Respirator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any type of respirators work for this. I use a paper one with those little metal nose strips. Its just that some work more than others.
Like yours would be fine, but unless you have a proffesional one that has two canisters of compressed oxygen it slowly "feeds" you over 5 hours, all respirators will be somewhat the same in effectiveness.
So yeah it would work. But just get a simple doctors mask and do it outside, not in garage, and never indoors, and you will be fine.

jimmyfu said:
Sorry to bother you guys with this but...would this respirator work for resining and fiberglassing?
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_U...7glR4BVF0G3G3bl
Yeah, this one is good. Just make sure that the cartridge that comes with it filters out organic vapors (i.e., solvents).

CemreTas said:
Any type of respirators work for this. I use a paper one with those little metal nose strips. Its just that some work more than others.
Like yours would be fine, but unless you have a proffesional one that has two canisters of compressed oxygen it slowly "feeds" you over 5 hours, all respirators will be somewhat the same in effectiveness.
So yeah it would work. But just get a simple doctors mask and do it outside, not in garage, and never indoors, and you will be fine.
What are you talking about?! Those masks that you're recommending are just for dust particles. Against resin fumes, you might as well be wearing no masks at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
i don't use a respirator at all and im not dead. allot of people are paranoid that if they suck up a tiny amount of resin fumes they will die...

I guy I know lost his sense of smell for a half year when he played with resin without mask.

Yup.

Always use and wear a respirator that has filtering cartridges.

Resin is a dangerous chemical that emits fumes and should never be taken lightly.

A dust mask only protects against...dust.

like everyone else says resp. is a must unlss you want to end up half retarded later on lol

plus you get to look cool doin it and ppl walking buy your house will stare at you trying to figure out what your doing! ^^

Ral Partha said:
What are you talking about?! Those masks that you're recommending are just for dust particles. Against resin fumes, you might as well be wearing no masks at all.
Fumes will still enter your body and do damage, dust wont.

Nope. The dust style masks only protect against particulate. That's something you'd wear if you were cleaning a vent or if you were simply cutting the unresined fiberglass cloth.

Even if you are in a well ventilated area, you will be in very close contact while mixing and applying resin. It's going to get all over your gloves and you'll be leaning over it to work. I worked outside every time I resined and the fumes are still too strong not to wear a full respirator. I found the fumes to be nauseating within a short time (in addition to other dangers) so please don't use the little cloth masks no matter what. It's what the manufacturers all recommend!

Be safe :)

Crossfire said:
if you work outside cant you use the medical style masks like CemreTas said

Will everyone PLEASE stop telling people this! (not callin you out or anything crossfire, i'm just really really sick of people getting those that don't know what they're doing to believe this load of tripe)

this is one hundred and ten percent NOT true.

like vex said, this stuff is extremely dangerous regardless of the condition. Even if you don't think that the fumes affect you right now, wait 40 years, then call me when you have some sort of horrible debilitating problem. It'd be nice to say I told you so.

I personally work with epoxy resins, because the ones I use don't hardly have a smell at all. And guess what, even though I can't smell the fumes, THEY'RE STILL THERE. So, I wear a respirator.

It's plain and simple, Wear a respirator, or Risk your health.

pretty easy choice right?

Here we go again :p

You should always use respirators with cartridges in them to filter out the fumes from the resin. A simple doctor's mask will not cut it as they only filter larger particles such as bacteria, viruses and dust. Vapors and fumes from strong chemicals like resin won't be filtered because they are not large like the above things. I used to think the same thing, but these nice people here taught me different and might have saved my life or lungs or something.

BLARGH.
Anybody who tells people to not use a respirator is violating common sens, as well as Darwin's Law. Both of which I hold very dear.

See, if an intelligent properly reads the MSDS and finds that he needs a respirator, well, then, he deserves to know this life-saving tip.

If a not intelligent person just says "screw it" and doesn't even read the MSDS, well, then he deserves what he gets.

If a somewhat intelligent person figures "Let's ask the forums" and gets a response from morons that probably went through the above mentioned process decide they're qualified to ANSWER this question, does the vaguely intelligent person deserve the same fate as the complete dolt who thinks he's smarter than he is?
I think not.

CemreTas said:

WRONG!

Don't make me do this again... read these posts and follow safety guidelines when using resin.

SNAPPY ANSWERS TO STUPID RESPIRATOR QUESTIONS! (CLICK ME!)

ANYONE SUGGESTING THAT 'RESPIRATORS ARE NOT NEEDED' FOR USING POLYESTER RESIN IS BRAIN DAMAGED FROM THE FUMES.

I WILL NOT ALLOW THIS ADVICE TO BE POSTED ON THIS SITE.

Respirators arent needed, if you want to get sick.

Respirators ARE needed, if you want to LIVE/not get sick.

If you are outside, you might be ok with a cheap mask, but if you are inside or in a garage, WEAR A RESPIRATOR FOR FUMES. Too many people on this forum have made bad choices, such as working in your kitchen with resin, and not wearing a mask, they all got sick.

Ral Partha said:

He aid DOCTORS mask. a true doctors mask is way better than any catridge mask. a true hospital grade DOCOTRS mask as usually a 3 micron rating. this is made to stop everything exept oxygen. everything including allergins bacteria and yes fumes.

Durlaburban said:
He aid DOCTORS mask. a true doctors mask is way better than any catridge mask. a true hospital grade DOCOTRS mask as usually a 3 micron rating. this is made to stop everything exept oxygen. everything including allergins bacteria and yes fumes.
You really have no idea what you're talking about, don't you?

Durlaburban said:

"Simple surgical masks can reduce the spread of bacteria in aerosols. Apart from protecting the wearer from splashes in the mouth with body fluids, they are intended to protect others from the wearer's oral and nasal bacteria. They are not designed to protect the wearer from inhaled particles."

"A surgical mask will trap some particles but is much less effective than a mask designed for this purpose."

Even the high grade surgical masks aren't really designed to protect you from things like solvent/resin fumes or particulates created by sanding etc.

It's not like it's that expensive to buy a fairly decent half face single filter respirator, I got one for about US$25 (know use a twin filter one that I got for a bit extra) and with the proper cartridge it'll do everything you'll ever need when you're working on your armor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back