Progress At Last! Kind Of :$

Status
Not open for further replies.
well its not done in my opinion till, till i can walk past it and not think "what else can i do with it", stupid quest for perfection, or close to it...but thanx for the props ...and trial by fire is one of the best ways to learn..so far it doesnt look like you burned yourself

adventSpartanMatrix said:
i really hope i can do some more work on my helm as your way ahead of me on the armour i only have one pep finished helm and a set of handplates on order from the us (gave up on them after 6 attempts

But the handplates are really easy?! i'm hoping tomorrow provides good weather though i want to get more done :D

Humboldt_spartan said:
well its not done in my opinion till, till i can walk past it and not think "what else can i do with it", stupid quest for perfection, or close to it...but thanx for the props ...and trial by fire is one of the best ways to learn..so far it doesnt look like you burned yourself

Thankfully the stuff i'm using is easy sand so it shoud come off easy regardless, i'm still trying to work out how to get it in to the recessed areas in such a way as to keep the shape

Last edited by a moderator:
SpartanG said:
But the handplates are really easy?! i'm hoping tomorrow provides good weather though i want to get more done :D
Thankfully the stuff i'm using is easy sand so it shoud come off easy regardless, i'm still trying to work out how to get it in to the recessed areas in such a way as to keep the shape

ive been having problems with the whole indent bits
i just cant get them right

adventSpartanMatrix said:
ive been having problems with the whole indent bits
i just cant get them right

its a big impediment right now! but i'll work it out! if you get there 1st, feel free to clue me in!

hands down, the easiest thing to scale, as i said on your question thread, i took a tape measure to my combat boots soles then added half a centimeter

SpartanG said:
hands down, the easiest thing to scale, as i said on your question thread, i took a tape measure to my combat boots soles then added half a centimeter

oh yeah stupid me forgot about that
(my moment of stupidity there)

lol, its ok, we all have days like that! i have whole weeks like it, i call them kinder egg moments, blonde on the inside brunette on the outside!

mc hammer time said:
^hahaha thats pretty good
I did basically the same thing for my boots, but my size 13 feet made them HUGE lol

you know what they say about men with big feet..........they have a pain in the arse getting shoes

but seriously, it took one failed attempt for me to stop and think... hang on! i'll just measure my boots!

ya hahaha...did you measure the height of the boots or the length? I did it by the length and it fits my combat boots perfectly

mc hammer time said:
ya hahaha...did you measure the height of the boots or the length? I did it by the length and it fits my combat boots perfectly

i went with the length, from heel to tip, and added .5cm to be safe, and for when i add fibreglass to the inside and padding, so as to not scuff the leather...i like my boots, i use them for paintballing

ok, so more resining was done today, a second thicker coat on the helmet, i'm going to glass it tomorrow

myarmourwip059.jpg

myarmourwip058.jpg

myarmourwip060.jpg

i also started on my boots my greaves and my overexploited north sea/atlantic ocean fish (long night in work, brain is closing on epic fail, so expect more bad jokes if i don't stop typing soon!

boot heels

myarmourwip057.jpg

all the rest!

myarmourwip056.jpg

washing lines FTW when it comes to resin curing!

me sleep now, night night, see you all in 8 hrs!

++edit, proof of exhaustion, i nearly posted the same helmet pic 3 times instead of other armour parts!++

Looking good, I better watch it, you might beat me done...

I've been adding a coat of resin on the inside before I apply any fiberglass though, that slows me down a little.

Sir Blood said:
Looking good, I better watch it, you might beat me done...

I've been adding a coat of resin on the inside before I apply any fiberglass though, that slows me down a little.

thankyou very much everyone, but sir blood, considering how many bits you have finished already, i can safely say, you have me beat :p

why have you been adding a layer of resin on the inside, if you dont mind me asking...

SpartanG said:
why have you been adding a layer of resin on the inside, if you dont mind me asking...

Makes it easier when it comes time to sand them down. You have further to sand before you get through the card stock. Incase you have a small air bubble you have more resin to sand through before you hit it. Areas I know I am going to sand down a lot, I let the resin pool up there so I don't have to apply tons of filler.

I've also found that the fiberglass seems to stay in place better when I am applying it onto resin vs bare card stock... results are fewer air pockets. I choose to use small dabs of hot glue vs super glue to hold the figerglass into place though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back