Official pepakura scaling thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey i started my helmet the other night, now i decided to print the chest piece for the hd MK VI. i think its the flying squarel one, and i'm pretty sure just by looking at the pieces its to small, im curious as to what the scale would be for this piece if i am about 5'10", the reason i dont wanna do the math myself is im really bad at math and i really don't wanna keep screwing it up any advice?

Hey there guys, im 1000000% new here, but i would like to give a little opinion on armor scaling. I dont know if anyone else is like me, but i really like the size and bulky-ness of massive armor. I fit the massive pieces to me with foam and massive rubber bands (Moon shoes) So the armor fits. Movement in the arms becomes sorta tight, but with the correct fitting, i dont even notice it. Just to say, im like 5 foot 9, and i use standard chief sized armor. Holding weapons also looks epic too. Handplates are kind of biznitch to work around, and my E.o.d head was sized to mine. Also, when sanding the armor, its so much easier to get the cool detailed look with bigger armor pieces.

Cheers,

Clad

I used the scaling equation for my helmet and it came out great.(after 4 wrongly sized peps)Know I am moving to the chest peice. I would prefer not to make 5 peices before I make one that fits. I'm 5'9" and when I divided 69 by 86 then multiplied that number by 30.342, I came out with 24.34. When I put that in the pepekura designer in the scale factor. My full set of chest peices fit onto 4 peices of paper. I didn't make it anyway because my 1 year old nephew didn't need any halo armor. So please someone!!!!! I'm not asking you to scale my chest peice for me (5'9", 130lbs, fit)WHAT I am asking is for is for someone to give me a decent average number so I can make a peice hopefully get it, if not and then rescale to fit me.

Would I use this formula for all the parts? I just did this for the MK VI Left Shoulder, and all the parts were smaller than the 1 page. I'm 72+2 IN. Does this make sense?

fluffybunny117 said:
I used the scaling equation for my helmet and it came out great.(after 4 wrongly sized peps)Know I am moving to the chest peice. I would prefer not to make 5 peices before I make one that fits. I'm 5'9" and when I divided 69 by 86 then multiplied that number by 30.342, I came out with 24.34. When I put that in the pepekura designer in the scale factor. My full set of chest peices fit onto 4 peices of paper. I didn't make it anyway because my 1 year old nephew didn't need any halo armor. So please someone!!!!! I'm not asking you to scale my chest peice for me (5'9", 130lbs, fit)WHAT I am asking is for is for someone to give me a decent average number so I can make a peice hopefully get it, if not and then rescale to fit me.

Honestly, I never used those formulas. Sure they work, but only for some armour pieces (some are made by different people, etc.) so they'll never "work" for everything. You're better off taking measurements on your own body in ACTUAL units of measurement (i.e. inches, centimetres). A nice formula for converting proportions of armour into actual units of measurements can be found in abrant3's thread. He has an entire thread developed for the purpose of using very simple numbers to give you numbers you can input into pepakura..tried it myself, works pretty much everytime.

Watcher in the Darkness said:
ummm how do u scale in the new version 3 pepakura?

If you look at the top toolbar and click "2DPatternWindow", select "Change Scale of Development", you can adjust by 10% or you can specify which dimension you want to suit. So for example, say you measure your leg and you want your thigh piece to be 32cm tall, you change the "height" number to 320mm (this is because 1CM = 10MM, watch out for this. Basically take the cm measurement and multiply by 10). Sometimes, it can be tricky trying to figure out which dimension is which on some pieces, but in general it's always height will correspond to height of the piece. That's the gist of it.

UW MASON91 said:
Would I use this formula for all the parts? I just did this for the MK VI Left Shoulder, and all the parts were smaller than the 1 page. I'm 72+2 IN. Does this make sense?

