel wall anchor into it to give me an interior thread to lock in an all thread rod. In theory, this will allow me to build the "primer" box, handle, and pins then mount it to the top of the cap. If my devilish plans works, the cap and handle will simply unscrew off the bottle giving access to the H2O while looking completely believable as a Bio-foam Canister. Best part? The interior of the cap is still intact, thus completely spill proof!

........and...........it looks like I have been Regimentalized. Here's to repping the Southern Regiment of the 405th!

Last edited:
The problem with using too strong of a magnet is that if you are building w/ foam, it has a tendency of tearing away from the foam despite reinforcement and w/ peping technique, it has a tendency of scratching up the armor pretty bad. I've had the notion of using a 2 part phone belt clip to holster a weapon.

View attachment 265251
I would remover the push button release as weight would hold it in place.
Psssh show me an example of how you would make this work, been thinking of ways to do my chest

The bucket is coming along nicely. Was a bit nervous about taking the cutting disc to it, but got the visor cut out. A medium coat of primer showed me a few spots I had missed for filling in the pinholes from the resin. Note: Rustoleum's 2X Ultra Cover Paint & Primer gums up my 400 grit sandpaper something fierce, so I believe I will take SI3RRA 117 advice and use filler primer as the base and lightly sand them down to smooth everything out after filling in these areas with some spot putty.

I saved the cut out visor and plan to use the Evercoat Easy Sand to balance it out in some areas and then back it up with a base to serve as a buck. From there it will be off to building a vacu-forming set up!

While I believe my armor came out well, it does seem that the helmets on these builds are the most iconic pieces, so I am definitely taking my time and making sure everything is absolutely perfect on this piece.

20190207_205001 - Copy.jpg 20190208_052351 - Copy.jpg 20190208_052427 - Copy.jpg 20190208_052357.jpg 20190208_052403.jpg 20190208_052454 - Copy.jpg

While I believe my armor came out well, it does seem that the helmets on these builds are the most iconic pieces, so I am definitely taking my time and making sure everything is absolutely perfect on this piece.]

Well, you are well on the way for a perfect piece. Nicely done.

I second what dirtdives said. That helmet looks fantastic.

I myself have been trying to talk myself into building a vacuform machine. Let me know how it goes with yours, I'm interested to see hous it turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back