Project_mjolnir://mark_iv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sweet I love this armor bummer is I've only seen two Mark IV builds and that includes yours :( what ever you do DON'T STOP!!!! I really what to see the full suit :)

I agree with FlusherCape26, seeing this build is sooo rare and exciting! I also wish to see this build completed.
Great work so far! THAT HELMET!! planning to build one when summer hits because it's still cold here some days.

Sweet I love this armor bummer is I've only seen two Mark IV builds and that includes yours :( what ever you do DON'T STOP!!!! I really what to see the full suit :)

I agree with FlusherCape26, seeing this build is sooo rare and exciting! I also wish to see this build completed.
Great work so far! THAT HELMET!! planning to build one when summer hits because it's still cold here some days.

Thank you for the encouragement, and don't worry! I have no intention of leaving this project incomplete. At this point, I feel like I've invested too much time and effort already to drop it.

Well, the weather's improved and production has sped up from a snail's pace to a turtle, soooo... slightly better! Yay... This thing will never go quicky, and I don't expect it to. The goal is to be wearable in time for RTX 2015. I think I'm on track.

Progress! The weather really did improve. I was able to finish applying resin to my shin piece and now just about every piece I had built has been rondo'd. I made sure to do a really thin coat of rondo on the inside of the shin since I'll have to split it somewhere. No one's foot will fit through the thin part of that shin.

Rondod.jpg

I've only had a couple of setbacks so far. One of the pieces I had put out on the patio to air out got picked up by the breeze and swept away. I live on the third floor, and it couldn't land on the grass... or the dirt. Somehow, it was swept out and then back in to land on the rocks in the nook by the AC unit.

Notmeanttodrop.jpg

It's a fine example of just how brittle this stuff can be. Thankfully, it was just a crack and not a full break. I super-glued the piece back together and slapped some resin on it, and it seems fine. The other problem was a repeat. I mentioned that on my first set of bicep pieces, the wings held up beautifully during resining, but folded in when they were rondo'd. They did it again. One piece, I tried coating only the body first. Didn't make a difference, and the rondo pooled thick enough that I can't bend it back into shape. The other piece, I tried coating the whole inside with only a very thin and runny layer of rondo. Also folded in, but was still flexible to bend back out with some reinforcement.

Wingssidebyside.jpg

I used some popsicle sticks and hot glue on low temp to hold it in place, but still be removable. To anyone else doing this build, reinforce those wings like crazy. Then you won't have to rebuild a bicep three time like I had to.

The weather for the rest of the week is rain and thunderstorms, so I'll be moving to inside work. I'm going to try building the thighs out of foam, rebuild a bicep piece (again) and maybe start pepping out the HD torso. If I'm feeling really brave, I might try my hand at making this helmet out of foam. I found a new and really good reference.

Turnaround.png

They're different views of the limited edition Halo Wars bust that was for sale years ago. Eight total, and much bigger than what's here. If any modelers or other builders want the actual pictures, send me a PM.

And to end this post: Photographic proof that cats and pepakura do not mix.

P4220626.jpg

I'm glad I wasn't going to use that piece.

Attachments

• Rondod.jpg
    Rondod.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 320
  • Notmeanttodrop.jpg
    Notmeanttodrop.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 359
  • Wingssidebyside.jpg
    Wingssidebyside.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 357
  • Turnaround.png
    Turnaround.png
    538.2 KB · Views: 521
  • P4220626.jpg
    P4220626.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 428
i have to say, dropping from a 3rd story window and thats all the damage that was done?? i say you are very lucky my friend. This build is awesome, following it:)

Nice work, not everyone can say that their armor fell 3 stories and have only a crack :D if you use fiberglass cloth or mat it makes the rondo even stronger. And please keep working I can't wait to see the finished suit :D

this should be a good reference as well

Template_small.jpg

keep up the good work.

Attachments

• Template_small.jpg
    Template_small.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 225
this should be a good reference as well

I'm not so sure. While a lot of it is still the same or really, really similar, a few of the pieces are completely wrong. Especially the helmet, but unfortunately, this is the model every Halo Wars Helmet pep has been based on.

That, and I'm not painting a barcode on my ass-piece.

I'm not so sure. While a lot of it is still the same or really, really similar, a few of the pieces are completely wrong. Especially the helmet, but unfortunately, this is the model every Halo Wars Helmet pep has been based on.

That, and I'm not painting a barcode on my ass-piece.

Well it is one of the Official Renders by Ensemble Studios of the MK IV so if anything it is one of the best references that you could use. And I don't understand what is "wrong" about this particular picture for "reference" it is one of the very, Very few full body renders of the MK IV Armor.

but it is up to you so use it or don't makes no difference to me.

Sorry it's been so long since my last update. So, the reinforced bicep piece had a second layer of rondo applied. It still warped a little, but not so bad this time. I've set up to do the same to the other half of the bicep. If I'm lucky that will warp even less.

P5220640.jpg

Also, finally finished reinforcing the bicep pieces. Also some warping there, but nothing that can't be fixed with some bondo and a lot of sanding.

warpedsidebyside.png

And of course, applied that resin onto the cracked piece. It worked splendidly.

P5220642.jpg

Also, I am sorry to say that the project will go on a partial to full hiatus while I pack everything up to move in less than 2 weeks. I won't be down long, and you can expect to see progress again sometime around mid-June. I refuse to let this project die! See ya in Texas!

Attachments

• warpedsidebyside.png
    warpedsidebyside.png
    680.6 KB · Views: 235
  • P5220642.jpg
    P5220642.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 217
  • P5220640.jpg
    P5220640.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 219
I've been following your build for a while now and i must say im really impressed!!! One question, why didn't you use fibreglass mat/cloth, but instead use Rondo to harden it? Rondo is hard but brittle but it's your choice, who am i to say? ;)

This is the first armor project from Halo Wars that I see, keep up the good work!!!

