Project Mini Chief

Discussion in 'Halo Costumes and Armor' started by PaiganBoi, Aug 7, 2017.

1. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi

Alrighty... I may be asking for a world of pain for this but, I might end up putting my ODST build on hold and starting another project starting in September. My 8 year old son has been watching me build my suit and is now interested in a suit of armour for himself and would like to have it for Halloween this year. So I jumped on Armorsmith and started to tinker with the H3 Mark VI for him. Just started this thread in advance. I would up load some screen pics for people to see and correct any scaling issues I might not have noticed but, it seems the jpg files are too large. Will post later on.
    On a side note, at the end of the month I am going to the Toronto FanExpo and my son is going to wear his Saiyan costume from last Halloween. I will be tweaking it a bit by making new gauntlets and some sort of boots/shin guards. Will post that in a separate thread.
    Thanks for reading.

Kat, HaloHunterChief, Thane and 3 others like this.
  2. mblackwell1002

mblackwell1002

Well, I can say you are a cool dad for doing that for your son, even when you have a project of your own.

I hope to see progress soon!

SI3RRA 117, Dirtdives and PaiganBoi like this.
  3. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

PaiganBoi, I know the feeling of putting your own build on hold quite well. Twice over now........

SI3RRA 117 and PaiganBoi like this.
  4. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi

When this build starts, it will count as gaining more experience that I can put towards finishing my suit. So it is a win win.

5. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi

Okay. Got pics of Mini Chief from my ArmourSmith mock up. I will have to make some adjustments for sure. The dummy that have in there is to my kid's height but definitely not to the rest of his measurements. I mean.... my son is a toothpick. The dummy in the pics.... is well built. :lol:
    That aside, if anyone sees any adjustments I should make, feel free to pipe in. MKVI.JPG MKVIa.JPG MKVIb.JPG

6. mblackwell1002

mblackwell1002

Is his head that small? Usually kids' heads are larger than the rest of their body...If you get my meaning. Kids have big heads! :) Lol.

Dirtdives and PaiganBoi like this.
  7. SI3RRA 117

SI3RRA 117

In my opinion I would bump up the chest shoulders hands and forearms. I think the whole lower half looks good. And agreed that helmet looks like a very tight fit
    Edit- helmets tough because I always thought that Bungie had modeled the MKVI quite small in the game.

Kat and Dirtdives like this.
  8. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi

The arms and shoulders actually need to be adjusted to fit some seriously skinny arms. My son has pipe cleaners for arms.
    I agree as well, the head needs to be bumped up a bit.

Dirtdives and SI3RRA 117 like this.
  9. SI3RRA 117

SI3RRA 117

You can still add foam to insides to fit.... haha want to see a horribly scaled H3 MKVI?? Check out mine :eek: lol. Look forward to seeing this built tho.

Dirtdives and PaiganBoi like this.
  10. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

I have several mis-scaled helmets under my belt as well. And as for Bungie/343 scaling......Yea, I read once that if the helmet was built to correct scale, Spartan or regular human, the wearer couldn't put it on or take off. The opening was too small to do so.

SI3RRA 117 and PaiganBoi like this.
  11. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi

I played around on Armour Smith again. This time I edited my son's avatar and then went back and made some adjustments to the scale of the suit. I knew my son was a twig... but jeez! When you apply a value to it.... its scary. Avatar.JPG MKVIc.JPG
    As you can see, he has now the bobble head going on.

12. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi

UPDATE:
    With this post I have officially started on my son's MKVI armour for Halloween. I started with the quickest bit... The hand plates. 20170823_213943.jpg
    For kicks I placed them on top of my gloves to show how small his hands are!
    As well I tinkered (again...) with the scale of the suit. Used a ref pic to better set things up. MKVId.JPG MKVIf.JPG MKVIe.JPG

Kat and SI3RRA 117 like this.
  13. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

Tini-tiny hands!!!!

