POST QUESTIONS IN HERE

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah ive been working on a pepakura helmet. I tihnk its dannifood design I forget but I have the jaw area and the lower back of the head and I cant fit my big head through the helmet hole but everything else seems to fit fine. I dont want to cut out the bottom of the helmet because then it seems to loose the look. Is there any way I could wear it without cutting out the bottom to slide my head through?

I was thinking about cutting the back half off and using latches and hinges to keep it together and I could slide my head in

Zama said:
yeah ive been working on a pepakura helmet. I tihnk its dannifood design I forget but I have the jaw area and the lower back of the head and I cant fit my big head through the helmet hole but everything else seems to fit fine. I dont want to cut out the bottom of the helmet because then it seems to loose the look. Is there any way I could wear it without cutting out the bottom to slide my head through?

I was thinking about cutting the back half off and using latches and hinges to keep it together and I could slide my head in

Ugh, you people and your fat heads. Yes you can split the helmet up into different sections, but you have to choose what parts to lop off. It's pretty basic, you lop off one side of the helmet and attach the male end to one side using whatever is necessary, (e.g. glue, thread, etc.) and then you stick the female part to the other side.

ALTHOUGH, you can cut the bottom of the helmet without loosing any of the "coolness." Look at the first page and search for the question "My head won't fit into my properly scaled helmet, what do I do?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Could anyone please post the Slyfo EOD helmet in its own pdo.

When I download the helmet I save it, but when I check the folder to open the file there is no name under the folder. :mad:

Thanks

Surfer

Deadandbroken said:
Where can I go to find materials for cheap

You can find EVERYTHING you need for this project at Wal-mart.

You could surf the net and buy from different place to save money here and there, but all in all, Wal-Mart is the one stop shop, and reasonably priced.

I think the brands differ depending on where you are, where you go, etc. When I went to Staples, they only had Xerox but the local art stores had other brands (I couldn't use them because they had floral designs and other fruity, non-Spartan like prints)

I think card stock is a generally accepted name but if it doesn't say that on the packaging, look for 90-110 lb (sometimes "#" is used instead of "lb" to represent pound) paper in the US, or 160-200 gsm elsewhere.

Shadow_Killer801 said:
With my ODST pepakura, it does not have numbering on it when I unfold. Is there a way to display numbering?

click the "123" button

-clownpuncher

clownpuncher said:
click the "123" button

-clownpuncher

OMG please remember to read the first post and look for your question, it is probably answered already.

In the first post you listed "Ventilator Tube". I googled it and couldn't find anything. I even tried eBay. Where do I get it from? I'm guessing the tube is to add the detail to the side of the helmet, near the cheek area?

I saw someone ask this question (Spartan_117 on page 3 of this post), but I didn't see an answer. The area in front of the gold visor, where it meets the helmet, approximately where your nose would be (it's black in color), what do I use to make that piece?

I'm guessing I can use hot glue to attache the pieces above?

I finished my armor for HALO-Ween, but I want to add details for next year.

I have two questions
#1- How do I mount the helmet padding into the helmet
#2- is there any other way to smooth out small crators in the bondo im sanding

xcxkeithxcx said:
I have two questions
#1- How do I mount the helmet padding into the helmet
#2- is there any other way to smooth out small crators in the bondo im sanding

hot glue works good for padding because it doesnt put out fumes that could get you high while you wear the helmet (unlike epoxy and superglue)

once you sand the bondo down on the whole helmet, do another skim coat of bondo. basically put a little on, and then apply pressure with your spreader so it only fills your "craters" and doesnt pile up on your smooth spots. then once you sand that, go back with spot putty for the pinholes.

Why is it when I tested a pep piece, and didn't even scale it, it turned out to small?? is it because of the paper?

Why can't I use A4 paper?

RegularGuy said:
In the first post you listed "Ventilator Tube". I googled it and couldn't find anything. I even tried eBay. Where do I get it from? I'm guessing the tube is to add the detail to the side of the helmet, near the cheek area?

I saw someone ask this question (Spartan_117 on page 3 of this post), but I didn't see an answer. The area in front of the gold visor, where it meets the helmet, approximately where your nose would be (it's black in color), what do I use to make that piece?

I'm guessing I can use hot glue to attache the pieces above?

I finished my armor for HALO-Ween, but I want to add details for next year.

The vent tubing can be found at any hardware store. You're actually supposed to shove wires/cord in it to bundle it up. If you get what I mean.

Ironcobra3000 said:
Why is it when I tested a pep piece, and didn't even scale it, it turned out to small?? is it because of the paper?

Why can't I use A4 paper?

Did you set it to A4 under Paper and Print Configuration in Pepakura Designer?

s-meister said:
The vent tubing can be found at any hardware store. You're actually supposed to shove wires/cord in it to bundle it up. If you get what I mean.

The actual name of the item that you are describing is "wiring loom". You should be able to find it virtually anywhere, or the easiest place would be Radio Shack.

Now, I have a question. Could someone tell me whether using expanding foam (I'm very aware of the potential for disaster) vs. 'glassing the insides of all the pieces? Is it cheaper or about the same price as 'glassing? Also, is there a tutorial somewhere on using expanding foam that I could view so I can determine whether this is a more viable option for me?

How do you add more depth (thickness) to the body armor (torso, legs, arms etc)? Minus adding more cardstock /folds, do you pile on Bondo or use some type of foam?

Greg said:
...Could someone tell me whether using expanding foam (I'm very aware of the potential for disaster) vs. 'glassing the insides of all the pieces? Is it cheaper or about the same price as 'glassing? Also, is there a tutorial somewhere on using expanding foam that I could view so I can determine whether this is a more viable option for me?
its cheaper but the difference is that itll be.. for want of a better word, 'softer'. but you can avoid that by resoning the outside or just using floor varnish on it. foam can have issues as you probibly know, ranging from shrinking to colapsing in on itself. if you want to do it ide recomend a layer or two of resin on the pep then apply the foam in sections about an A4 sheet in size at a time just to be sure. i dont think theres a tut on this but i could be wrong.

Skullcandy Girl said:
How do you add more depth (thickness) to the body armor (torso, legs, arms etc)? Minus adding more cardstock /folds, do you pile on Bondo or use some type of foam?
as far as i know people usuialy just use apolstry foam if anything... wait, is that what you mean? or do you mean for detailing? cuz most people use bondo for that but you can use spackle too.

flying_squirl said:
its cheaper but the difference is that itll be.. for want of a better word, 'softer'. but you can avoid that by resoning the outside or just using floor varnish on it. foam can have issues as you probibly know, ranging from shrinking to colapsing in on itself. if you want to do it ide recomend a layer or two of resin on the pep then apply the foam in sections about an A4 sheet in size at a time just to be sure. i dont think theres a tut on this but i could be wrong.
as far as i know people usuialy just use apolstry foam if anything... wait, is that what you mean? or do you mean for detailing? cuz most people use bondo for that but you can use spackle too.

That sort of answers it, it seems the pepkura armor, even after some resin and fiberglass is more like a shell, I was wondering what people would/have used to make it thicker. I'm not looking to do any stunt stuff in it, I guess it's more for visual aesthetics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back