Project Mini Chief

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow that's really come out well. Heavy going to be finished assembly by end of weekend though. But I suppose I'm a bit further through mine than you, being in UK

Also working on thighs, but CE...

I had mistakenly posted this in the wrong thread. It was in my ODST build... :confused:
UPDATE:
Just a small one. Last weekend I had hoped to finish both forearms and shoulders. That didn't happen. Heh.
Been very busy this week with life so not much was done. Got the forearms assembled. I had to customize them a little when I realised that the writs were gonna be teeny tiny mainly due to the design and half inch foam.
20170917_165409.jpg

With the pic above, if I had proceeded to close it up my son's hand s would not fit through. Solution: cut out som wedges and to make the opening wider.
20170917_170338.jpg

Here it is with the wedges added and closed up. Now the opening are wide enough.
20170917_165445.jpg

Now the other thing I have to fix is the upper part of the forearm. The way they are designed has a lot of space on the upper part. Will have to make a cuff or just extra foam on the inside to fit my son's super skinny pipe cleaner arms.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aya
Hey PaiganBoi :D Thought I would drop by and pay your threads a visit since you frequent mine quite abit :p I am happy with what I see here ;) (May i suggest a camo paint job? xD ) some really nice looking foam work, might have to steal some of those ideas for my own.......I will try to remember to give you credit when I do it haha.

Nah looks really awesome, but is excited to see you finish your own ODST so i can compare it with mine and feel disappointed xD

Look forward to seeing more progress on your threads and mine :)

<3
- JD

JudgementDay, welcome to the madness that are my threads.
Thank you. It's good to hear that you are liking what you see in my builds and that it gives you ideas that you can use on your own build. If it inspires or gives you motivation to make your build even better (better than mine even) then I've done my job.
I will continue stalk... Ahem.... Watching your thread. I enjoy watching your progress.

JudgementDay, welcome to the madness that are my threads.
Thank you. It's good to hear that you are liking what you see in my builds and that it gives you ideas that you can use on your own build. If it inspires or gives you motivation to make your build even better (better than mine even) then I've done my job.
I will continue stalk... Ahem.... Watching your thread. I enjoy watching your progress.

I have a few updates coming soon!
And am in need of some advice with a few things that I believe that you can weigh in on :) and such I hope to save you some trouble with your ODST that I have encountered.

- JD

UPDATE:
Well... Got the upper arm/shoulders done. It need some fixing though. There was a lot of adding extra bits to get it to assemble properly. I had to do this mainly cuz my son's arms are so skinny. The angles on the pauldrons are not right.
20170922_224230.jpg

As well, I was able to print and cut out the templates for the chest. Then trace and cut out all my foam for it as well. Bonus for me is that I was able to start assembly as well. :lol::lol::lol:
20170924_212808.jpg

20170924_215229.jpg
20170924_215249.jpg
20170924_221223.jpg

Reactions: Aya
Dang you have some skill with the foam. Me not so much this was my attempt at foam haha.
20170727_202357.jpg

Dang you have some skill with the foam. Me not so much this was my attempt at foam haha.
View attachment 249693
Yeah. Foam is not easy to work with when your templates are originally meant to be used for Pep.
There is a crap tonne of guessing and comparing to the file to make sure if you just need to curve the foam or add bevels to bend it and add angles.
Plus with the MK VI files for this build, its not highly detailed so, I have to go back and add or cut out foam for the many details that are missing.

UPDATE :
Chest is nearing completion. One problem I have discovered. The hole for my son's head to fit through... Looks like it's too small. I will have to leave out a few pieces from the neck area and widen it a little bit. Still, it's looking pretty cool. I'm getting excited. Once this is part is done the helmet is next!
20170927_211924.jpg
20170927_211941.jpg
20170927_211959.jpg

UPDATE:
Ugh.... Why am I posting at 5:45 in the morning... Oh yeah... I have to go to work...
Yes, yes Dirtdives 'aww poor baby' :D:D
Anyways. Chest is done. Have to add some details. Also, as I suspected the hole for the head is too small. I will have to split the armour in half and have it connect with magnets. Sigh. :(
On the good side it means that I just have one piece to build and then it's on to fit and finish and paint.
20170928_213648.jpg
20170928_213702.jpg
20170928_214246.jpg

Looking fantastic.

I think most H3 Chest pieces have to be split, mine did. That neck hole
Is just too small.

UPDATE:
assembly of three helmet has started. I have complained about this before and I am saying it again. I wish these had instructions. I have discovered that although these are foam files... This helmet is not very foam friendly. Bugger has been fighting me. After cutting everything out, I realised that using only 10mm foam was not going to work. I had cut at least have the parts in 6mm for things to start to fit. As well there is a lot of extra cutting in the form of bevels to make this fit. From what I have assembled, I am not too happy with. The a flesh are off and the profile of the helmet is wrong. It doesnt have the depth in the bowl that I would like. I will push on and see how I feel about it once it's all put together.
20171003_225831.jpg
20171003_225813.jpg
20171003_225800.jpg

That helmet is a pain in the arse. Lots of strange bevels and having to re-organize pieces...
Tell me about it. ugh. such a pain. Well... gonna finish it anyways. At this point I really don't want to start another one. Halloween is coming up fast and I still have to do a lot of work. Originally I wanted to used Flexi Paint to seal the foam and then hand paint everything.... but I may have to scrap that plan and use Plasti Dip and spray paint the base colour to save time.

Made a little more progress on the helmet. I managed to fix the shape of the top by warming up the foam with a heat gun and then holding it in a better shape while it cooled. It's looking much better now. There is still a little warp in the back. I may have to cut the piece out and put it back in. When I originally put it in, it was not centered properly.
20171005_202826.jpg
20171005_202817.jpg
20171005_202806.jpg

UPDATE:
The helmet! She be done! Boy was that a pain in the bum. So much unexpected work. Well it was a learning experience to say the least. I will end pectin the same hardships when it comes time to build my ODST helmet. I now have to fix the chest so it's wearable and then go back and gap fill and add the missing details on the parts. I will also do a full suit test fit to see what adjustments need to be made. Like adding some stuffing so it's not so loose on my son's skinny little frame. Then I am on to sealing and paint.

20171007_221918.jpg
20171007_221931.jpg

Seen here is the bucket with the visor material I have. One problem I think I will have is getting the right shape with the visor. I don't think I can get that rounded/dome like shape that it has.
20171008_012700.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back