TurboCharizard and PaiganBoi like this.
  14. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi

Decided to rename my thread. :p
    Have the boot pattern all traced out and will start some cutting tonight. Not shown here is a bunch of bits and bites that were cut out on 6mm foam. 20170825_210503.jpg

Aya and SI3RRA 117 like this.
  15. Joffersmk2

Joffersmk2

That looks far more realistic for a kid though. It's good you went back and altered it.

Have you thought about making a duct tape torso body maniquin of him? Mine will never stand still for fitting/moulding and we end up getting fed up of eachother....my fault, he's only 8!

Kat likes this.
  16. Joffersmk2

Joffersmk2

What type of marker are you using there? It's showing up much better than my sharpie on black mat

17. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi

Joffersmk2, I'm not using a marker. It's actually a chalk pencil.
    Check this out: General Pencil General's Pastel Chalk Pencils, Cool Colors General P... https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B001AQREQQ/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awdo_hxvOzb5V034M4
    As for my son he's 8 as well and I do have a duct tape dress form for him . He enjoyed the process and managed to sit still enough for me to get it done. IMAG0729.jpg
    It's currently being used to display his Saiyan Warrior armour that I made for him last year.

SI3RRA 117 likes this.
  18. mblackwell1002

mblackwell1002

Haha! I laugh at choo! I fear you have a case of too-many-projects syndrome. Like I don't...Cuz I do, too...let me think...I have, what? Six projects? *cringe*

I think it's awesome you call that duct tape dummy your son. Buuttt...That duct tape dummy obviously isn't a human.

Oh, the lunatics on this website. :whistle::lol::rolleyes::unsure::oops::confused:o_O

:D:D

OK, I'm done with the awful jokes. Looks like you have lots of work to do. Keep it up, man!

Kat, SI3RRA 117 and PaiganBoi like this.
  19. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi

UPDATE:
    This update also includes a delay... :mad:
    Looks like I have run out of adhesive materials. My can of cement has started to dry out. It's become gel like and doesn't apply very well. Also it has a hard time sticking together after the cure time. I also ran out of super glue. :cautious::cautious:
    So I have taken this opportunity to buy some Barge contact cement and see how much of a difference that stuff makes. It will take a few days for delivery.
    I am not a fan of using hot glue. I have never had good results with it so I stay away from using it.
    So in the mean time I have started to cut out other parts. First up: the space diaper!
    20170827_221023.jpg
    Then I'll start with the shins. By the time I get my hands on bonding materials I'll have a bunch of stuff ready to put together.

Aya, SI3RRA 117 and mblackwell1002 like this.
  20. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi

UPDATE 2:
    Got a hold of some super glue and managed to put a toe guard together as well as assemble the space diaper. Soon after I discovered that my son would not be able to slip the bugger on and off. So I did some surgery and used some rare earth magnets I had as fasteners. I just have to conseal them. 20170828_212713.jpg 20170828_212519.jpg 20170828_212440.jpg 20170828_212458.jpg

21. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi

UPDATE :
    little more progress. I have 1 and a half boots done! I almost made a big oopsie. I started on the second boot and almost ended with 2 right feet. Managed to fix it with some minor surgery. 20170830_114746.jpg 20170830_124213.jpg

Aya likes this.
  22. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi

UPDATE 2:
    Both feet are now done. There's gonna be a lot of gap filling in this one... Sigh. May have to sand down some ares as well.
    Will probably use some elastic wasteband material to keep the snug against the shoes.
    20170830_163231.jpg 20170830_163243.jpg

They remind me of those bloody Croc's slippers.

Aya and SI3RRA 117 like this.
  23. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

Try using some craft foam w/ contact cement to conceal the gaps. You will still retain the shape and outline but the gaps will be gone.

PaiganBoi likes this.
  24. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi

Sweet. Thanks for the tip.

Dirtdives likes this.
  25. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

Having used this same technique to cover up my many mistakes and gaps.....it really cleans up the work. Especially since craft foam needs very little "filling in" as raw EVA does. All those pesky little craters and divots left over from poor manufacturing.