Rhino Liner

Status
Not open for further replies.

bilsy28

There wasn't anything on this site about rhino liner spray, so I thought I'd just make one. A friend of mine said that I should use rhino liner to make my suit airsoft proof, and apparently it comes in a spray. Has anyone tried this? I am seriously thinking of trying this. he said that it might be a little heavy, but it should be more than airsoft proof (I would probably just make the helmet airsoft proof anyway).

bilsy28 said:
There wasn't anything on this site about rhino liner spray, so I thought I'd just make one. A friend of mine said that I should use rhino liner to make my suit airsoft proof, and apparently it comes in a spray. Has anyone tried this? I am seriously thinking of trying this. he said that it might be a little heavy, but it should be more than airsoft proof (I would probably just make the helmet airsoft proof anyway).

no.

besides it beign expensive and you cant buy it on its own (as far as i know) it woudl be very very heavy.

even IF you did do this, the airsoft rounds would still break your bondo, resined exterior part of the suit apart.

you cannot play AS in your suit without damageing it to some degree...

Last edited by a moderator:
okay. but ill just try, to make sure. the kind of spray I'm talking about has been hit with more than 400fps, but maybe I was just lucky. I didn't try it with armor though.

Sorry to have to remind you , but discussion of making armor for the purposes of actual protection from airsoft or paintball is kinda uncool here because people can get hurt and the website could be held liable.

Run a search for 'airsoft' or 'paintballe' and you'll probably see plenty of threads on this topic that have been closed.

However since you're looking for info on Rhino liner, I thought I'd at least point you in the direction of some other threads on the subject:

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?s=&s...st&p=173845

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?s=&s...st&p=183556

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopi...t=0&start=0

It looks as though Crossfire and Masterfett have had some success with this material but most people seem to be unsure of it. Is the jury still out on this. Could we get confirmation on this?

Sean Bradley said:
Sorry to have to remind you , but discussion of making armor for the purposes of actual protection from airsoft or paintball is kinda uncool here because people can get hurt and the website could be held liable.

Run a search for 'airsoft' or 'paintballe' and you'll probably see plenty of threads on this topic that have been closed.

However since you're looking for info on Rhino liner, I thought I'd at least point you in the direction of some other threads on the subject:

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?s=&s...st&p=173845

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?s=&s...st&p=183556

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopi...t=0&start=0

It looks as though Crossfire and Masterfett have had some success with this material but most people seem to be unsure of it. Is the jury still out on this. Could we get confirmation on this?

Yea, thanks this is a big help, I remember reading a topic somewhere with the rhino liner spray, but when I looked I couldn't find it. You can lock this if you really want to.

It wouldn't make it "Airsoft Proof", per se. It might harden it. The only real liability for airsoft is eyes, the skin over the rest of your body is enough protection for 90% of Airsoft guns (Including high quality replicas), and certainly all airsoft guns bought at your local Wal-Mart/Sports store. The real question is "Will the Visor I buy deflect the BBs, and will the area around the visor be destroyed by BBs?".

Gooberz said:
It wouldn't make it "Airsoft Proof", per se. It might harden it. The only real liability for airsoft is eyes, the skin over the rest of your body is enough protection for 90% of Airsoft guns (Including high quality replicas), and certainly all airsoft guns bought at your local Wal-Mart/Sports store. The real question is "Will the Visor I buy deflect the BBs, and will the area around the visor be destroyed by BBs?".

Well I'd get a paintball visor from my paintball mask, and use that for the visor, and I would only make the helmet airsoft proof, for around my eyes, the paintball visor should do it, but I could back it up with a piece of a trash can lid, or part of a paintball mask, or something like that.

EDIT: If you did use a trash can lid you'd have to cover that with some type of foam so you don't get a scratch -unless you make the metal really, really dull.

about bondo and stuff, one thing you could do is make your armor with pepakura, fiberglass, and bondo and such. THEN sprayy it wit hthe rhino liner. that would keep your shape and everything! the only protection i would worry about is the visor, but shouldnt an HJC motorcycle visor hold up to an airsoft gun? it seems obvious but idk the specs

flipboy439 said:
about bondo and stuff, one thing you could do is make your armor with pepakura, fiberglass, and bondo and such. THEN sprayy it wit hthe rhino liner. that would keep your shape and everything! the only protection i would worry about is the visor, but shouldnt an HJC motorcycle visor hold up to an airsoft gun? it seems obvious but idk the specs

That's a good plan, I'll have to test it with a piece of card stock, or something. You'd think a motorcycle visor would hold up to a BB, but it doesn't and after a little while it will crack and break. The BB's would scratch it and make it hard to see out over time anyway.

