Ravarkian's Foam Noble 6 Build (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take your time, no hurry, I have LOTS to do. I was mostly interested in the helmet as that's my current project, but if you feel snappy, I'll take the Torso too! You have one already I just would like it a bit bigger (bottom center in post one) or one from slightly up to see that join between the top meets the "rim". I'll make due with whatever you put

Thanks for volunteering the pics and really no hurry.

This is looking AMAZING. Everything is so crisp and neat. Interesting to see you're using an additive method to detailing as opposed to reductive, a lot of people would just cut or carve out the details. Did you account for the added thickness in layering the foam, or did it not add much extra thickness to begin with? I was considering only using the 6mm foam as a base but I guess the 1/2" is much more stable, huh. Anyways, can't wait to see more, any ideas on the paint job?

Spartan-214, Thanks for the comment! When I first set out to build this, I didn't really plan on how the thickness of the foam would affect the final pieces. Just tried making them as proportionate to my body. But the craft foam doesn't really add that much more thickness. And the typical 1/2" is just right for the base. As for the paint job, I'm probably going to paint it Primary Blue and Secondary Steel with a few neat extra tid bits. I'm not quite sure what painting method I'm going to use, but I'm not going to use spray paint or anything like that. I'll start looking into it once I plasti-dip all of my armor.

RTWHOCKEY, Thanks! I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I hope it doesn't come to that!

-Ravarkian

oh...my.....god....this is so amazing! The work you have done is impeccable! and I agree this should go into the elite showcase, keep up the good work!

c0f3789e-c536-4af3-826c-07092475575a_zps6c6cbf07.jpg
I hope this is what you were looking for, RovingGun. If there's anything else I can elaborate on about my costume, y'all feel free to ask. Well, I better get to work on some new stuff!

-Ravarkian

Thanks for the picture. This will do just fine! I'm about half done my "frame". I'm not sure if I'll do as much detailing as you did...it's even more impressive when you are actually trying to emulate the results

*Jaw drops*:eek
This is amazing! I never thought to use craft foam for the detailing and the EVA for a base. It seems like the obvious thing to do now. I'm so glad I found this before I started my helmet.

Thanks for the comments everyone! I wanted to post some photos I have of the helmet before the detailing stage. I know the picture quality isn't that great but they're the only ones I have.
c3ff0a3d-83aa-4c44-96ad-2d26bf737273_zps08b61207.jpg4c643781-1328-4f7b-b1f8-bc2a36412f2a_zps21c2e678.jpg
I figured I would post them since I still had them on my phone.

This is coming along super awesome! Thumbs up to your foam skills! Looking forward to seeing more :)

Oh man i was searching for foam helmets to see what is possible. But you showed me that EVERYTHING is possible with foam o0! I m blown away from this helmet!!
May i ask which kind of 3m spray did you use? i found many different kinds on ebay but i m still not sure which fits best :/ (have low budget at the time right now ^^!)

bbc-gunbunny02, Thanks! I used the Super 77 3M spray.

Yamaha274 - Indeed, it just looks more complete with the CNM.

Sorry I haven't gotten the chance to post anything new. Things have been pretty busy, but I think things will be back on track soon.

-Ravarkian

Okay folks, for the first time in a long while it's update time!

DSCN5877_zps139e715d.jpg
Update 7: Mark V Shoulder Base
Yet another scratch build, the initial build of the left shoulder took about 1 and a half day to build and detail, while the right took about one day total, so overall took almost 3 days. These took about 10$ or so of materials to finish give or take. They both fit properly, but may need a bit of work to get it just right. They also seem to be adequately proportioned to my chest. Sorry I only got one picture up, I'll have to give y'all a better look tomorrow when I can get some more pictures plus I'll show you what else I've been up to in my absence from the 405th in the recent months. Sadly though, wasn't as much as I would have liked. Just a quick update to show what I've got so far, but still more to come!

And sorry the picture sucks.

Killer foam work man! So fresh and so clean.

So for this you're using pep templates converted for foam? Are you doing the conversions yourself? I'm interested in this method for a few pieces in my build that may be tricky with foam and I'd really like to nail them instead of eyeballing (which hasn't been too bad of a method, but I am noticing the occasional proportion errors)

Thanks! Actually though, my helmet and chest are the only ones that used pep files, the helmet file I converted myself. The rest is scratch built using hand made templates cut out of cardstock. I do it this way to get a better custom fit. But if you're looking to convert pep files for foam, it's not too difficult. You just have to edit out any parts you won't need a template for like recesses or whatever else you think you wouldn't need. Then reduce any symetrical pieces down to one half because you can just flip any left side template to become the rigt side too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back