Progress At Last! Kind Of :$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wowzzz! Somebody has been working hard! Great work so far on the whole costume! Good to see that you are working on getting the most frustrating part finished first!

What did you scale you're first and second body too? Im making Hayabusa armour, and I want to get the Body's scale right, before Im finished the body and I find out its to small or too big.

Once again, AWESOME work so far!

EDIT: What spray adhesive are you using?

CHEERS!

Lets just get this straight, we all agree THAT IS AWESOME. I have the same neck hole vs. head thing also. Just trim away as much as you need after you make the helm a bit smaller. Damn! I hope mine looks that good! keep up the good work!

Last edited by a moderator:
Xtreme TACTICS 101 said:
Wowzzz! Somebody has been working hard! Great work so far on the whole costume! Good to see that you are working on getting the most frustrating part finished first!

What did you scale you're first and second body too? Im making Hayabusa armour, and I want to get the Body's scale right, before Im finished the body and I find out its to small or too big.

Once again, AWESOME work so far!

EDIT: What spray adhesive are you using?

CHEERS!

i am using stikatak vinyl spray adhesive, that we used to re stik the lino inout kitchen with. its plasticiser resistant you know!

myarmourwip065.jpg

it is really good though!and the nozzle is shaped so it sprays a fan of adhesive, which makes applicaqtion REALLY easy! i'm just waiting to see how it reacts with the epoxy in the morning!

Spartan 129 said:
Lets just get this straight, we all agree THAT IS AWESOME. I have the same neck hole vs. head thing also. Just trim away as much as you need after you make the helm a bit smaller. Damn! I hope mine looks that good! keep up the good work!

i got the size ok in the end, and my ears can just fit in! thankyou for the compliments, but its still early days yet!

here is the progress i've made in sticking the glass on (i've been using fg cloth for the outside, i'm going to put matting on the inside to really strengthen the helmet)

myarmourwip064.jpg

myarmourwip061.jpg

myarmourwip062.jpg

myarmourwip063.jpg

i've not done some of the bits yet, but thats because i was running late for work, and had to leave it as it was, i'll finish it in the morning, once again though, this spartan is tired! i made a buttload in tips though, so i am also a happy spartan!

what can i say i'm a risk taker, this is the result so far

myarmourwip066.jpg

myarmourwip067.jpg

myarmourwip068.jpg

myarmourwip069.jpg

i'm aware that its lumpier than sloth from the goonies right now, but thats nothing a good sanding wont help!

i'm going to do the inside with fg matting tomorrow

hmmm.for glassing the outside you dont look like you've lost alot of details.....are you planning on paint balling in this, or head butting walls.....cause im sure it would be strong enough after this lolz....what type of matting are you using btw?is it better than fiberglass?

Humboldt_spartan said:
hmmm.for glassing the outside you dont look like you've lost alot of details.....are you planning on paint balling in this, or head butting walls.....cause im sure it would be strong enough after this lolz....what type of matting are you using btw?is it better than fiberglass?

just regular fiberglass matt, actually for the outer skin of the helmet, its fiberglass tissue. if i could recommend you avoided anything in you life, even if i could recommend you avoided infectious diseases, i'd still recomend you avoided fb tissue more at the moment, its bloody annoying to work with! it keeps getting caught on the bristles of my brush as I am painting the resin on to it. find a decent fg cloth to work with, as i'm sure you probably have! and i'm not planning on anything spectacular, i just know how clumsy i am, and i dont want to put all this effort in and then screw it up with a "whoopsie"

as for keeping detail, i tried my best at keeping it, by, any time i saw a bubble forming, i had at it with my knife to stop the bubbling and allow the fg to sit on the sculpt better and allow the air or pooling resin underneath to get out! it will need sanding and dremelling though, lots of sanding and dremmeling

and it is great to have all your feed back, it is a real bonus in this kind of hobby to have it, as it makes me keener to not dissapoint!

righ, well, i broke out my mouse sander today and started de lumping my helmet, there were more bubbles than i 1st thought, but they are going to be filled soon enough! heres the show so far (it got really freaking cold, so i gave up and came in!)

myarmourwip070.jpg

myarmourwip071.jpg

myarmourwip072.jpg

myarmourwip073.jpg

Jessmo said:
Never see anyone fiberglass the outside of the helmet...

That's because it loses definition on the helm something rotten.

Kudos to the build, SG, but I have to say that glassing on the outside is, in the long run, a pretty bad idea - even if you plan to sand and filler over it. Still, if you can make it work, I'll eat my hat.

And where, where, WHERE, did you manage to get SUNLIGHT from? In WALES of all places? I'm stuck in Derby and all we've had for a week solid is cloud cover! How is this fair?

