Portable Gravity Lift

Status
Not open for further replies.

FebruaryGemini

Can someone who knows Pepakura better than I do render/unfold the Portable Gravity Lift? Preferably in its undeployed state.
It's used as an AI storage device in RvB, and I really want a miniature version (~5cm) hanging from my key chain.
What I want to end up with gives me the impression of a lost wax casting with resin accents.

1625777859411.png

Last edited:
When you say render, do you mean you're looking for someone to get some high quality images of the grav lift, or do you want some unfolds for it? Or if you want a miniture version for a keychain, perhaps 3D printing is a better way to go.

When you say render, do you mean you're looking for someone to get some high quality images of the grav lift, or do you want some unfolds for it? Or if you want a miniture version for a keychain, perhaps 3D printing is a better way to go.
Well, I don't have access to a 3D printer. Unfold is probably the word I'm looking for.
What I want to end up with gives me the impression of a lost wax casting with resin accents.
I'm assuming that a paper model would help with getting the wax right?

What sort of scale would you be looking at for it? Unless you're wanting to paint it on, at a size suitable for a keyring you may lose a fair bit of the detail if you want to go the Pepakura route.
Also if you do need some 3D printing services, I'm sure plenty of people here would be willing to help.

I actually really like the idea of this, and while I'm very much an amateur at 3D modeling I wouldn't mind trying my hand at something like this. No promises on fast results (pulling an 11 day work week) but I might mess around with this after work, might be able to link an STL for printing if anything comes from this.

I actually really like the idea of this, and while I'm very much an amateur at 3D modeling I would mind trying my hand and something like this. No promises on fast results (pulling an 11 day work week) but I might mess around with this after work, might be able to link an STL for printing if anything comes from this.
Sweet! I'm glad I could inspire you, and I'm excited to see what you come up with.

I think 5cm long would be small enough. And I'm fine with losing detail, just so long as it's recognizable.
There is a low poly 3D version out there which I can toss in here for you. You'll want to get this 3D printed, as a paper model of that size would not be strong enough to survive being banged around on a keychain, even with a wax or resin coating. If you don't have a 3D printer, you could always toss up a request here or maybe check with your local library as they sometimes have usable 3D printers.

Attachments

• gravlift_equipment.obj
    148 KB · Views: 169
Some progress!
Screenshot (15).png
Lots of failed attempts last night but after an hour today its taking shape!
I'll be trying to add details and filling everything in soon.

I'm using the model kindly posted by Benton188 and some google images to shape it.

Crashed my poor little laptop trying to smooth the model in blender :/
Sure glad auto saves are a thing. Here is an unpolished version for anyone who would care to mess around with it.
I'll get back to it myself tomorrow.

Attachments

• Lifttest.stl
    144.8 KB · Views: 181
Screenshot (16).png
Added some small details. And while its not 100% accurate to the game model I think it would look nice as a small print.
I cleaned out the inner geometry and CURA seems to be playing nice when slicing it. I don't know how or am not able to smooth the outside as I've crashed my computer two more times trying. This STL file is likely as good as I'll be able to for now but if anyone modifies I'd love to see what can be done with this.

FebruaryGemini I think this was a really neat idea for a key chain / little charm! I want to hang a deployable cover charm like this from a weapon prop now! If you manage to get this printed go all in with the infill and maybe see if something like clear coating the outside will give it better resistance when it comes to being in a pocket or bag.

Attachments

• liftv4.stl
    97.5 KB · Views: 151
Spent a bit of time smoothing it out in Blender, and also removed the non-manifold geometry while I was it it. I learnt a really cool thing too so I'm glad I did it! Would have been super useful earlier today * cough cough * Purplehazey
I didn't add any details though... new community collab perhaps? I couldn't find many good reference pictures to judge the geometry so I hope it's OK.

Great base model S225, made it quite easy to work with!
GravLiftSmoothed.png

Attachments

• GravLiftSmoothed.stl
    1.8 MB · Views: 177
Spent a bit of time smoothing it out in Blender, and also removed the non-manifold geometry while I was it it. I learnt a really cool thing too so I'm glad I did it! Would have been super useful earlier today * cough cough * Purplehazey
I didn't add any details though... new community collab perhaps? I couldn't find many good reference pictures to judge the geometry so I hope it's OK.

Great base model S225, made it quite easy to work with!
View attachment 307684
What is this you speak of? Being unable to mirror?

Awesome model btw!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back