Progress At Last! Kind Of :$

Status
Not open for further replies.

brychang

Jr Member
Hi, as a new recruit, i've been itching to get advice and reccomendations from you guys. Ive been stalking through the forum since the summertime, and playing around with pep files since then, but now i am nearly ready to start actually working on my armour, although i have to split my time with university and sailing :mad:

so here we go, and ignore the duvet covers, i'm storing the pepped parts in my spare room till i get round to glassing them.

1st things 1st, is my helmet too big? the problem is i have an abnormally large head, so the few testers i did that were smaller wouldnt go over my ears.

myarmourwip002.jpg

so if it is too big, can you reccomend a way i can make a smaller on fit, maybe making it 2 piece, or selectively carving out bits once its been reinforced?

this is how it looks up close

myarmourwip025.jpg

myarmourwip026.jpg

myarmourwip027.jpg

myarmourwip028.jpg

(also if you see any charring on my sculpts, its because i tend to use my zippo to re melt and reset missaligned edges)

My chest (a little warped, i may rebuild it with supports, i forgot to print them, along with a few other sheets i think!...advice welcome)

myarmourwip003.jpg

myarmourwip004.jpg

The upper arms, (I'm actually pretty pleased with these, after the 6 attempts i had to make to get the right size!)

myarmourwip011.jpg

myarmourwip012.jpg

myarmourwip013.jpg

The gauntlets, also pretty pleased with

myarmourwip014.jpg

myarmourwip015.jpg

myarmourwip016.jpg

Handplates (I had a load of scrag ends of glue sticks and melted them into the back in an extension of the glue stick method)

myarmourwip030.jpg

myarmourwip031.jpg

myarmourwip032.jpg

The thighs (same thing as the chest piece i forget to print out the supports and they've warped, also i initially taped them when i ran out of glue sticks, then sliced the tape and glued it afterwards)

myarmourwip020.jpg

myarmourwip022.jpg

myarmourwip024.jpg

The shins.....if i never have to fold another shin again, i will be a happy perky young man!

myarmourwip017.jpg

myarmourwip018.jpg

myarmourwip019.jpg

Boots, remarkably easily done, i'm planning on putting a pair combat boots in there, then using expanding foam or something to fill out the holes once its glassed etc :D

myarmourwip008.jpg

myarmourwip009.jpg

myarmourwip010.jpg

And my Assault Rifle, although i'm currently thinking of scrapping pepping the weapons and making them from wood, like a couple of guys on here are doing, i think it'll give them the right weight.

myarmourwip005.jpg

myarmourwip006.jpg

myarmourwip007.jpg

and i'm curretly (as in, while i'm typing this) finishing off folding my Cod Piece (sounds seedier than it did in my head), but i'm planning on wearing this alot, and i'm trying to work out if i fibreglass/bondo it i will be able to sit in it. so maybe high density foam may be more of a winner there?

anyway, any criticsm/advice you have is more than welcome, i wont be glassing these for a little while, the only place i can do it is my garage, and in the uk right now the weather is bloody cold and raining nearly non stop, so curing time will be a total pain in the ass!

holy crap man you been busy!!! my only thing is the helmet looks a lil huge on you ..but you put it together quit nicely....im a fan of the no numbers method

yea i agree the helmet looks big just scale it down by about 2-3 inches or build a tester if you dont want to build it again and have it not fit

box o crayons said:
yea i agree the helmet looks big just scale it down by about 2-3 inches or build a tester if you dont want to build it again and have it not fit

thats just it, the testers would fit over my jug like ears! looks like i am going to have to find a way of making it in 2 parts bad times

Humboldt_spartan said:
holy crap man you been busy!!! my only thing is the helmet looks a lil huge on you ..but you put it together quit nicely....im a fan of the no numbers method

the no numbers method?! forgive me, i'm a noob, whats that when its at home?

+++edit++++ scratch that, i just read madman in a box's topic and got what you meant, and i did use numbers, i'm too much of a coward not to!

Last edited by a moderator:
SpartanG said:
thats just it, the testers would fit over my jug like ears! looks like i am going to have to find a way of making it in 2 parts bad times
the no numbers method?! forgive me, i'm a noob, whats that when its at home?

+++edit++++ scratch that, i just read madman in a box's topic and got what you meant, and i did use numbers, i'm too much of a coward not to!

u did what happened to them

godsarmor said:
u did what happened to them

they are really feint gray, and i think the flash on my camera washed them out when i took the pics

ohhhhhh.....i thought the numbers werent on there......trippy about the flash thing....but i stand by my previous staments

Humboldt_spartan said:
ohhhhhh.....i thought the numbers werent on there......trippy about the flash thing....but i stand by my previous staments

yeah, i tried the chest plate on with it too, i looked like a human bobble head!

also, i really am looking for ideas with the crotch plate

A) i'm tihnking of making the side compartments actually accessible/useable (i plan on wearing this out, it would be nice to have somewhere to put my wallet/keys/camer/phone

:cool: i want to sot down in it, so making the ass plate out of high density foam? good plan or no?

