"Opening"'Resin Hardener

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGCrisis

This is going to sound like a silly question, but I want to get my mix right: what should be used to make the hole in the tube of liquid catalyst? A needle? I want to make sure I don't make the hole to big and flash cure the resin or make it too small and end up with ruined peps. I haven't seen this answered before and google turnEd up nada. Thanks guys/gals.

Yep just use a needle or pin. You will have more control over the amount that comes out with a tiny hole as opposed to a larger hole. :)

Interesting question! :) Yes, as the others said, a needle or knife will make a small enough that you'll be able to have full control over how many drops come out.

Thanks guys. I used a standard sewing pin as it was the smallest thing I had to get an even hole of appropriate size.

I think a got a drop or two extra though, or maybe just a touch less resin than I should have (pouring 1oz. from a 1gal. can ain't exactly easy without making a mess), cause I think I got maybe 7-8mins at most before it gelled to the point of uselessness. I'll try a drop or two less next time, since I didn't think to account for the bit of resin that stayed in measuring shot, etc.

Oh well, live and learn, that's why I did my Doctor Doom mask before the Predator mask, so I could potentially ruin something easily replaced and that didn't hold a huge hold on me.

I have to laugh. I basically work out of my car and the first time I went to resin I didn't have a pin or knife with me and when I discovered the opening needed to be punched I was pert bummed (I was about five minutes from home but didn't want to make an additional trip). After rummaging through the car I came upon a metal-tipped pen which I was able to depress far enough to make an opening...the method has kind of stuck with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back