Real Life Half Life/stargate!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fragclone said:
could someone narrow down what exactly theyre trying to do? o_O in like 2 sentences or or less?
Sigma already did, sorta:

Sigma-LS said:
Essentially think of taking a glass ball and hitting it so hard it doesn't just shatter or even turn into dust, you hit it so hard that it breaks the chemical bonds that hold it together and leaves you with raw elements. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm working on my graduate degree in geology (got my 4year in geology a couple years ago). But man do they bring in some good biology and physics lecturers to listen to. They post the abstracts and times in the science building elevator by my office so I show up to the cool ones. :D

Thanks for the "Super" explanation Ral. I guess all the physicists are so used to talking about it that they just use the shortened version talking about it in presentations. :rolleyes

Fragclone said:
could someone narrow down what exactly theyre trying to do? o_O in like 2 sentences or or less?
The collider hopes to detect the existence of the Higgs boson, the last particle predicted by the Standard Model (of electro-weak interactions) to exist but yet to be found. If it's proven to exist, then that's a HUGE step toward the holy grail of physics, the Grand Unified Theory, aka the "theory of everything."

BTW. the Standard Model has been around for more than 40 years and only now we've been able to achieve the technology needed to reach the energies required by the model.

Sigma-LS said:
I'm working on my graduate degree in geology (got my 4year in geology a couple years ago). But man do they bring in some good biology and physics lecturers to listen to. They post the abstracts and times in the science building elevator by my office so I show up to the cool ones. :D
That explains it. You sound like you know more physics than most other people here. If you're going for a Ph.D., that's really awesome. Best of luck on your graduate work.

Sigma-LS said:
Thanks for the "Super" explanation Ral. I guess all the physicists are so used to talking about it that they just use the shortened version talking about it in presentations. :rolleyes
People always ask me about everything under the sun so I need to know these kinds of things. :cool:

Supposedly the chance of the LHC causing a cosmic implosion is 1 in a googol (no, not google). A googol is 10 to the 20th power.

And to illustrate how important the Higgs-boson particle is, just look at its nickname: the "god particle."

acmc117 said:
im 11 and i understand all of this
ok? would you like a cookie? after it was explaned and more research was done on differant things i understand it all to o_O

Tre Battle said:
Sounds like the mist to me they turn that thing on and out comes the 400 foot killer monsters along with a ton of mist
That's what Half life is based on.

redragon74 said:
ok? would you like a cookie? after it was explaned and more research was done on differant things i understand it all to o_O
i understand this stuf becuz like sudying it

i think its bin on secen 2005 becuz i saw on the discovery channel and then it on history channel about 2 years later

They've been building it for a while and I remember plans being discussed several years ago. However, the facility is not technically running at full power and being used for research currently. It also might back up your credibility if you use proper spelling and grammer. Because even if you do understand, poor spelling and grammer will lead people to assume you know less. Hehe and we all know what assume breaks down into.

BTW- please don't double post

@Ral- Thanks man!

acmc117 said:
im 11 and i understand all of this
acmc117 said:
i understand this stuf becuz like sudying it
acmc117 said:
i think its bin on secen 2005 becuz i saw on the discovery channel and then it on history channel about 2 years later
I'm with Sigma here: you have to have something to back up your claim (of knowing this stuff). And watching it on the Discovery Channel or reading Wikipedia don't count. :p

Sigma-LS said:
They've been building it for a while and I remember plans being discussed several years ago. However, the facility is not technically running at full power and being used for research currently. It also might back up your credibility if you use proper spelling and grammar. Because even if you do understand, poor spelling and grammar will lead people to assume you know less. Hehe and we all know what assume breaks down into.

BTW- please don't double post

@Ral- Thanks man!
Fixed. Hahahahaha

Sigma has a point though. He r smrt, you shuld listin 2 him.

:p

As cool as it'd be, it wouldn't ever be like Half-Life or Stargate. Heres a few reasons why (I'm trying to ignore the actual physics involved. While I have a grasp of the concepts, I doubt I could explain them):

Half-Life

1. The portals created in Half-Life's 'Portal Storm' were interdimensional gateways that needed to be specifically locked to another dimension. The scientists at Black Mesa Research Facility (FTW) where experimenting with teleport technology when the discovered Xen, a 'world stretched thin across the membrane where dimensions intersect', sort of like a 'border world' between dimensions. It was near improbably that the BMRF team found a border world that was inhabited. However, according to the theory of infinite universe, it comes to 50/50 odds (That is a simplified version of the actual odds. The current theory is much different) of finding a world that is inhabited versus a world that isn't. Then, you figure in whether or not the world's life forms are hostile or not, which comes out to 25/25/50, and if you keep narrowing it down, it becomes a virtual impossibility.

2. The only reason the aliens got to Earth in the first place was the interferance of the portal's structure by the Nihilanth. Otherwise, the portals would be glimpsed for fractions of microseconds before they collapse within themselves.

-> I can use that same explination to debunk the 'Black hole' debate. Every black hole formed (and there will be a lot of them), will only exist at the sub-atomic level for incredibly small amounts of time, not large enough to do any damage.

3. The only reason the Combine got to Earth was for the same reason.

4. The odds of creating an interdimensional breach of even a sub-atomic scale is a virtual impossibility.

Stargate

1. The wormholes in Stargate require 2 seperate points in 3-dimensional space to create an effective wormhole. As the odds of creating the earth based wormhole at the same time of another wormhole is, again, a virtual impossibility.

-----

Actually, it may be more likely that we discover a 'Slip-space' like dimension than to create a 'Portal Storm' or 'Stargate'.

get yer gas masks

*Does a system check of his HEV suit*

The probability argument the critics LOVE to repeat ("but..maybe?") is driving me up a wall. It doesn't add up, just by saying that there's a "chance" we might all go up in flames doesn't make it probable or even remotely likely to happen. It's like me saying that there's a "chance" I could phase through my door right now because my atoms might all suddenly vibrate just the right way... but I'm not going to.

But that small "maybe" or "you can't predict the future" opens up a whole can of worms. And there I'm stuck. I can't tell the future, so technically I'm powerless to provide evidence. I could draw up statistics...but then we're back to where we started.

Loubear said:
The probability argument the critics LOVE to repeat ("but..maybe?") is driving me up a wall. It doesn't add up, just by saying that there's a "chance" we might all go up in flames doesn't make it probable or even remotely likely to happen. It's like me saying that there's a "chance" I could phase through my door right now because my atoms might all suddenly vibrate just the right way... but I'm not going to.

But that small "maybe" or "you can't predict the future" opens up a whole can of worms. And there I'm stuck. I can't tell the future, so technically I'm powerless to provide evidence. I could draw up statistics...but then we're back to where we started.

Exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back