Project Mini Chief

Discussion in 'Halo Costumes and Armor' started by PaiganBoi, Aug 7, 2017.

1. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi

Little bit of an update (sorry no pics this time)
    I have been going over all the parts and adding some details with craft foam. At the same time I am doing some gap filling.
    I am hoping by Sunday all will be ready and the weather is good. I can start sealing the foam.

SI3RRA 117 likes this.
  2. Spartan55

Spartan55

Can't wait to see it
    Side not I showed a picture of your build to a friend (she's also a cosplayer just not armour)and she said poor kid. I asked her why and she said image how hard that would be to wear. (She had only seen and felt the wight of my armour) :lol:
    So can you put some proof up on how much your kid likes it.

PaiganBoi likes this.
  3. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi

I have to do a full test fit anyways. I'll be sure to post some pics. :D

SI3RRA 117 likes this.
  4. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi

Here it is a full armour test fit. :D
    Don't mind the sunglass sticker. My son had an allergic reaction to who knows what and has a puffy eye as a result. Didn't want people to see that. :p
    20171014_202911.jpg 20171014_202226.jpg 20171014_202125.jpg

Aya and SI3RRA 117 like this.
  5. SI3RRA 117

SI3RRA 117

Looks great. Not pick apart your work :-( (sorry) just seems on the helmet the jaw could angle up a bit more. Like the top of the jaw piece should bout level with his nose. Regardless your foam work is phenomenal

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    Kat and PaiganBoi like this.
  6. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi

You are correct. I noticed the same thing. Looks like the helmet is gonna need some surgery.

SI3RRA 117 likes this.
  7. Spartan55

Spartan55

Yeah i was joking about my friend.... although she was confused :lol:
    Also love the use of stickers
    Oh almost forgot amazing work on the costume

8. TurboCharizard

TurboCharizard

I'm not sure if's the calendar in the background throwing perspective off but there looks like there's a slight list in the helmet caused by one side being pulled to the chin right side. Is there any tension in the foam?

9. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi

There is a list. The part at the bottom of the helmet was put in poorly. I placed it unevenly and ended pulling on one end to get it to fit. I can either cut the whole piece out and put it back in properly or make a cut in the middle to release the tension and add a spacer to fill in the gap.

TurboCharizard likes this.
  10. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi

Alrighty. Finally in the sealing stage. This time I used Rustolium Flexi Dip instead of Plasti Dip. It was selling for half the price! I got much better results this time. It didn't come all gloomy and sprayed much more evenly. I put 3 coats and it looks sweet. Tomorrow I will finished off the helmet, chest and space diaper.
    20171016_183714.jpg

I will start painting these parts while I seal the others.

11. TurboCharizard

TurboCharizard

Ha ha! Another convert to the FlexiDip side. What's your opinion on it so far?

Dirtdives likes this.
  12. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

PaiganBoi....wow dude!!!!! Just awesome man!!!! Looks great. Almost home.......Love the layered look on the thigh pieces. Really fantastic work.

PaiganBoi likes this.
  13. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi

I like it. Actually prefer it over the Plasti Dip... *pause to get lynched by Plasti Dip users*... Even though the spray is finer, it comes out more evenly and less splotchy.

14. TurboCharizard

TurboCharizard

Agreed, I've never lost any detail to a pool of goo like with PlastiDip. Less prone to runs and drips, less orange peel, cheaper. I find that I have to do 4-5 layers for a good coat though.

15. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

Another brand you might look in to is Flex-seal. It's advertised on those info-mercials......Guys take an aluminum rowboat, cuts out the bottom and installs a screen mesh window which he sprays w/ the Flex-seal and put the boat in water which he is sitting in as well.....and doesn't sink. I won't go that far but the stuff is pretty durable and sprays on smoothly. Home Depot came out w/ a generic version of it which costs less as well.....Its just called Flex-spray or something like that....so if you have a HD near you, check it out.

PaiganBoi likes this.
  16. TurboCharizard

TurboCharizard

THAT'S A LOT OF DAMAGE

17. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

Damage as in 'money' or damage as in 'cutting up a boat'?

TurboCharizard likes this.
  18. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi

UPDATE:
    today was the day to start painting. Since I don't have the budget to get spray paint I am hand painting everything. For this I enlisted the wife to help speed up the process. I painted the hand plates first to see how many coats of paint would be needed to get the desired look... The magic number is 4.
    20171017_211709.jpg
    As you can see... My son has decided he wants to be part of the Blues.
    I am painting the armour closer to the way Master Chief looks like in the campaign rather than the solid blue of MP matches. Hence the parts that are left black.
    I coat of paint down... 3 to go... Sigh.
    20171018_205912.jpg 20171018_224636.jpg 20171018_225707.jpg

19. SI3RRA 117

SI3RRA 117

Great work man and the blue looks sweet. I bet your son will have a big smile on his face the whole night wearing this. I'm jealous I didn't get to finish my build this Halloween.

20. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

PaiganBoi wow!!! Dude, it looks killer. I could believe that it takes 4 layers to get a quality look....the more thin layers the better the look......

PaiganBoi likes this.
  21. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi

Thanks man. Sorry to hear that you won't be able to finish in time. You still have over a week left. Who knows. A miracle can happen and you finish?

Thank you sir. Painting all these parts by hand is no joke. I think I had and equal amount of paint on my hands and arms by the end of the night.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    TurboCharizard and SI3RRA 117 like this.
  22. TurboCharizard

TurboCharizard

It's not a good cosplay day until it looks like you had a knife fight with a rainbow or you've glued your hand to something.

mblackwell1002 and PaiganBoi like this.
  23. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi

Oh, I've glued my fingers together with super glue a couple of times during this build. Lol.

Dirtdives likes this.
  24. Jme

Jme

Looking great PaiganBoi, the blue is nice!

I am doing my primer coat later this afternoon...

PaiganBoi likes this.
  25. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi

Sweet. Can't wait to see some pics.

Jme likes this.