I've been following your build for a while now and i must say im really impressed!!! One question, why didn't you use fibreglass mat/cloth, but instead use Rondo to harden it? Rondo is hard but brittle but it's your choice, who am i to say? ;)

I used Rondo rather than fiberglass mat/cloth because my ultimate goal is cast these pieces. They're never going to be worn, and the roughest thing they should have to survive is this move (but that's what bubblewrap is for).

My favorite set of armor for sure- that render is from on of the games concept artists, and while a very nice reference, is inaccurate when compared to the in game models. I like it all, except for the helmet. That flat top just sucks so much. A few years back I made a run at sculpting the mark iv, but scrapped the build because I made it much too small to be wearable
31bafa53.jpg

I don't mean to hijack- if you want my pic out of here let me know and I'll delete- just wanted to show off.

Im im really excited to see what you can do with this build- so far it looks excellent. I really don't envy you having to pep that chest file though- that file was so big it would cause my old comp to lag down when I opened it. Agbates models were so high def they were insane.

Keep it up! I'm watching because I want to see a mark 4 done and in the wild

Attachments

• 31bafa53.jpg
    31bafa53.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 236
This is the first armor project from Halo Wars that I see, keep up the good work!!!

Thanks for the support!

My favorite set of armor for sure- that render is from on of the games concept artists, and while a very nice reference, is inaccurate when compared to the in game models. I like it all, except for the helmet. That flat top just sucks so much. A few years back I made a run at sculpting the mark iv, but scrapped the build because I made it much too small to be wearable

I don't mean to hijack- if you want my pic out of here let me know and I'll delete- just wanted to show off.

Im im really excited to see what you can do with this build- so far it looks excellent. I really don't envy you having to pep that chest file though- that file was so big it would cause my old comp to lag down when I opened it. Agbates models were so high def they were insane.

Keep it up! I'm watching because I want to see a mark 4 done and in the wild

I don't mind you showing off your work. There are too few Mark IV builds out there, and your sculpt is pretty damn good and accurate. Especially since too many people just go with the concept render. I hope one day you'll try again.

As far as Abgates' files go, they are gorgeous but zooming in too much causes my computer to lag, too. I'll be building the HD torso after I move into the new apartment. Admittedly, I have been putting it off for a while now. I may procrastinate more by building the helmet.

I don't blame you for not wanting to get started on that monster- I had a friend that did the size tester torso and even it was a huge task. Your build is sort of inspiring me to start my sculpt up again- I'd only be better than last time... Well maybe.

Your build is sort of inspiring me to start my sculpt up again- I'd only be better than last time... Well maybe.

Do it!!! I have great helmet reference pictures if you need them. I only know of two other members who are working on this build, but their threads died out months ago. Seriously, if one of us can finish a Halo Wars Mark IV build, we could start one of the site's smallest clubs.

UPDATE:

So I have moved into my new apartment in Texas, but my stuff has yet to follow. Thus, I've been forced to work on the HD torso. Good news: I started it ages ago during an underway, so there is a good chunk of progress already made. Bad news: I started cutting all the pieces out before I realized that a lot of the pieces were doubled so that you could either build the detail or carve the detail. Soooo... I'm not entirely sure what parts are what, or what still needs to be cut out. I'm probably going to have to cut out all of it and figure it out.

I've got a lot of work ahead of me...

Great job mate, can't wait to see it finished. Though I am afraid I must point out that the liquid crystal layer you talked about in the intro is not what gives the SPARTANs their enhancements, if you have read the books you would know that the enhancements were given by genetic manipulation, it was what allowed them to wear the suits in the firsts place, the liquid crystal layer is for an AI, if you choose to use one. Sorry, that turned into somewhat of a rant but I am a stickler for detail.

Great job mate, can't wait to see it finished. Though I am afraid I must point out that the liquid crystal layer you talked about in the intro is not what gives the SPARTANs their enhancements, if you have read the books you would know that the enhancements were given by genetic manipulation, it was what allowed them to wear the suits in the firsts place, the liquid crystal layer is for an AI, if you choose to use one. Sorry, that turned into somewhat of a rant but I am a stickler for detail.

I know that the liquid crystal layer is not responsible for their physical enhancements. As a result of the augmentation process, SPARTANs can lift three times their body weight (which is almost double a normal person's weight due to increased muscle density) and run in bursts up to 55kph, though Kelly is probably faster. However, there are two liquid crystal layers. One is, yes, the matrix used to create the crystal lattice framework necessary to house and run a smart AI. However, the second is an amorphous reactive metal liquid crystal. That one fractally scales and amplifies force to double the wearers strength and increase reaction speed by a factor of five (Fall of Reach, pg 73 and 115).

Sorry. I'm also a Halo-buff, and I've been in RvB forums where we argued and had to cite stuff like this. I always think it's kind of fun. Feel free to argue this stuff with me!

In less pedantic news: the stuff from my move finally arrived and I've been unpacking. Unfortunately, it wasn't a good move. A lot of my stuff was damaged. All of my armor pieced were snuggly packed and bubble-wrapped, so most survived the move; however:

P6240668.jpg

It's hard to see, but the opening at the bottom was squished. It's now too narrow to fit even my ankle through. I'll likely have to rebuild it. And of course, the bicep pieces couldn't survive either.

P6240667.jpg

These little bastards will be the death of me. I've got a lot of pep work ahead of me.

Attachments

• P6240668.jpg
    P6240668.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 201
  • P6240667.jpg
    P6240667.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 223
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back