ODST Foam build - Stepping up from DFT (Finished Build Pic on Pg. #11)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, that armor looks great! Good job elcorio!

You people and your talent make me sick...

...with envy. That is one hell of an incredible ODST!

Thanks! There is a couple of fitment issues that are going to require some tweaking. Chiefly in the shoulder / bicep area. The shirt I am wearing tends to want to sag a bit off my shoulders which means the shoulder pieces want to ride lower than expected. This then causes the bicep pieces to want to pop off. So I'll be looking to improve on that here in the upcoming days / weeks.

Sadly, all the work I put into the flashbang / incendiary grenades and you can barely see them in the pics! Of course this was with my wife taking pictures and she's none the photographer. My sis-in-law is a practicing amateur one though and she's bringing over her green screen set up this weekend! WOOT, WOOT! Photo shoot!!!!

Build came together great!!! Digging the new profile pic and look forward to seeing the results of the shoot!!!

Thank you. I love that pic. All my social media platforms are now that image! A huge thank you to all who followed this build and the generous and positive comments and advice / opinions received. Hopefully I will get to meet some of you at cons in the future and compare notes on builds!

Update on the build:
After several repeated attempts, I finally designed a padding system for the inside of the helmet that I am happy with. I also had these grandiose ideas about adding all kinds of fans inside, but once I crammed my cranium into the helmet, I realized that there isn't a whole lot of left over room, so fan usage will be minimal.

I have also been slowly collecting everything for the vac-forming set up. I found an open box space heater at Wal-Mart for $20 bucks, so snatched that up. I'll need to open that bugger up and by-pass the tip-over sensor in order to lay it down on its back. I ordered four 12" X 24" X 1/8" PETG sheets to use for the actual visor. Figure if I cut each sheet in half, that will give me eight 12" X 12" pieces and should be sufficient to allot for a few screw ups being as I have never done this before. Lastly, I followed SI3RRA 117 's lead and bought a roll of this stuff:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FDVL2A2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seems legit. The dark blue is good and somewhat transitions to a bluish green as the light angle changes. The mirroring is good as well. Plan to try two different ways to apply. First manner will be to lay it down flat, let it dry and cure, then heat and vac-form the whole thing as one piece. Second manner will be to vac-form the visor, then apply the vinyl after forming using low heat to stretch and mold it into the different angles.

The visor that was cut out of the actual helmet is good and solid. I plan to polish up the front of it with the Evercoat filler then back up the back side with some fiberglass and resin, then form up a wooden base to give it a solid foundation to rest on.

Next up will be getting the MDF, aluminum angle iron, and hardware to start fabbing the heat box, vac box, and brackets.

I cheated with my vac box. I first cut 2 pieces of thin mdf that would just fit my toaster over. I then drew about a little over an inch inset box on the mdf sheet. I then cut out the inner box. Did this with both pieces. Drilled a hole on each side for bolts and bam I had a mdf frame and the top and bottom half of my vacuum box that’s a very tight fit.
Then made 4 side for the box and just duct taped the seams. I tried making the frame with aluminum but got frustrated and just cut it from the mdf. I like things quick and simple and this was the result. Not pretty but functional.
630D87D3-D097-4F3B-A85F-BCE471FF4580.jpeg C1336F41-99AF-4401-8E49-B2EBFFAF7F89.jpeg

Another method for the tint you may be able to try. This is what I had in mind to start ,just putting the tint right in my frame and heat and vacuum form it just as you would the PETG. I’ll be watching for results on your other methods as well.

Last edited:
I cheated with my vac box. I first cut 2 pieces of thin mdf that would just fit my toaster over. I then drew about a little over an inch inset box on the mdf sheet. I then cut out the inner box. Did this with both pieces. Drilled a hole on each side for bolts and bam I had a mdf frame and the top and bottom half of my vacuum box that’s a very tight fit.
Then made 4 side for the box and just duct taped the seams. I tried making the frame with aluminum but got frustrated and just cut it from the mdf. I like things quick and simple and this was the result. Not pretty but functional.
View attachment 266258 View attachment 266257

Another method for the tint you may be able to try. This is what I had in mind to start ,just putting the tint right in my frame and heat and vacuum form it just as you would the PETG. I’ll be watching for results on your other methods as well.

This is awesome! I say that because in my mind EVERYTHING has to be exact and clean cut, blah, blah, blah. Then I see what others do and have to remind myself that the process does not need to be complicated or perfect to get the desired result(s).

On vac-forming just the vinyl, I'll give it a shot for sure and update the results.

Thanks for the insight! I am getting anxious to get this part going, but that whole work to pay the bills thing keeps getting in the way! Doh......

In regards to the vac-forming thing, would it be more beneficial to start a new thread on this trial and error process, or just keep it here with my build? I am sure there are already quite a few threads on this subject matter. Just not 100% on how the thread thing works and don't want to overstep anything.

You could do either....remember, it's your thread. Think of it this way, do you want to clutter your suit build w/ a side-build or incorporate it. It doesn't have to be a big long winded thing. Just a quick blurb and start a new thread....or go full tilt and add everything including the kitchen sink to your build. It's your call. Either way....you'll get my "Like"s.

Thanks for the clarity. I'll start a new one then to keep it separate. Hopefully my trial and errors can give someone else a better starting point without the errors part or have to dig through my build thread to find it. However, I won't create it until I have some kind of progress and media to accompany it.

Thanks Dirtdives

Thanks for the clarity. I'll start a new one then to keep it separate. Hopefully my trial and errors can give someone else a better starting point without the errors part or have to dig through my build thread to find it. However, I won't create it until I have some kind of progress and media to accompany it.

Thanks Dirtdives

No problem and just know I'm interested in building a vac former myself so I'll be waiting and watching eagerly.

Ya I’m not the best at documenting my building practices. It’s usually just an afterthought so I throw it my build threads. But if you plan on documenting some step by step processes I think I would start a new one as well!!

Those look amazing! But my question is, how bad did those palmettos RIP apart your armor? If it's anything like my legs, you need to take that set of armor to the hospital!

The armor held up exceptionally well to be honest. I was in it for the better part of two hours with no issues at all. To get to the wooded area outside, we walked about a block to the end of the neighborhood. I was more worried about the boot covers tearing when I walked across the gravel lot near the pump station. The aluminum liners I put in them handled it like a champ and even when I slipped a bit, the foam didn't tear but the aluminum bent back a bit. It really was a simple fix.

The palmettos weren't an issue at all. There is quite a trail that leads around the pond where kids go fish, so it was clear enough for me to walk and not hit them. Just looks that way. All about camera angles I guess. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back