Respirator Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Guardian

Ive been looking around for cheap good respirators since the one i was using is no longer available to me.

Will this one work? Is it rated for organics? It doesn't say anywhere, and i dont want to spend the $30 on a respirator that wont work.

My biggest issue is that it only says its rated for odor reduction.

The respirator in question.

If anyone knows of any good respirators i'll give you a cookie for a link. :p

hey, I found an American Home Depot, and I found a respirator that only cost $29.97.

I have a respirator of the same brand, does me really good, I would find the one I have but I didn't find it on the american website.

I'm pretty sure it'll be good, if you ever have any questions about it, try calling up the store, I'm sure they'll be more than happy to help you out :)

oh, and for the cookie : )

http://www.homedepot.com/Paint-Paint-Accessories-Apparel-Dust-Masks-Respirators/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5Zboav/R-100195886/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

MikyVengeance said:
hey, I found an American Home Depot, and I found a respirator that only cost $29.97.

I have a respirator of the same brand, does me really good, I would find the one I have but I didn't find it on the american website.

I'm pretty sure it'll be good, if you ever have any questions about it, try calling up the store, I'm sure they'll be more than happy to help you out :)

oh, and for the cookie : )

http://www.homedepot.com/Paint-Paint-Accessories-Apparel-Dust-Masks-Respirators/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5Zboav/R-100195886/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

wookiee.jpg

Is this suitable? :p

And ill look into this respirator. The only ones ive found in my region is like $200. :[

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, not to steal your thunder or anything, but since this thread is on it, I might as well make sure mine is ok too.

My dad is a Cincinnati Fireman, and they issue them respirators to wear after fires are put out and they are walking through the building, but no one uses them. So instead of spending money on one, I'm going to use that. It is a 3M respirator, and thats all I really know.

My mom is out of town and has the camera, so I had to find a picture on the internet.

It looks like this and came with two pink things to put on the sides:

75298.gif

Thanks

Spartan5511 said:
Hey, not to steal your thunder or anything, but since this thread is on it, I might as well make sure mine is ok too.

My dad is a Cincinnati Fireman, and they issue them respirators to wear after fires are put out and they are walking through the building, but no one uses them. So instead of spending money on one, I'm going to use that. It is a 3M respirator, and thats all I really know.

My mom is out of town and has the camera, so I had to find a picture on the internet.

It looks like this and came with two pink things to put on the sides:

75298.gif

Thanks

No prob.

Ill see if i can figure it out.

I think its 3m that works best, but i dont remember the specific details.

most ppl use 3m masks spartan that one is the one i use just make sure to get organic vapor filters and the other mask in question say its for Chemical so it should work fine. if i were you id go to a place thats is an industrial supply store and talk to them and have them set you up

At walmart I found a cheap 5 dollar one that looks likes a medical mask only thicker. It says you can use it with fiberglass, but I don't really trust anything that cheap lol

I found a 10 dollar one at a Sears Auto near me, but I think it's just the mask and no filters which is a bummer.

A_Guardian said:
Ive been looking around for cheap good respirators since the one i was using is no longer available to me.

Will this one work? Is it rated for organics? It doesn't say anywhere, and i dont want to spend the $30 on a respirator that wont work.

My biggest issue is that it only says its rated for odor reduction.

The respirator in question.

If anyone knows of any good respirators i'll give you a cookie for a link. :p

yes that's a good respirator if you read the description you'll see "NIOSH approved: OV/P100 " which stands for organic vapor 100% oil resistant

Chuck_D said:
yes that's a good respirator if you read the description you'll see "NIOSH approved: OV/P100 " which stands for organic vapor 100% oil resistant

Oh, thanks.

I not hype with the lingo. :p

Ill buy that on when i get the money. Which should be soon.

