Odst W.i.p.

Status
Not open for further replies.

minsm001

Hello 405th,

After spending a lot of time on the forums, and only having made individual test pieces, I've decided to build a full ODST uniform as my first big project. In November I was privileged enough to meet BishopX, who has been acting as my pseudo-mentor, and he gave me a couple of molded helmets to start with. Unfortunately BishopX did not make these and he was unable to recall who had; please, if you recognize the helmet as your art PM me so I can thank you properly.

IMG_0334.jpg

The day I received my helmets!

I should, at this point, mention that I am not building alone. I've given halorookie, a classmate of mine, the second helmet for her ODST build for Comic-con. All work in this thread is done as a team effort, and though she is not in all the pics she deserves equal credit.

First thing I had to do was smooth out the interior of the helmet by hand using 60 & 100 grain sand paper. There were places where the material had pooled before hardening, and would have kept me from being able to install the PETG vacu-formed faceplate. Then I removed the faceplate and rebreather vents from the molded helm using a Dremmel with the reinforced cutting head, and the grinding tip.

IMG_0383.jpg

You can see I used all of my safety gear. As I worked the helmet, there was a lot of powdery debris everywhere. Never wise to breathe it in, in my opinion. :p

IMG_0401.jpg

Next, I primed and painted the helmet using Rust-oleum brand spray paints. They have a nice color palette, and an entire line designed for vinyl and plastic. Also, they're prices are very reasonable at less than ten dollars a can, even for metallics. My helmet is a solid drab green around, squad color on the "forehead" and moderate battle damage.

IMG_0745.jpg

halorookie and I using painter's tape to mask a section of the second helmet for painting. Her helmet's color scheme varies from mine by integrating a tan camo stripe down the center, and she has only minor battle damage.

Once primed and based, we sprayed pre-designated areas in a silver metallic, then we placed torn strips of painter's tape over the areas when dried.

IMG_0732.jpg

Two light coats of the green covered the excess silver. After drying, the tape was removed and torn into yet smaller pieces. Once again we covered the silver, but this time only applied a single, light coat of green.

IMG_1603.jpg

The final effect is quite impressive. The burn scarring around the areas was done by hand. ;)

Next up was the rebreather vents. My intention is to use the top, smaller, vents for the cooling system I'm designing; and the lower, larger, vents will have speakers installed so people can hear me clearly while wearing the helmet.

IMG_1602.jpg

I used screening for windows (purchased at Home Depot at $4.45 for a 48"x56" roll) in two layers to cover the vents. The spacing is enough to allow airflow, but when worn cannot be seen through.

IMG_1604.jpg

Now here I am with a nearly finished helmet.

IMG_1605.jpg

Can anyone give me ideas on how to attach the visor? I've already tried Dap brand adhesive sealant, but it takes too long to cure and ends up all over the place. Luckily, once cured, the Dap sealant just peels right off, so no damage to the visor, yet.

Its looking great! Thats a great first post! As far as installing the visor, Try some hot glue. Its quick and easy. I think that is what most people use. Are you going to black wash the helmets at all? As far the helmets, the look like the Rube helmet, although I'm not sure, one of the ODST guys like Sean Bradley could tell you for sure.

that looks very nice.

I would go with using Hot Glue.

which is what I'm using to hold my visor's in place.

Brandon/ Miky,

Thanks so much for the great idea! When I get home from school this afternoon I'll try it out and let you know.

Also, another small update:

My chestplate is pepped and ready for strengthening. I used the piece modeled by Kirrou, which I prefer for it's inner lip. Solid structure when built, and already hard enough to take a one story fall. Not bad without any resin or glass work!

IMG_1565.jpg

IMG_1566.jpg

IMG_1568.jpg

IMG_1569.jpg

halorookie and I are working on her chestplate, but we will have to build it using cardboard. The pepakura won't allow us to tailor the piece to her body type. Any suggestions, because neither of us have done cardboard builds before?

Gixxer said:
whoah .. excellent helm ! .. and yeah .. i also use hot glue to fix the visor to the helm ..

Gixxer, thank you. I wish I'd thought of hot glue earlier on, because I used it to close off the vents with that mesh. I could've been finished a week ago! :lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I REALLY like the battle damage. Many people don't know when to stop, but yours looks fantastic. Looks like this can very well become an epic build.

AceHigh said:
I REALLY like the battle damage. Many people don't know when to stop, but yours looks fantastic. Looks like this can very well become an epic build.

Ace, first off let me say that I've been following your "Jorge... Coming To Life" thread and your artwork is amazing. Can not wait to see it all put together and worn! As for my own work, thank you for your comments. I really wanted to do something that would add character to the piece, while retaining its believability as an in-service piece of military equipment. I spent a lot of time playing the game, and taking screenshots for reference. What I noticed is that even the game pieces had a minimal amount of battle damage, and yet each one felt very different from the next. I simply copied Bungie, lol. :rolleyes

armercrazy said:
That is a sick looking helmet, I'm not gonna lie. Awesome job, keep it up.

Armercrazy, welcome to the forums! Thank you for your kind words. Hopefully, before the day is out, I'll have pics of my helmet with the visor locked in place. By the way, you mentioned aqua resin in your thread. Why not just use epoxy resin? They sell it at places like Home Depot as fiberglass resin near the paint section. I picked some up for the chestplate and I can let you know how it works out for me.

Brandon McClain said:
As far the helmets, the look like the Rube helmet, although I'm not sure, one of the ODST guys like Sean Bradley could tell you for sure.

its one of Rube's. i couldnt tell you if it was one of the recasts or not, but its his helmet. Everything looks so clean that i think it might actually be one of the originals.

That helmet is really looking pretty! hehe I bet it's easier to start off with a mold of a helmet because then you get to skip all the cutting, gluing, resining, fiberglassing and bondo part. :p

that is a rube helmet. did e buy it from rube?? the reason i say this is becuase me and rube are the only ones who put the details under the brow of the helmet and the way the vents are cut and the nike check on the ears.

mrbungle said:
that is a rube helmet. did e buy it from rube?? the reason i say this is becuase me and rube are the only ones who put the details under the brow of the helmet and the way the vents are cut and the nike check on the ears.

Like he said BishopX gave it to him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back