That's a good plan, I'll have to test it with a piece of card stock, or something. You'd think a motorcycle visor would hold up to a BB, but it doesn't and after a little while it will crack and break. The BB's would scratch it and make it hard to see out over time anyway.
true. true. i mean, BB's aren't a large problem tho, depending on how much you use the armor, you aren't going to be shot in the visor that many times, realisticly. i know its something that we should stress though. and thats also true about scratching. umm.. i cant think of anything else, not now anyway. my only other option is to make like a hyabusa or other helm that you can just substitute airsoft-safe goggles for the visor, otherwise i say its your choice.

flipboy439 said:
true. true. i mean, BB's aren't a large problem tho, depending on how much you use the armor, you aren't going to be shot in the visor that many times, realisticly. i know its something that we should stress though. and thats also true about scratching. umm.. i cant think of anything else, not now anyway. my only other option is to make like a hyabusa or other helm that you can just substitute airsoft-safe goggles for the visor, otherwise i say its your choice.

Well the visor isn't the problem, I have a paintball mask I use in Airsoft all the time, and the visor works great. I get shot in the head a lot :D.

flipboy439 said:
haha okay. so is there a problem then? ha :D

well I'm still not sure if it's airsoft proof yet. But hopefully it will be. I have a CO2 pistol that shoots about 400fps when you first put the "canister" in. If that doesn't go through it with .12 and .2 then I think it will be safe to play in.

To do something similar I simply created my Armor from EVA foam.... It works rather well as a tough customer for impact and allows good mobility. It isn't the more spectacular looking high detail fiber glassed armor..but it can be done up more.

The current type is nearly a trace and cut design..with detailing done by exacto, sculpting knife and dremel. You can do a lot with a high impact resistant foam, except the Helmet is still a cast piece and would need to be enhanced I suppose if you wanted to not repair it every so often from a good impact.

Alternative materials, for alternative uses... that's all it is.

12's and 20's are not realistic tests for airsoft proofing.

use the rounds people actually use. 26, 30 or 36. HUGE differance.

12's dont even really hurt a person at close range. and 400fps with 12's is probably about 210 or so with 26 or higher. again not realistic test. its liek driving your car in a drag race with no tires and just on the rims...

Jax Archillies said:
12's and 20's are not realistic tests for airsoft proofing.

use the rounds people actually use. 26, 30 or 36. HUGE differance.

12's dont even really hurt a person at close range. and 400fps with 12's is probably about 210 or so with 26 or higher. again not realistic test. its liek driving your car in a drag race with no tires and just on the rims...
.12s are most common among kids having "Backyard wars", and .2s are extremely common in normal skirmishes. Realistically, he should shoot it with the strongest gun he has among his friends, with whatever ammo they use.

Another option for the visor would be to put a layer of plastic on top of the motorcycle visor, as an extra "layer", protecting the visor from dents, scratches, etc but preserving the look.

yes, and the "backyard warriors" are the idiots giving the sport a bad name.

EYE PROTECTION PEOPLE AND AWAY FROM THE HOUSE!!!!! AND NEVER CARRY IT IN THE OPEN IN PUBLIC> a gun bag....is your friend.

I have been using spray on bed liner for my armor for a number of years, but not to make it "shoot at me" proof. I use it in helmets to give them a black interior and strengthen thin areas while not greatly increasing the weight. I have used it in the inside of armor that was particularly thin from vac pulls or to strengthen weaker plastics like styrene or syntra.

I'm just going to drop by and remind you all that discussion airsoft and paintball proofing armor is off limits in this forum. (See my post above.)

The reason the thread wasn't locked then and there was to continue the discussion of truck bed liner spray.

Thread cleaned, locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back