Project Mini Chief

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks great. Not pick apart your work :-( (sorry) just seems on the helmet the jaw could angle up a bit more. Like the top of the jaw piece should bout level with his nose. Regardless your foam work is phenomenal
You are correct. I noticed the same thing. Looks like the helmet is gonna need some surgery.

I'm not sure if's the calendar in the background throwing perspective off but there looks like there's a slight list in the helmet caused by one side being pulled to the chin right side. Is there any tension in the foam?

I'm not sure if's the calendar in the background throwing perspective off but there looks like there's a slight list in the helmet caused by one side being pulled to the chin right side. Is there any tension in the foam?
There is a list. The part at the bottom of the helmet was put in poorly. I placed it unevenly and ended pulling on one end to get it to fit. I can either cut the whole piece out and put it back in properly or make a cut in the middle to release the tension and add a spacer to fill in the gap.

Alrighty. Finally in the sealing stage. This time I used Rustolium Flexi Dip instead of Plasti Dip. It was selling for half the price! I got much better results this time. It didn't come all gloomy and sprayed much more evenly. I put 3 coats and it looks sweet. Tomorrow I will finished off the helmet, chest and space diaper.
20171016_183714.jpg

I will start painting these parts while I seal the others.

PaiganBoi....wow dude!!!!! Just awesome man!!!! Looks great. Almost home.......Love the layered look on the thigh pieces. Really fantastic work.

I like it. Actually prefer it over the Plasti Dip... *pause to get lynched by Plasti Dip users*... Even though the spray is finer, it comes out more evenly and less splotchy.

Agreed, I've never lost any detail to a pool of goo like with PlastiDip. Less prone to runs and drips, less orange peel, cheaper. I find that I have to do 4-5 layers for a good coat though.

Another brand you might look in to is Flex-seal. It's advertised on those info-mercials......Guys take an aluminum rowboat, cuts out the bottom and installs a screen mesh window which he sprays w/ the Flex-seal and put the boat in water which he is sitting in as well.....and doesn't sink. I won't go that far but the stuff is pretty durable and sprays on smoothly. Home Depot came out w/ a generic version of it which costs less as well.....Its just called Flex-spray or something like that....so if you have a HD near you, check it out.

Another brand you might look in to is Flex-seal. It's advertised on those info-mercials......Guys take an aluminum rowboat, cuts out the bottom and installs a screen mesh window which he sprays w/ the Flex-seal and put the boat in water which he is sitting in as well.....and doesn't sink. I won't go that far but the stuff is pretty durable and sprays on smoothly. Home Depot came out w/ a generic version of it which costs less as well.....Its just called Flex-spray or something like that....so if you have a HD near you, check it out.

THAT'S A LOT OF DAMAGE

UPDATE:
today was the day to start painting. Since I don't have the budget to get spray paint I am hand painting everything. For this I enlisted the wife to help speed up the process. I painted the hand plates first to see how many coats of paint would be needed to get the desired look... The magic number is 4.
20171017_211709.jpg

As you can see... My son has decided he wants to be part of the Blues.
I am painting the armour closer to the way Master Chief looks like in the campaign rather than the solid blue of MP matches. Hence the parts that are left black.
I coat of paint down... 3 to go... Sigh.
20171018_205912.jpg
20171018_224636.jpg
20171018_225707.jpg

Great work man and the blue looks sweet. I bet your son will have a big smile on his face the whole night wearing this. I'm jealous I didn't get to finish my build this Halloween.

PaiganBoi wow!!! Dude, it looks killer. I could believe that it takes 4 layers to get a quality look....the more thin layers the better the look......

Great work man and the blue looks sweet. I bet your son will have a big smile on his face the whole night wearing this. I'm jealous I didn't get to finish my build this Halloween.
Thanks man. Sorry to hear that you won't be able to finish in time. You still have over a week left. Who knows. A miracle can happen and you finish?

PaiganBoi wow!!! Dude, it looks killer. I could believe that it takes 4 layers to get a quality look....the more thin layers the better the look......
Thank you sir. Painting all these parts by hand is no joke. I think I had and equal amount of paint on my hands and arms by the end of the night.

Last edited:
Thank you sir. Painting all these parts by hand is no joke. I think I had and equal amount of paint on my hands and arms by the end of the night.

It's not a good cosplay day until it looks like you had a knife fight with a rainbow or you've glued your hand to something.

Looking great PaiganBoi, the blue is nice!

I am doing my primer coat later this afternoon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back