rino's odst build (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
cujo
Thanks! About the shins, the backs were a pain, but they're doable. The shins on the other hand came together fairly easily. If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Keep up the good work, your build is looking awesome!

Thanks! In regards to the shoulders I'll probably connect the top halves of both shoulders, and the lower halves. That way I can keep the hinged function of the shoulder. I agree that its a small waste of material but the QC shoulder doesnt look quite right by itself.

Thanks vshore and octorock. Octorock, I believe you have my name mixed up with another member of the 405th! lol.

rino626

Dang man that's awesome. So I had a question about the Foam your using for the shins and such, What kind of foam is it and can you get it online or is it form a local store?

Thanks bullseye. About the foam, most of us that use foam use EVA foam floor mats(the grey foam) and craft foam(the black foam) for the smaller details. I get the EVA from my local Harbor Freight store and the craft foam from Hobby Lobby but you can find both online. Here's refrence pictures so you know what you're looking for.

pk20420EVA20Foam20Floor20Mats2024_95209_95.jpg

And the craft foam.
68827-2-1.jpg

If you have anymore questions let me know.

Attachments

• pk20420EVA20Foam20Floor20Mats2024_95209_95.jpg
    pk20420EVA20Foam20Floor20Mats2024_95209_95.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 198
  • 68827-2-1.jpg
    68827-2-1.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 179
looks real gud,did you at all resize the pieces??? felt the shoulders were a little to big,so i made them slightly smaller.still wish they were alittle smaller still

looks real gud,did you at all resize the pieces??? felt the shoulders were a little to big,so i made them slightly smaller.still wish they were alittle smaller still

i say that if you arent happy with it do it again. i had to do a MKVI torso 4-5 times before i got it righ, and it really paid off

Hey stepchild, I agree with 0235! Redo it till you're happy. I didnt resize mine, but looking at some reference pictures mine do seem a little big. I'll wait and see how they look with entire suit before I decide if I want to redo them.

Thanks for the comments!

rino,
Gota say man I have been really inspired by your build, all your stuff looks amazing so far. I really love the thigh pieces and i was wondering if you get a chance could you maybe break down and color code the foam sections sections like you did with the chest piece? I'm really curious to see how you tackled those. Anyway like i said man, your work looks great and i cant wait to see the finished product!

Did you get the CQ shoulder from the 405th somewhere? Did you have to rescale it?

Can't wait to see more of what you're building!

SkullBoy

I dont think foam is hard, it just takes a little more planning than pepakura does. You have to think about how each piece of the pep file comes together, and then decide what youre going to combine when cutting out the foam. If you plan it out correctly it goes together pretty easily. If you have any questions about it, feel free to ask!

Wrath
I downloaded a huge halo pep file set from the 405th when I first joined. The CQ shoulder was included with that. I honestly dont remember where that file set is located anymore. I did not have to rescale it.

BearMan

Here's the breakdown of the thigh. The inside slats I did with thinner craft foam (a picture is posted a couple comments ago) and made threee slats instead of the 6-7 slats in the pep file. The pieces that are the same color were made from one piece of foam just like the chest core.

thigh.png

thigh2.png

Thanks for the support everyone!

rino626

Attachments

• thigh.png
    thigh.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 220
  • thigh2.png
    thigh2.png
    24.3 KB · Views: 207
Rino,

Thanks so much for that break down. like i said your stuff looks great. I'm looking forward to trying sum foam work when I get started on my ODST so your break downs will be really helpful. As always keep up the good work and thanks again!

No problem Bear, if you have any other questions feel free to ask. Goodluck with your build!

Small update for you all. Not really much explination so here are some pictures

Everything on the table has been resined and rondoed.
IMG_1276.jpg

I've begun to bondo and smooth out the chest piece and the gaunlets.
IMG_1279.jpg

IMG_1280.jpg

And I've decided to build the lower chest pieces using a little different method. They arent finished yet but here's where they stand.
IMG_1281.jpg

Comments welcome :)

More updates to come!

rino626

Attachments

• IMG_1281.jpg
    IMG_1281.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_1280.jpg
    IMG_1280.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_1279.jpg
    IMG_1279.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_1276.jpg
    IMG_1276.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 183
Thankyou skullboy and roadwarrior.

Roadwarrior, you've got the right idea but I actually built the base out of cardboard then rondoed them so that they would keep thier shape, and then I covered them in thick black fabric. The details will be made of craft foam as you can see from the picture.

Thanks again.

rino626

I apologize for the double post but I have an update.

I've finished the chest piece, other than paint.
IMG_1284.jpg

And I've started to add some details to the gauntlets
IMG_1283.jpg

Comments welcome.

More updates to come!

rino626

Attachments

• IMG_1284.jpg
    IMG_1284.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_1283.jpg
    IMG_1283.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 171
ok. the balsa wood on thw wrist. im stealing that idea, with or witout your permision, and if you say no, ill use card XD
and the chest looks beautiful. its so smooth! and thoughts on possible battle damage (even though its almost finished) or will you possibly just drybrush on some plasma scores?

Go ahead and steal it man! lol. About the chest, I'll probably just paint the damage. Probably make it look like the paint is shiped off in some places and add mud and what not to it.

Thanks for the support!

rino626

on those HD files the folds arre so freakin small. How the hell do you do that. You may not have been the only one but simply amazing.

Wow man, I've been stalking this page for a few months now and this is looking great! It's really giving me some great idea's for the ODST build I want to eventually do. Keep up the good work man. Looking forward to more posts :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back