Official pepakura scaling thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
where should i measure from for the chest. should i measure from just under the ribs to about 2 or 3" above the shoulder. im so confused. lol

heres a quick question:

whats a good scale size for the cod peice. 32" waist. so im gonna boost the numbers to 34" do to clothing.

anyone close to this size?

been haveing issues with this one part

nut163 said:
yes. i have "bought" heh heh. pepakura designer 3 and it can export .obj files which can then be converted to .3ds or whatever type you need.

Can someone help me with scaling?
I use pepakura designer 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't scale my helmet but I think that if I had it wouldn't even fit. right now I'm just at the pep stage, and its my first try at doing anything like this.

ok... so sorry for asking a question that may have already been asked.... but there are a LOT of pages in this thread. i got a question about where we take the measurements... for most of the other parts of the armour like the head, foot, shins, thighs and whatnot are pretty straight forward for me.... but for the chest.... i'm a bit unsure, dose the measurements start at the top of the abs ? or do you measure from the diaphragm up ? and where do you finish with the highest measurement ?

EDIT: haha ok, so right after posting this i realized that there is a similar question right at the top of this page lol... i find this a bit rionic

Hey guys,

I'm fairly new to this whole pepakura thing and I need some help scaling. I promise that I read through all 19 pages and haven't found anything pertaining to the question I have. Also, I tried searching something on the subject and still, nothing. I made Robo's MKVI helmet and scaled it to 64.972318 and it came out pretty perfectly. So, now I want to tackle the chest piece. I want to do FS's HD MKVI chest. However, I'm a little concerned about how to scale the chest. I'm not sure if the same scaling methods mentioned on page one will work. I'm not asking for someone to figure it out for me, just a little bit of help or advice.

I'm about 5'5" tall and I weight about 165 pounds. Slightly awkward question. . . because I'm a girl, how am I supposed to allow for my breast size underneath the armor. I'm pretty well endowed in this area and I wanted to know if I should up the scale a little bit to allow for this. Thanks for any help!

EDIT:: Also, someone mentioned to me about making a low-def version of the armor as a size tester. Not sure if anyone has any information or where I might find a version like this of the armor. Thanks again!

~Paris

Hey Guys,

So far I've read up to about page 8 and realized that the start of this thread was started sometime in 2007..
I am assuming then that most people were using versions older than version 3...? Because everyone was talking with scales of 20-27range... the version 3 that I had was all in mm which was confusing me even more...which is why I decided to switch to version 2.

I am trying to do a helmet for the 1st time and I have sized my head to ~22inch...

One of the guys on here said that his was also 22in and he scaled his to 25, which fit well...

Now, my question to you is do I put in the value of 25 in the Assembled size (height) 25cm OR the scale part below it?
I tried in the scale but it said it needed a valie between 1 -200 or something.. If people are saying ie: scale is 25.. do they really mean Scale = 0.25???

what am I doing wrong? Sorry, not very good with math

My Total Hight = 68.5in + 2in added height for the inside of helmet = ~ 70in
70/86 = 0.81395
Multiply that number times the scale it currently is...so 26.5cm * 0.81395
= 21.569...cm (assembled size (height)) ?

I think this is correct?

Thank you SO SO SO SO SO much!
Now I can make the armorz!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL!!!!!!!!!

anyone have experience with scaling the Mark VI high detail pep's? im having trouble working out sizing.... i did a chest tester but that came out really small...

im about 6 foot 4 and have about a 48 chest ive set the chest pep file set to to the following for now...

height - 443mm
width - 414mm
depth - 423mm
scale - 2.655587

can anyone suggest better settings please? im gonna print out a little of the front section to try and get a sizing for it.... but if anyone knows fora fact it'll be too smal can they say so please so i dont waste time and paper lol

thanks again anyone that can help

Just a thought for you struggling, after you scale the file and are ready to print measure some of the big pieces before you print. Remember if you print to 8.5 x 11 paper and you measure two or three of the chest pieces or arm pieces then you can measure your chest or arm and check dimensions will fit. Hope this will help

Also if you have a hard time getting into your helmet, you can cut off the back portion and simply use magnets to hold the part on. The stormtroopers on the 501st forum do this often so check it out.

Bamabat

most of the posts here are form 2007 and i was wondering with the new pepakura 3.0 how do you resize i have been having to down load the designer and increse the size by 10% to 20% to make sure it fits and even then i have to move the peices to make them fit on the page

Hey everybody, I don't know about you but I realized after making both a fore arm and bicep-shoulder pieces and using the previous formula for scaling my pieces come out HUGE!!! :mad: Anyway I took some time to figure out my own scaling formula and it worked like a charm. Give it a try yourself and tell me if I'm wrong.

My formula is == SOLVE FOR "Z"

Height in inches * 2.54 = X

(X/86)= Y * 30.342 = "Z"

Example: I am 6'3" which is 75 inches times 2.54 = 190.5cm

190.5 / 86 = 2.215116

2.21156 * 30.342 = 67.21108

67.21108 is my scale!!!

Again try it yourself and tell me if it works. (y)

I'll post some pics of my screw ups and my successes later.

I'm having the same problem. I use Pepakura Designer 3 and have no idea how to use it, plus measure my head for the scaling. Please help!

I've posted a topic about a formula that I have developed during the production of my own armor. It's based on a set of constant ratios that correspond mathematically to your height. Check out my topics to find the post!

Last edited by a moderator:
Either Ive got a huge head, like the size of MC, or Im just dumb and cant get the sizing right. Im 5'7" and Ive resized it 3 times now. Im using the 6'0" sizing now. I guess Ill just have a bunch of extra helmets and pieces to do who knows what with!!

*noob*

According to Friz, Fraz's files are what his idea aplies to...
Where are these Fraz's files he speaks off?

SO Check it....

In my opinion there is NO SCALING CALCULATION which can tell YOU what the correct pep size is. Everybody's body is different. You could be super fat or super skinny or a mix of the two. Pick a piece of armor, change the scaling to cememeters and measure that body parts height. make sure the corresponding cm are placed in the height box...the width and legnth will fall into place depending on what your height needs to be.

THen use trial and error. I've had to make two chest pieces because i have large man pecs and big traps. I work out...but I have a small waste and big theighs...so I"ve had to play around with the sizing throughout every piece.

Yes its a pain in the ass to make more than one piece for the same body part...but getting the right fit is priceless. So, stop asking how to make it perfect the first time...cause chances are, one piece will work at a set scale and another body part will need adjusting.

Besides, if you make too many pieces, you have something to practice fiberglassing or bondo'ing before you actually start to mess up your correctly sized armor.

If this were easy...everyone would have been a Spartan for halloween last year!

DOnt give up...just keep cutting and gluing...

Does anyone know how big the MC armor that you can download in the Tutorial: How to use Pepakura to make your Mjolnir Armor file is? Its scale is like 30 something or nother, I dont have the number memorized. Is that set to the real MCs height and such, or is it scaled down. Im a noob at all of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back