Pipninja's Spartan Neck seal!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipninja

Member DIN
S770
So I find I keep making these one off posts, sharing the different little things I've been working on, and today is no exception. I finished the Version two of my Spartan neck seal! These were inspired by KitKatGoose , and I had made the patterns from there.

So I'll start at the beginning, with version one. Ill gloss over the process, because it was basically the exact same as V2. Here was the first iteration.
PXL_20220712_075014084.jpg

PXL_20220712_075247551.jpg
PXL_20220713_000831608.jpg

So after wearing this at ECCC, I decided I wanted to make improvements.

Here are the new things I needed:
- needed to be easier to sew
- needed to curve the neck so it wouldn't scrunch, and would better cover my shoulders
- wanted more secure fastening
- wanted better cleanup of raw edges
- wanted shorter, less floppy ear straps.
- Higher back for more structural support of ear cups
- higher chin coverage.

With all these in mind, I started with patterns. The original patterns were created using seran wrap and duct tape around my neck, and Turing that into cardstock patterns that I slowly altered to get the new shapes I wanted

PXL_20220918_003324258.jpg

From there, I transferred my patterns to my fabric, with a specific seam allowance, that allowed me to just line up my presser foot to the outside edges.

PXL_20220918_043230293.jpg

From there, it was just a process of cutting out, and sewing all those parts together. I made an inside liner of 4-way stretch spandex, and an outside liner of a 4-way stretch rubberized fabric from joann's.
PXL_20220918_223339975.jpg

After I made both inside and outside, I joined them at the top and bottom edge. From here it was time for final clean up. I added Bias Tape to the ear cups, and to the rough edge on the back seams, cleaning everything up. I also did a straight stitch on the top and bottom where the inside and outside came together, to force them to lay flat together. The last step from there was to sew on two Velcro strips to attach to each other in the back. I used 2" wide Velcro, so I can adjust the fit as much as I need.

PXL_20220919_003729658.jpg

PXL_20220919_025446747.jpg

PXL_20220919_025454084.jpg

Here is the final pictures of the neck seal.

PXL_20220919_025716779.jpg

PXL_20220919_025520394.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20220919_025618075~2.jpg

And here is it tucked into the shirt, to give an idea of what it will look like when I wear it for the armor.

PXL_20220919_025742854.jpg

PXL_20220919_025739879.jpg

Also to note, a lot of my stitches look really bad, because my sewing machine is half broken and mistimed

I love these new style of neckseals, definitely a more sleak design and you aren't forced to wear a balaclava

The second version looks so good!!!! After wearing mine a couple weeks ago I've been planning a second version as well, and I really like that you added a liner for yours! Looks like it gives it a good structure! Does the doubled up fabric and the fact that it's part rubberized make it hot to wear?

Seriously considering one of these just because it looks so much better than a balaclava.
Great set of instructions!

I saw this posted on Facebook the other day and was looking for more info, glad I found it! I’m just curious if you’ve had any success on it staying on without the ear loops. I personally have big and sensitive ears and those loops would end me! Lol I know a balaclava would be snug but super hot and uncomfortable, maybe a dual material thing that’s more perforated on top could suffice. Sorry, rambling! Looks great!

I saw this posted on Facebook the other day and was looking for more info, glad I found it! I’m just curious if you’ve had any success on it staying on without the ear loops. I personally have big and sensitive ears and those loops would end me! Lol I know a balaclava would be snug but super hot and uncomfortable, maybe a dual material thing that’s more perforated on top could suffice. Sorry, rambling! Looks great!
I figured I'd chime in with what I did, because I also cannot stand stuff pulling on my ears, it instantly gives me a headache. If you add material above the ears to meet on top of your head with Velcro (sort of like a handle shape?) you can keep all the tension in the Velcro and it won't be pulling down on your ears if you make the ear holes big enough! Hopefully that makes sense. I had no issue with my ears doing it this way!

I figured I'd chime in with what I did, because I also cannot stand stuff pulling on my ears, it instantly gives me a headache. If you add material above the ears to meet on top of your head with Velcro (sort of like a handle shape?) you can keep all the tension in the Velcro and it won't be pulling down on your ears if you make the ear holes big enough! Hopefully that makes sense. I had no issue with my ears doing it this way!
That 100% makes sense and sounds super simple, glad I’m not the only one with sensitive ears!

I'm also in the big ear club and thought us big ear folk could mod it so rather than a hole we make it U shaped and run either elastic or Velcro straps like head gear for those that had braces at a younger age. All in all fantastic creation love the attention to detail and will surely be making one as well.

The second version looks so good!!!! After wearing mine a couple weeks ago I've been planning a second version as well, and I really like that you added a liner for yours! Looks like it gives it a good structure! Does the doubled up fabric and the fact that it's part rubberized make it hot to wear?
Not that I noticed. The spandex works as a moisture wicking liner on the inside. And the biggest thing with the liner, is it had much more structure when I did a straight stitch across the top and bottom, to force the inside and outside to lay flat against each other.

I recently got some P99 dust masks and they essentially do that exact thing! There's a stretch elastic band that comes in the box with a clip on the side that you can attach over the section where your ears sit!
(Image from product description)
1663958395072.png

So I find I keep making these one off posts, sharing the different little things I've been working on, and today is no exception. I finished the Version two of my Spartan neck seal! These were inspired by KitKatGoose , and I had made the patterns from there.

So I'll start at the beginning, with version one. Ill gloss over the process, because it was basically the exact same as V2. Here was the first iteration.
View attachment 323372
View attachment 323367View attachment 323368

So after wearing this at ECCC, I decided I wanted to make improvements.

Here are the new things I needed:
- needed to be easier to sew
- needed to curve the neck so it wouldn't scrunch, and would better cover my shoulders
- wanted more secure fastening
- wanted better cleanup of raw edges
- wanted shorter, less floppy ear straps.
- Higher back for more structural support of ear cups
- higher chin coverage.

With all these in mind, I started with patterns. The original patterns were created using seran wrap and duct tape around my neck, and Turing that into cardstock patterns that I slowly altered to get the new shapes I wanted

View attachment 323373

From there, I transferred my patterns to my fabric, with a specific seam allowance, that allowed me to just line up my presser foot to the outside edges.

View attachment 323383

From there, it was just a process of cutting out, and sewing all those parts together. I made an inside liner of 4-way stretch spandex, and an outside liner of a 4-way stretch rubberized fabric from joann's.
View attachment 323384

After I made both inside and outside, I joined them at the top and bottom edge. From here it was time for final clean up. I added Bias Tape to the ear cups, and to the rough edge on the back seams, cleaning everything up. I also did a straight stitch on the top and bottom where the inside and outside came together, to force them to lay flat together. The last step from there was to sew on two Velcro strips to attach to each other in the back. I used 2" wide Velcro, so I can adjust the fit as much as I need.

View attachment 323381
View attachment 323380
View attachment 323382

Here is the final pictures of the neck seal.

View attachment 323378
View attachment 323374
View attachment 323377

And here is it tucked into the shirt, to give an idea of what it will look like when I wear it for the armor.

View attachment 323375
View attachment 323376
How is this working out for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back