In my experience, if it is rated 100% resistant to Organic Vapors and/or Volatile Compounds, It will work. It should also SEAL against your face, so there's no leakage. As a general rule, if you can smell the resin vapors, it's not safe (it should be noted, just because you CAN'T Smell it, doesn't mean it's safe). If it is rated JUST for Particulate, it's not going to be safe. Small masks or particulate covers (The little white masks) are NOT safe.

I can't count how many umpty-billion topics there are on respirators, so let me spell it out:

Your respirator should:

Be rated 100% for Volatile Organic Compounds, Organic Chemicals, or Organic Vapors

have spare cartridges (or you should get spare cartridges) ALSO rated 100% for VOCs, Organic Chemicals, or Organic Vapors.

Have the cartridges replaced if it gets harder to breathe or the filter becomes discolored.

create an air-tight seal around your nose AND mouth.

Your respirator should NOT:

Be only rated for Particulate use.

leak.

be cheap.

have difficulty breathing.

Don't take any chances with your lungs later. Spend the $30-40, get the rated, sealing chemical mask and some spare cartridges.

Oh, and as a side note, NEVER take apart the cartridges to see what's inside. They are Factory Sealed on the interior when they are assembled, and disassembling the plastic cartridge breaks that seal and can introduce a leak.

Linked from the OP's page:

3M Professional Series Respirator

This is what I use. No complaints, works like a dream, comes with 4 P95 HEPA filters (2, then 2 replacements as well). Only slight issue is that it doesn't get rid of exhalation very very well, and the silicone construction just soaks up the smell of week-old sausage on my breath... (Because my whole diet is high school cafeteria pizza... I'm not sure what's worse, lung cancer and brain damage or that smell >_< )

SchizophrenicMC said:
Linked from the OP's page:

3M Professional Series Respirator

This is what I use. No complaints, works like a dream, comes with 4 P95 HEPA filters (2, then 2 replacements as well). Only slight issue is that it doesn't get rid of exhalation very very well, and the silicone construction just soaks up the smell of week-old sausage on my breath... (Because my whole diet is high school cafeteria pizza... I'm not sure what's worse, lung cancer and brain damage or that smell >_< )

Sweet, glad to hear some testimonial.

And now im glad i cant eat school food.:p

if you have a Rocky's Ace Hardware. they have two types of facemasks that specifically filter fiberglass resin fumes for around 10$. one even has a vent chamber thing that let's the hot air you breathe out escape. i've used it and you can't smell the fumes. they come in 2 and 3 packs

I know exactly which masks you're referring to; they look like this:

kouzhaoIMG_5403da.gif

51r7xlwLMFL._SS500_.jpg

As per my previous instructions, these are not, Not, NOT RATEDfor this kind of fiberglass work!

The Above-pictured masks are dust masks, meant to be used when working with Fiberglas ™ INSULATION, AKA The Pink/yellow/white crap in your walls. These are very much NOT Rated to protect against Polyeurathane Resin fumes. They protect you from the strands during insulation, but not from the fumes of any resin.

I cannot stress this enough, Do NOT Take chances with your health, you will LOSE. When in doubt, get the more expensive respirator. It's not that hard to save $30, and it will save you from a lifetime of agony because of it.

cneyrinck said:
I know exactly which masks you're referring to; they look like this:

kouzhaoIMG_5403da.gif

51r7xlwLMFL._SS500_.jpg

As per my previous instructions, these are not, Not, NOT RATEDfor this kind of fiberglass work!

The Above-pictured masks are dust masks, meant to be used when working with Fiberglas ™ INSULATION, AKA The Pink/yellow/white crap in your walls. These are very much NOT Rated to protect against Polyeurathane Resin fumes. They protect you from the strands during insulation, but not from the fumes of any resin.

I cannot stress this enough, Do NOT Take chances with your health, you will LOSE. When in doubt, get the more expensive respirator. It's not that hard to save $30, and it will save you from a lifetime of agony because of it.

A lot of members made the mistake of using these kinds of respirators just because they see the word "FIBERGLASS". It really means the pink fiberglass insulation for your house. It only protects against dust and not fumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back