Like I said for the other person, the formula does NOT work on all parts. I don't just mean that it won't work from Mk. VI Spartan armour to ODST armour or Marine armour, but I mean that if say for example I model a MK VI shoulder piece and you model a MK VI shoulder piece, it might scale differently. I don't know why exactly to be honest, but in those kinds of cases (especially for newer pieces) you might just be better off taking measurements off your own body and inputting those. Or, as also mentioned before, you can give abrant3's thread a try..like I said, almost always works.

Good luck to all!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully sumone can help me with this. I'm 5'11" and when i scale the torso of master chief the pieces dont fit in the outlined pages...what can i do???

White_Wolf2299 said:
Hopefully sumone can help me with this. I'm 5'11" and when i scale the torso of master chief the pieces dont fit in the outlined pages...what can i do???

You can move them, turn them and allign them where they fit into the space provided. If you need more help on this, PM me, I'll walk you through this. It's really easy after you do it once or twice. :)

toobig.jpg

That's a picture of the shin armor I finished pepping a few days ago. Here's my question: is it too big? I'm thinking it is, because in most of my reference pictures the bottom of the piece is quite a bit farther above the ankle.

It looks right to me Ponchato, a little bigger than it should be at the bottom maybe but unless someone has a eagle eye at a convention I don't think it would be noticeable.

OK guys now for my question, this should be intresting. I already know where to put the scale number in at for my Pep Designer 3, now here is my question without me having to go back and search throught the other 22 pages of this topic and other topics. I am doing something called One Month , One Costume, One Person . Which I am going to be making a suit of Armor each month starting with the Mark VI, then the ODST, and then the Marine. Now here is my question is there a person here that could tell me or point me in the direction of a post that says the scale for the parts of each of those costumes that will be the correct scale or as close to the correct scale for a 6 foot avarage person. If someone here can help me with this it would help greatly, oh the only thing I do not need a scle for is the helmets for the three I already built each of them in a day a piece or at least the pep part, waiting to finish the whole suit before I start on the resining and bondo.

Hey everyone i am having issues with scaling the Smooth Recon Helmet from belakor from the Halo costuming wiki. I am 5' 8'' and when ever i put this in 25.049790 to scale it, it keeps going way to big. If there is someone out there that can help me it would be great thanks.

Please forgive this question, but as you can see i am a noob at this..

does this method of scaling work for pepakura designer 3.0? I cannot seem to get it to work out..

Okay I don't want to add to the flames but really this thread I've searched a good amount of it.. not all of it but alot of it and couldn't find any information about how to properly scale RUNDOWN's ODST helmet. When I go to scale other helmets it works just fine but it seems for this one the default scale seems to be 493.527342 WHICH IS RIDICULOUS. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills because no one's formula could possibly work with a number that large.

AssassinGT said:
Okay I don't want to add to the flames but really this thread I've searched a good amount of it.. not all of it but alot of it and couldn't find any information about how to properly scale RUNDOWN's ODST helmet.

Post #7 of this thread states that the method outlined here is meant for JediFraz's files only. Having said that, the main idea of scaling still applies.

AssassinGT said:
When I go to scale other helmets it works just fine but it seems for this one the default scale seems to be 493.527342 WHICH IS RIDICULOUS. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills because no one's formula could possibly work with a number that large.

You have to understand that each modeler scales their work differently, which is why we always ask for the specific file and its creator in order to help with the scaling. So the scaling number associated with file doesn't mean much when comparing different files. Your scale number of 493 is actually quite small. Mine is 558 (assembled height of 30 cm) and I'm worried that the helmet is a tad small for my head. Instead of using the scale number, use the assembled height value. If you have built a Mark VI or WETA ODST helmet before, use its assembled height value plus 2-3 cm to compensate for the narrowness of the ODST Rookie helmet.

Does anyone know the original scale of Flyingsquirl's Mark VI Helmet? Master Chief is 86" tall and I am 72" tall so I have been scaling everything by .837209. Basically 84%. I want everything to be proportionate. The current Pep model I have is 26.5 cm tall. That seems pretty small even for me.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back