Respirator Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakedobbin

Jr Member
hey guys would it be okay if i used a gas mask instead of a respirator i have one from the original vietnam war?

Vietnam? You'll probably need to replace the canister and make sure the seal is still tight after all these years. Cup a hand over the canister's opening and seal it as best you can. If you can breathe at all, it's not sealed.

Otherwise, military gas masks are effective replacements for commercial respirators. I use one of the new ones since my dad had been issued it while still in the service and it was better to use that than spend 30 bucks on a new respirator.

Edit: Oops, Tactics beat me to it

I personally would save it if it's in good condition. It's an antique :p

yccars: you spent $30 on a respirator? I saw one at Wal-Mart for like $6. You dohn't need a faceplate, do you?

phenry said:
Does it say it protects against organic vapors? No. Don't even try to use that, it won't do anything for fiberglass resin.

ha i knew that, but i just dont see why aqua resin cant be sold like regular resin

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah those masks are for dust-protection only. if you have a dry, fibreglassed helmet, and say you would dremel it, that thing would only protect you grom the dust from bondo and the nasty fibreglass paritcles

i havew some of these aswell, but a respirator of course.

I like to wear them when dremeling instead of a respirator because they are more 'handy' on my face.

Yeah those masks are for dust-protection only. if you have a dry, fibreglassed helmet, and say you would dremel it, that thing would only protect you grom the dust from bondo and the nasty fibreglass paritcles

i havew some of these aswell, but a respirator of course.

I like to wear them when dremeling instead of a respirator because they are more 'handy' on my face.

In this thread people gamble with their lives by speculating on the effectiveness of alternative safety equipment. Hope you don't roll snake eyes. :unsure

Only one way to be sure, get the real thing. If you don't have a proper organic vapor respirator, don't work with resin. Nobody here should be telling you any different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back