Resining & Fibre Glassing Tutorial/How To

Status
Not open for further replies.
20xx said:
I may have missed this in my skimming, but has anyone here attempted to use carbon fiber instead of fiberglass? I'm beginning to construct my Daft Punk helmets for myself and a buddy for Halloween, and it's been something that's come up. Of course, I couple always stop by TAP Plastics, but hey, thought I'd ask you guys first.
I'm not sure if it has ever been done, I remember someone mentioning it, in another thread. I think it's a pretty neat idea, just really expensive/dangerous.

Last edited by a moderator:
gamerguy55 said:
I'm not sure if it has ever been done, I remember someone mentioning it, in another thread. I think it's a pretty neat idea, just really expensive/dangerous.

Cost is a given, but you are getting more structural integrity for your buck. How is it more dangerous than fiberglass, though?

I think it's just more expensive and harder, but if you are used to that material, why not?

I don't think it's more dangerous tho, but if you wear the safety equipment, you'll be allright ;)

what do you do after fiberglass & resining? like next step
and good tutorial by the way, i can tell itll help me in the future

Has anyone tried adding wieght to the Wepons by resining it halfway, leaving an opening and filling it with that expandable foam stuff then finish sealing and resining it?

Folks have done one or the other as far as I know. There is a thread on endo glassing (resin inside). I could have missed a thread or two...

I just had a great idea: To strengthen the armor to the point where it might as well BE REAL ARMOR, is to use carbon fiber reinforcement. You could get carbon fiber fabric sheets, cut them up into neat strips or whatever shape you need, and resin it to the inside of your armor. Hard carbon fiber plates would need to be screwed into the most important places for reinforcement, though. I think I've had a revolutionary idea!

Selsiuss said:
I just had a great idea: To strengthen the armor to the point where it might as well BE REAL ARMOR, is to use carbon fiber reinforcement. You could get carbon fiber fabric sheets, cut them up into neat strips or whatever shape you need, and resin it to the inside of your armor. Hard carbon fiber plates would need to be screwed into the most important places for reinforcement, though. I think I've had a revolutionary idea!

Not a new idea....just calm down and think how much money that would cost....$$$$$$$$$

Selsiuss said:
This has been discussed before. As good as they are, the main downside is their cost. A 3-sq ft sheet of carbon fiber sheet costs $100 and you are going to need far more than this.

Check Thorsoli's thread. I believe he talked about carbon fiber in there a little when it was brought up. Cost is your main problem since your armor will already be fairly expensive.

Unless you're willing to make a mold and vacuum bag the layup you'll never realize the benefits of carbon fiber enough to make it worth your while. That and the chief benefit of carbon fiber is high strength to weight ratio. In this application (armor) you just don't need the strength that carbon fiber offers for the light weight. That and the price is stupidly high. So basically you're just using carbon fiber for the sake of using carbon fiber. Stick with fiberglass. If you want to improve the strength of the fiberglass, use a 1 to 1 ratio by weight of resin to fiber. That will give you more than adequate strength. Carry on.

where can i get the fiberglass resign

halofan1armourstatus.png

grate tut but can any1 say what is the best color for the helmet, the matt green or the shiny green :cautious:

Color choice is up the the person building the armor. I don't like the green. It has been done too many times and is getting old (IMO).

tlither said:
Color choice is up the the person building the armor. I don't like the green. It has been done too many times and is getting old (IMO).
ok, i think ill make it pink then (i like pink, but that dosent mean ai am a girl :D) but which is looks the best, the matt or the shiny

Pilot92 said:
hey has anyone use airplane model dope instead of resin??
i can tell you the cheapest way to reinforce you helmet i used makiwer tape lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back