Wow dude it must have taken a lot of patience to pep everything first! Everything looks fantastic! :eek: The helm is just a tad too big. I would scale it down 10 - 15% And go from there. As far as not fitting goes, your best bet is to cut off as much neck material as you need until it will fit. There's a lot of unnecessary paper on the sides of the neck of that paticular helm that you can simply trim right off. But good luck with reinforcing though! ;) It ought to be interesting to see a full suit being fiberglassed at once, instead of in parts.

HeavyGunner said:
Wow dude it must have taken a lot of patience to pep everything first! Everything looks fantastic! :eek: The helm is just a tad too big. I would scale it down 10 - 15% And go from there. As far as not fitting goes, your best bet is to cut off as much neck material as you need until it will fit. There's a lot of unnecessary paper on the sides of the neck of that paticular helm that you can simply trim right off. But good luck with reinforcing though! ;) It ought to be interesting to see a full suit being fiberglassed at once, instead of in parts.

well, i figured it would work out the most efficiently to do the fibreglassing that way, i am planning on roping in my brother to help me preoduction line it, so while one piece cures, another can be started etc i work with resin alot repairing my sailing boat, so i'm pretty used to the work! and i have a load of stuff on hand anyway!

Sounds like you have the same kind of problem that I have... I have a bit of a large head also. I tried a smaller helmet but I couldn't get it over my head.

Mine looks about the same size as yours. I had to dramatically increase the bottom hole for it to 'fit'

Here is a picture of mine you can use for reference if you want to, still have a ways to go to finish it... 'Hunter Green' primary

greenprimary.jpg

cheers sir blood, but mine really is quite a bit bigger than it should be, so i'm working on one at the scale it was already set at, and trim the edges down, and i'm thinking either dark gray, or drab olive

actually, after I look at it now, I could of sworn mine was a LOT larger before I fiberglassed and resined it.

You really are better off scaling yours down.

Mine is 26.4 cm wide
according to pep scale display

i found with the rifle its hard to glue it together what with it being a totally self contained sculpt with no gaping holes like the helmet to get your glue gun in and align everything right, so theres a slight bend in it, thats why i'm going for the making it from wooden slices thing!

++edit++ thanks for the sizing advice sir blood, i did a tester at the saize you reccomended, and it fits prefectly!

and heres my cod piece (or space diaper) once its glassed 'im going to cut it apart a la bluerealms cod so it fits better. as we speak i'm re doing my chest plate but i have work and birthdays this weekend, so it may take me till mid week to get it done...also, i have thehelmet size right now, thanks for the assistance there guys and i've had my minions run out and get me a fibreglass kit or two, so glassing can commence soon :D so with out further ado

myarmourwip033.jpg

myarmourwip034.jpg

(the scorch mark is from where i had to re align some of the plates, i was watching tropic thuder while i was doing the gluing and laughed so hard at the "what do you mean 'you people' line i forgot i'd applied glue!)

myarmourwip035.jpg

myarmourwip036.jpg

Nice work! All your pep is looking very well-put-together. And, awsome Idea about having compartments as 'pockets'. I was thinking about doing the same thing on the inside of the chestpeice, but wasnt sure how to make the compartments accesible when it was on. If you watch the game, he seemingly pulls ammow out from the sides of it.

Just by looking at it next to your hand, your codpeice seems a bit big. Any pictures of your whole suit layed out? We could give you pointers on the overall scale, in relation to itself. But yeah, keep up the good work! Cant wait to see it with fiberglass on it!

Balthezar Arith said:
Nice work! All your pep is looking very well-put-together. And, awsome Idea about having compartments as 'pockets'. I was thinking about doing the same thing on the inside of the chestpeice, but wasnt sure how to make the compartments accesible when it was on. If you watch the game, he seemingly pulls ammow out from the sides of it.

Just by looking at it next to your hand, your codpeice seems a bit big. Any pictures of your whole suit layed out? We could give you pointers on the overall scale, in relation to itself. But yeah, keep up the good work! Cant wait to see it with fiberglass on it!

the cod is actually a little too small, but thats ok, i'm planning on stringing it on a webbing belt and adjusting it, i'm 6'1/6'2

i'll do a full suit layout tomorrow, but i'm just in from work tonight and my eyes are bleeding from being awake for so long (its 2 am here....bar work is teh lamez but the tips are paying for my costume :p ) i've scaled it all similarly (some of the peps are from different users...but i've done my best to keep some kind of consistency.

your work however is bloody great though, i'm keen to see how it works out!

actually, something that would be very useful is a closable compartment/pocket on the inside of the chest armor. If you wear it to a convention having your roomkey or wallet in an easier to access spot, or even a cell phone...

Hint, velcro will stick like superglue to smooth, dried resin, but it doesn't stick very well once its painted...

Best of luck to you on the resin and bondo process.

thanks for the heads up, i'm going to rivet/screw the webbing on though, one think i do with my builds is make them to last, the greaves and gauntlets i made for my 300 costume actually have hardened steel strips running through them to reinforce them (a university with a friendly well stocked design and technology department is a blessing :p)

and yeah the pocket thing was a problem with my 300 costume...i had the genius udea of puttin only one pocket in it...5 points to the person who can guess where :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back