ODST Foam WIP (Pic Heavy) GySGT Buck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had a lot of experience with this, this past week... But it's still just my opinion, you have to do what works best for you!

Rondo is super easy to use, but it goes on a bit thick and has pretty miserable strength. If inner size is an issue, go with fiberglass. Two thin layers will give you good strength.

I cracked my rondo-only helmet earlier this week, from putting my arm and not much pressure on it. My all fiberglass helmet I can sit on, though it has three layers of glass and a layer of rondo.

The downside to glass is it is REALLY a pain to get it into cracks and details of the piece. People go rondo if they're not going to be too rough with their armor, or if strength isn't an issue, and they want to get something done quick and easy, as rondo alone will probably take an hour less time in work, and two hours less in curing, than fiberglass because it's liquid, and the two catalysts make it set at bondo speeds which are faster than resin speeds.

A really fantastic compromise for strength and ease is to first glass all of the easy to fiberglass areas. Then use a batch of rondo to fill in the details. If you use enough rondo, you can smooth out and cover the details enough to easily put a layer or two of fiberglass over the rondo to reinforce it. Honestly though, so long as you are careful with the rondo, and lay the fiberglass down flat, you won't be getting a whole lot of space taken up by the stuff, unless you sized the helmet to just fit your head.

Bottom line, fiberglass will always win in strength to thickness, but rondo is easy to use and can get into crevasses like it's nothing.

Great information there katsu you have also been very helpful! :D

WOW great job on the helmet man =D looks fantastic and also the pistol looks great, keep up the good work

WOW great job on the helmet man =D looks fantastic and also the pistol looks great, keep up the good work

Thank you, im glad its easy on the eye i was so worried that it would not turn out right, but everything is coming together so smooth

Updates will be probably coming a lil slower as due to i am starting a new job for welding and sheet metal apprenticeship. So hopefully the skills i learn from that i will be able to put forth into making some awesome props and such outa metal someday.:D

I hope you get your welding skill to the point to where you can build metal props. On my practice jfk helmet on the inside I put two coats of resin and a product called dyna hair, one coat of resin on the outside, the draw back is that it weighs two pounds with out any bodo or anything else mounted on to it, but I can stand on it and I weigh 235 lbs. I will be trying other products to find the right combo of weight verses strength. I hope it helps and keep up the great work I have tried using foam and it is not easy, well atleast not yet.

I'm looking at the helmet again and... you might want to redo it a bit bigger. It looks pretty small proportionally, and if you're already having fitting problems, when you add in padding and electronics you may not fit at all, better to catch it now than later

I'm looking at the helmet again and... you might want to redo it a bit bigger. It looks pretty small proportionally, and if you're already having fitting problems, when you add in padding and electronics you may not fit at all, better to catch it now than later

If i go much bigger tho then it will look cartoonish as i have a large melon at a size 7 1/2 hat already. i am going to add some padding but not alot just enough to have some comfort

And a kinda in game look :D
0327121556a.jpg

I love it!! lol now you just need the crosshairs on the screen lol

Everything is looking great, that is some very clean pep work ya got there friend :)

Update time-

well we have had a few days of some weather above 60 degrees and was able to get a couple coats of resin on my ODST helmet, and found out just how toxic the stuff really is.(thank god for the respirator) On the first coat i had done the mix in plastic solo cups(DO NOT DO THAT) it quickly ate through the plastic cup and ran all over the place but thankfully i had some protection on the table i was on and with some quick cleanup with some acetone the crisis was averted. But other than that i am pleased with how it is coming out so far and WITH NO WARPING :D then i will finally be able to start glassing the inside with 2 layers of fiberglass and then onto the bondo, paint, visor etc... But as always pics speak louder than words so here they are

The helm by itself...
0409121855.jpg

The helm along with everthing i used for the resin process, rubbergloves, evercoat poly resin & hardener, popsicle stir sticks, cheap disposable brush, respirator, a cheap stand for the helmet to dry on and lastly acetone for cleanup.
0409121854.jpg

Added finishing details to my knife with rivets along the sheath and on the handle of the blade simulating holding the tang to the handle all made out of craft foamies and the eva foam i used for making my armor. I know its not bucks knife but with the velcro i will be able to use it with both this build and my future reach build
0409121855a.jpg

0409121855b.jpg

and then looking at some awesome nerf builds by skylow and Nick Nack Patty Wack, i decided i too am going to try to build and awesome MA37 out of a nerf recon though i just started it, there isnt much done yet, I know its not the exact assault rifle that buck used but its darn close lol but like i said neither is the knife :p
0409121856.jpg

Hopefully things will get back into swing again now that i am starting to get used to my new work schedule and will be able to have more updates along the road

You're build is coming along nicely
I love it!! lol now you just need the crosshairs on the screen lol

Everything is looking great, that is some very clean pep work ya got there friend :)
pretty good cant wait to see it when you are done

I'am very glad y'all like everything so far and i hope to continue doing well and i am trying my hardest not to dissappoint :D

As always feel free to comment and,
Happy Armoring 405th :cool

Lookin' good mustang!

Are you planning on modding the guts of that nerf at all so that the darts will pack a little more punch?

Lookin' good mustang!

Are you planning on modding the guts of that nerf at all so that the darts will pack a little more punch?

Not sure if i will or not but the thought has crossed my mind cuz your right in the fact that it does not have any oomph to it lol, I have thought bout having just a static prop but a working one would be much nicer :)

Looking good man, I really love that knife :)
I have the same gun and might do the same thing. Ill be watching u for tips muhahahaha... ok sorry got little carried away there lol

Looks great, i really want to see the end result. One question though, what have you been using to cut the foam? The cuts look very clean.

helmet and knife look great, the knife looks really smooth and the helmet looks like there are no parts that have any warp, keep it up :)

Thank you guys glad you like it so far:D Hopefully the weather will get a lil warmer soon so i can start glassing the interior of the helm, also i have been working on the MA37 pep file for parts im going to use with the recon build to make parts with a stong 1:1 ratio Rondo mix by basically using the pepped parts as a mold for the rondo crossing my fingers and eyes that it works. as for the spring inside the gun im thinking bout replacing it with one from a real pistol to really give it some power behind the darts if i keep it a working prop

as for the spring inside the gun im thinking bout replacing it with one from a real pistol to really give it some power behind the darts if i keep it a working prop

I definitely vote for modding the gun and keeping it working!!! That little bit of effort will make it so much more fun :D

I definitely vote for modding the gun and keeping it working!!! That little bit of effort will make it so much more fun :D

Well i did try to stretch out the spring in the gun to make it shoot farther however that did not work and i dont have one in my collection that will fit so i think it will just become a static prop :( but i hope it will still look good either way.

Also sorry for the lack of any real update this time i have been swamped with work and even with the good weather this weekend i have been building a doghouse with porch big enough for 2, 80lb dogs :p but the weather has been progressively getting better so i will be finishing up in the near future just a lot on my calendar at the moment.

Happy armoring y'all :cool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back