:p

so far its not worked out too bad, i'm going to have at it again tomorrow with the mouse, then my dremmel to clean out the details, a little more resin over th bubble holes and it shopuld be good to go, with only a tiny bit of bondo.

as for sunlight in wales, the trick, is to sacrifice a chicken every morning :D

mind you today, it was overcast here too (i woke up too late to make the sacrifice :( bad times!)

and i like a challenge :D

SpartanG said:
so far its not worked out too bad, i'm going to have at it again tomorrow with the mouse, then my dremmel to clean out the details, a little more resin over th bubble holes and it shopuld be good to go, with only a tiny bit of bondo.

as for sunlight in wales, the trick, is to sacrifice a chicken every morning :D

mind you today, it was overcast here too (i woke up too late to make the sacrifice :( bad times!)
and i like a challenge :D

I hate the fact that u have time for armour making (not to meantion sacrificing chickens(do u have a roast chicken later on that day?))

adventSpartanMatrix said:
I hate the fact that u have time for armour making (not to meantion sacrificing chickens(do u have a roast chicken later on that day?))

hate not the player, hate the game :p and i had a chicken pasta bake with the remains, i mean, whats the point of a sacrifice if you arent going to eat it! thats what the aztecs say :p

ok so new work for today... i finished sanding out the detail on the helm, and despite what the doom sayers predicted, its so far so good, i'm really happy with it so far, there are a lot of holes to fill...thats what im' doing now :D

myarmourwip074.jpg

myarmourwip075.jpg

myarmourwip076.jpg

i also sanded the bondo down that i'd put on the one hand plate as a tester...i know its not perfect, and i need to go back over it, but i'm genuinely happy with is so far, i can see how to sort it out too.

myarmourwip076.jpg

i'd have done more today, but, and im' not sure if you can hear it where you are...but the pub is calling! w0000!!!! to the bar :p

myarmourwip076.jpg

ok, well i'm off on holiday tomorrow, so no new work for a week, so this is my last work update for a while

sanded the bondo off my helmet, its not great, but its a start, i think crucible should start finding some nice hat recipies ;)

myarmourwip078.jpg

myarmourwip079.jpg

myarmourwip080.jpg

take care all, and i shall see you soon!

well, its been a while, life managed to interrupt my work! but with the lovely weather we are having in the uk, i managed to get a little more work dont, i started with polishing my helmet ;) (sorry about the photos and their quality, my camera has gone missing, so i'm using my camera phone!)

myarmourwip004-1.jpg

myarmourwip012-1.jpg

myarmourwip008-1.jpg

Copyofmyarmourwip001.jpg

Copyofmyarmourwip005.jpg

and i have managed to widen the base enough to fit it on my massive head, and not tear off my equally big ears!

myarmourwip009-1.jpg

theres more sanding and filling to be done, but spraying a base coat on it has helped me see where the work needs doing! and despite one members poo-pooing of my fg'ing on the outside (he seems to know alot for someone who hasn't actually done anything significant on here!), its turned out really well i think, i just need to work on its symmetry too.

i've also started on my shins, one was an epic fail (it got knocked over by my dog, and the glass mat slipped...)

myarmourwip007-1.jpg

myarmourwip011-1.jpg

but the other shin worked out really well, even though the 1st photo looks like its about to go to a flashback!

myarmourwip013-1.jpg

myarmourwip002-1.jpg

myarmourwip006-1.jpg

three was a little warping, but not of the overall shape, just where the calf "muscle" bit of the greave bulges out its a little more concave than convex, filler should sort that though!

and i've started glassing my right boot

myarmourwip003-1.jpg

myarmourwip010-1.jpg

myarmourwip014-1.jpg

and with the weather set to be good tomorrow too, i'm feeling confident about getting more done :D

also, i have to say, i've been testing the jemsonite stuff that xrobots its selling (that he is also using for his iron man suit) and its actually really great! easy to use, and actually has a really pleasent smell, unlike epoxy! it works out cheaper too, he's genuinely not asked me to say any of this either, i'm just really pleased with the results of it!

so, what do you think of the show so far?

ew nice a little bit of spotting putty and some more sanding and that helm will be done
i think someone needs to get some condiments ready
pity about the shin dogs like knocking over projects latly
flash back time

yeah, next time he does it he gets put down! well, maybe not, but no scooby snacks anytime soon at least, i'd have hit it with more sanding and putty, but the stupid uk closes on eater day, so i cant get any more sanding papers or putty! as you know, since you are from the uk, and i'm realising how redundant that statement was! once thats done, its just visors and electronics to do, i'm getting excited!

and yes, how do you take your hat? sauteed, roasted or grilled?

i was wondering where you went , but glad to see your back ,helm looks good , just looks like you need some more detailing and smoothing , but i think it looks promising just keep sanding away ..and the boots look good i can tell your getting better at this ,way to go!

tell me about it, i'm using a mouse sander to do it, and i swear i'm getting white finger from all the vibration! although if you sit the helmet on your lap when your sanding, the vibrations are quite rewarding ;)

anyway enough of that, i had to stop sanding where i did as i had no more corse grade sandpaper, or spot putty to fill my holes, but as i say, tomorrow is another day :D another day, where shops are open, stupid godfearing country (not a rant at religion, just a rant at the uk's shop lisencing laws!)

as for getting better, well, thats debateable! more proficient maybe!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back